Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wet Weather Gear Recommendations?
  • shooterman

What have you found works well for we weather?

Thinking trousers and jacket and more than just showerproof. It should be able to last at least an hour’s riding in heavy rain if such products exist.

What has worked well for you?

escrs
    Free Member

Madison Zenith waterproof trousers with zip off legs converting them into shorts have been good for me, used for the MTB and for commuting in all weathers

As for the top half Ive never had any issues with Altura Nevis jackets, two front pockets, chest pocket, pit zips for air flow and a large rear pocket, again used for MTB and commuting in all weathers

dovebiker

Gore Shakedry jacket – makes everything else seem old hat. Awesome breathability too.

I have a pair of GoreTex shorts to cover my thighs – not as clammy, restrictive as overtrousers and I can live with wet feet, lower legs if riding without mudguards. Easy to roll-up and carry in back pocket or to put on with shoes etc.

For serious, all-weather commuting the first thing is a bike with full-length mudguards.

spooky_b329

Endura shell style waterproof
    Altura 3/4 waterproof shorts over 3/4 tights
    Winter boots
    A buff to stop the drips down the neck
    Northwave gaiters (unless your winter boots already have stretchy ankles)
    Windproof gloves (never found a pair of waterproof ones that last and are warm enough in torrential rain)

With this setup I’m completely dry and can finish a muddy ride, wash the bike, and then turn the hose on myself from the neck down to get all the mud off, without getting wet (apart from hands and exposed shins…I find a bit of skin is vital for temperature regulation so avoid full tights unless its freezing)

(and it will keep me dry all day, not just an hour)

z1ppy

I usually go the decathlon route, for cheap yet durable jackets with pit zips, & their new AM waterproof jacket looks good. Instead I have been hugely impressed with the endura singletrack jacket, I bought on sale, after a m8 recommended it. Never had a jacket that didn’t become clammy to some extent during exercise, especially in the rain. I’m actually struggling with how good it is, as I had thought only the thin (fragile for mtb) gore shakedry was this good. I’ve spent more on jackets in the past, that haven’t worked this well. Also got some great Polaris waterproof shorts that they decided to only sell for a short while, then never re-stock…why do that?

pothead
    Free Member

Endura mt500 jacket, Fox Ranger 3l waterproof pants, Sealskinz mtb socks and Shimano am9 shoes. I also have a pair of Decathlon AM pants, they aren’t as good as the Fox Rangers but were £40, the Fox’s are around £140 last time I looked and aren’t worth paying that much extra. The Shimano shoes aren’t waterproof but the flap over the laces when worn with sealskinz is the best combo I’ve found for dry feet

shooterman

Thanks to all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wet Weather Gear Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.