Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What 10 inch tablet
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Missus wants one. Needs to be android and have some kind of stand up dock / charge station so she can put music on and stream to the speakers. New Samsung looks OK but pricey? Deffo not an Apple household. Ideally an micro SD card slot too. And I’d like it to have decent speakers and a headphone socket (decent dac and output volume would be nice too, moon stick etc)

onewheelgood

The Android tablet market is a bit of a desert at the moment. After spending a long time looking for a replacement for my Nexus 7, I bought a Huawei M5. I’ve got the 8″ version and the sound is really very good, as is the screen. It has an SD slot and a 3.5mm jack socket.

fossy

Samsung do some lower end ones as well.  Other option is the Amazon Fire if you want to keep prices down, but you will have ‘amazon’ apps in your face – My 82 year old MIL has one and it’s suitable for web browsing and Facebook.

bruneep
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

I cba with the amazon ads – id prefer stock android or as close as possible, and I dont think amazon au sells the tablets here anyway! we have the weakest amazon store in the world it seems.

m5 has a dongle not direct 3.5mm jack? looks alright though but would probs go for the 10″ version over the 8. I kind of expected things had moved in leaps and bounds since my nexus 10!

onewheelgood

m5 has a dongle not direct 3.5mm jack?

Oops, sorry, yes it does. My mistake – didn’t have it next to me and I don’t really use it with headphones.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Plenty of people have Android phones, iPads and Windows computers.  You don’t really gain any of the Apple wall garden goodness but you don’t really lose anything compared to an Android tablet imo.  Looking at he available competition for the iPad they’re either out of date/a bit crappy or more expensive than the iPad 2018.

My old dear has one of those (2016) Samsung A10 linked above, it’s ok, heavy and a bit laggy but generally ok – probably won’t be receiving any OS updates anymore though

verses

Plenty of people have Android phones, iPads and Windows computers.

I find the main limitation of an iPad to be the lack of user accounts, so if you’re sharing the device you’re forever logging in and out of apps.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I kind of expected things had moved in leaps and bounds since my nexus 10!

Nexus 10 did have a nice charging contact on the side which meant that you didn’t have to plug it into a USB.

Sony Z3 tablet also had one, as does the iPad Pro.

No tablets have wireless charging, which would be nice as you could just drop it onto a dock, like I could with my Nexus 10.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hmmm gap in the market, or just something that no-one wants or needs? Decent “stand up” dock would be great!

Surface Pro getting any love?

richmars

If you consider Windows, the new Surface Go looks good.

petec
    Free Member

get a small chromebook, like this one

Runs android apps, decent keyboard etc

simonalex99

Lenovo tab 4 or tab 4 plus. £150 or £250

trailwagger
    Free Member

Do people still use tablets? In my experience they dropped of the edge of the earth once phones got above 5″. If you need anything bigger than that then a tablet wont be enough of a step up, you need to switch to a laptop.

petec
    Free Member

if you want a larger tab, I’ve got the 12″ Asus

it’s superb. Very fast. Great screen etc.

CraigW
    Free Member

The Lenovo Yoga has a built in stand, it is quite handy. And speakers are pretty good. Though maybe a bit out of date now, seems hasn’t been a new model for a while.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Just got a Lenovo Tab4 yesterday. Not as nice to use or to hold as my recently deceased 9.6″ Samsung, but costs about the same and has a better spec. Seems fine so far for basic email/web/reading etc. They make a dock for it also.

ElShalimo

@onewheelgood – what’s the Huawei like?

ElShalimo

Any more worth considering?

onewheelgood

@ELShalimo It’s pricey, although less so now it’s come down by £40, but I really like it. I was looking for something to replace my ageing Nexus 7 and it does that very well. @trailwagger’s comment above doesn’t apply to me because I have no interest in carrying around a phone with a 5″+ screen – I have a Sony XZ1 Compact. I work away a lot, and my main use for the tablet is to have something to read stuff on when sat in a restaurant or hotel bar on my own, or watching catch-up TV in my room. The M5 is perfect for that, it fits in the back pocket of my Levis. It feels like a high quality item, nice metal body, speakers are very good, performance and battery life are good, everything works. Huawei’s skin on top of Android is much less obtrusive than it used to be, and the M5 comes with a lot less crapware than the Samsung S8 that work gave me. I managed to leave my Nexus on a Eurostar when I first had it, and immediately bought another to replace it. I would do the same if I lost the M5.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What 10 inch tablet’ is closed to new replies.