Home Forums Chat Forum Wet weather ideas near Penrith

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wet weather ideas near Penrith
  • MoreCashThanDash

Away over new year, with the family, staying between Penrith and Ullswater. Walking is the main plan, but if the weather turns against us, any ideas for places to visit/things to do?

binners

Where you staying fella? We’re in Troutbeck, between Penrith and Ullswater too over new year.

We were there last new year on a particularly miserable rainy day we went to The Lake District Wildlife Park. It was a good day out, particularly the falconry displays which were indoors out of the rain

You’ve got the Rheged centre Too

duncancallum

Keswick pencil museum?

ElShalimo

Do a walk to Long Meg and her Daughters and Lacy’s Caves.

Go to the pub in Hesket Newmarket and work your way through the tap room beers.

Or the pub in Long Marton (Tirril brewery tap room)

daverhp

A ride on the Settle and Carlisle railway gives different perspectives of the Dales and isn’t expensive. Lunch in the Naked Man Cafe in Settle and home for tea and medals!

20230709_154934

ceept

There’s an eden rock in Penrith & I think an indoor wall in Keswick.

Swimming is always a good wet weather option with kids.

Also, the lakes motor museum if that’s your thing.

breadcrumb

@binners I was lucky enough to receive a falconry experience there one year, it was proper Bo I tell thee.

MoreCashThanDash

@binners we are at the Hoseasons site at Greystoke – tirns out “the lodge” is a caravan!

MrsMC had spotted the wildlife park and Rhegod, so she’s on the right lines.

Will investigate the pub suggestions….

matt_outandabout

Aira Force is spectacular after rain, and most of the walk is sheltered in the trees.

anagallis_arvensis

Have you gone on holiday by mistake? I recommend Penrith tea rooms

binners

@MoreCashThanDash – we’re just down the road from you. If you’re looking for somewhere to eat, the Troutbeck Inn (where we’re staying) is a fantastic pub that does really good food.

You’ve also got the Clickham Inn, which is just down the road from you in Greystoke. We went there for lunch when we were up there last month and it was excellent!

As @matt_outandabout suggested, the falls will be really dramatic after a lot of rain. You can add in some of the Ullswater Way too

I took this piccie on that very walk on New Year’s Day in 2020

18D858E6-40A7-45E9-ADFE-B63E187E9CED

tractionman

Ravenglass and Eskdale railway for a scenic steam train trip, looks like it’s operational over the holidays

https://ravenglass-railway.co.uk/

slowol

Rheged often has some interesting exhibitions and has a decent cinema. Cinema also available in Keswick. Also the ‘joy’ of shopping either indoors at Rheged or Keswick.
    Lots of short walks from Keswick.

Fo ancient stuff Long Meg and her daughters is impressive as is Keswick stone circle. Possibly more impressive and closer to Penrith is Mayburgh henge. Less visited than the the other two, possibly because it’s so close to the M6.
    https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/mayburgh-henge/
    There is reasonable potter for an indifferent day linked below that takes in Brougham Castle, Arthur’s rounds table, Eden millennium stone and the henge.
    Brougham Hall has a nice cafe and several artists workshops as well as being an Elisabethan castle/ house.
    https://www.edenriverstrust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Brougham-and-Eamont-Bridge.pdf

Easy cycling can be had by following the C2C mainly along the old railway from Greystoke to Keswick and probably sheltered from the worst weather.

Most other indoor stuff I can think or would be pubs, cafes or climbing walls.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ravenglass is MILES away from Penrith

Is Honister open?

The swimming pool in Penrith is pretty good, brougham castle is a good hour, Lowther castle

ElShalimo

The professional Wiganer Stuart Maconie lives in Greystoke and frequents the pub

Maybe ask him why he’s not very funny on his own but with Radcliffe he’s actually quite tolerable ?

tractionman

Ravenglass is MILES away from Penrith

it’s in the Western Lakes so not that far from Penrith!

slowol

Lowther Castle is well worth a visit. It’s mainly a ruin and gardens so great for indifferent weather rather than biblical rain. The gardens have all been revived and replanted.
    It has a decent cafe in the stable blocks without needing to go in the castle and there are lots of low level short walks from there. Free parking and cycle paths link it to Penrith so easy to get to by whatever transport.

binners

@MoreCashThanDash – having just got here after possibly the hairiest drive I’ve ever done, I’d plan for anything you can do indoors.

The wind and rain are absolutely biblical, most stuff appears to be underwater or about to be, and the forecast is more of the same. I had my bike and winter riding gear ready to put in the car but didn’t even bother as a canoe would be far more use

The pub is about to open though 😃

cleetonator

I can heartily recommend a meal in “Four and Twenty” on Penrith High St. Small menu but all spectacular. We have eaten there at any opportunity we get. James (chef) and George (front of house) are brilliant fun. 

MoreCashThanDash

The pub is about to open though

We don’t head up till Saturday, but I’ll bear it in mind. If you’re still in the pub at the weekend we’ll have to see if we can meet up!

binners

That’d be great!

The Troutbeck Inn is a top place. We’re here until the 5th Jan. We stay in one of 3 self-catering cottages they’ve got behind the pub. Nic and Al who own the place are just lovely

@cleetonator
    – Thanks,  I’ve mad a note of that place. We’ve been told that Brunch at Lake Road Brunch in Keswick is another essential that we’ve not tried

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.