Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Weymouth Riding
  • crazyjenkins01

People,

I’m working and staying in Weymouth this week and looking for somewhere to ride, doesn’t have to be great, just ant to get out.

Going to give Puddletown forest an explore, but is there anywhere else I should have a look at?

Will be after work so 5ish, for an hour or so, and I don’t mind a little drive to get somewhere.

TIA 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

I’m not a local but have family down there – Puddletown is brilliant, hours and hours of fun! Not found anything else though.

snaps
    Free Member

I’m planning to explore the the trails on Portland later this year.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Grab a is map. There are quite a few rights of way in Dorset but not always very good in the winter. This time of year will be lovely. Playing in he wood head to puddle town.

cookeaa

Former Dorchester Local here…

Used to pedal to Puddletown most weekends and did longer rides following the ridgeway in both directions, seldom bothered with Weymouth/Portland TBH, but there’s some nice coastal trundling to be had that way…

gazzab1955

I live in Broadmayne just over the ridgeway north from Weymouth. Puddletown is good for an hour or two’s blast. You will have to do a lot of climbing though, nearly all the trails are either up or down, not much flat. Lots of singletracks have been created just off of the main forest trails, just pick one and go for it. Its not a huge area, about 2.5km by 2.5km and bounded by quiet roads on three sides (south, east and west) and the fenced off dual carriageway (Puddletown bypass) on the north side, so you cannot get lost (for long). There are usually plenty of locals there so always some to ask about trails or the way back to the car. Best parking are the bays on Rhododendron Mile on the eastern side, 90% of the forest is then to the west of you. I would also suggest the South Dorset Ridgeway to Hardy’s Monument. Use the Weymouth/Dorchester cycle track to leave Weymouth and at the top of the ridgeway go east on the bridleway that runs right along the ridge to Hardy’s and Abbotsbury, the views are stunning to the south and north. Either come back the same way or descend into Abbotsbury, use the old railway line track to Portesham then take the quiet lanes thru Coryates and Friar Waddon to get back to Weymouth. Don’t use the B3157 its a racetrack! There are some nice bridleways and quiet lanes to the south of the B3157, thru Rodden, Langton Herring and Chickerell, best to a get a map if you want to go that way though. Portland is also great fun, but you need to know your way around as its all designated as “footpath”, however all the locals ride it as the vast majority of the trails can accommodate walkers and cyclists, some hairy cliff top bits on the western side. Have fun.

jonm81

I’d second going up to Hardy’s Monument and then down into Abbotsbury.

This is a really good route from a few weeks ago with stunning views from the top of the ridgeway.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3707736675

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Weymouth Riding’ is closed to new replies.