• This topic has 36 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by tonyd.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Wet ride , dry arse – is this possible?
  • dti

Any clothing tips for keeping dry on a 1-2 hour ride – or just man up

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mudguard.

davros

👆 And shorts with rear waterproof panels

Northwind

Waterproof shorts won’t generally give you a completely dry arse, but they make a hell of a difference (you need just hte right balance of temperature and effort to stay completely dry, even the most breathable waterproof material is still sweatier than open fibres) Combined with full mudguards it’s as close as you’ll get.

ads678

What sort of ride? I used to ride along a VERY wet muddy canal tow path to work every day on my gravel bike. Full mudguards meant that my arse and upper body stayed preety much completely dry unless it was actually raining. Feet got bloody soaked from spray off the bottom of the gurads though!

DanW
    Free Member

Mudhugger will sort that

oreetmon
    Free Member

Gravel mud hugger ?

Mine haven’t sorted that problem 😡

flicker
    Free Member

Mudguard.

No they don’t look great but neither does a line of crap sprayed all the way up your back….

ton

mudhugger front and rear and goretex army trousers cut to knee length.

i prefer to be dry rather than be fashionable.

dc1988

I’ve recently gone for a full mudguard setup front and rear, I know this used to be the done thing years ago but it definitely went out of fashion. Anyway, it’s fantastic and I don’t care if it looks silly as I remain mud free. I also own waterproof shorts but they are very sweaty

molgrips
    Free Member

Waterproof shorts exist for exactly this reason. As do mudguards.

abingham

Road/Gravel/CX or MTB?

For the former, full length mudguards (I use Velo-Orange, but any will do) – job done.

For the latter, suck it up, it’s part of the experience!

gordimhor

I’ll say it. You need an e bike.
    Very well played OP.
    You need a mudguard to stop the mud.
    You need waterproof shorts to stop spray that makes it past the mudguard. They do make you sweat. Therefore you need an e bike so that “you don’t have to try too hard”
    (This particularly applies anyone who can remember the Denim aftershave advert from the late 70s)

tall_martin

mudhugger front and rear and goretex army trousers cut to knee length.

i prefer to be dry rather than be fashionable.

I have the same, but with RAF goretex cut down trousers

matt_outandabout

+1 Mudguard (on road or gravel, down low/mibbe wee flap on front one)

+1 on spray-proof shorts or waterproof shorts

BadlyWiredDog

+ whatever for a rear Mudhugger if it’s a mountain bike. Just brilliant in proportion to its hideousness.

tonyd

I have some old Gore waterproof shorts that are excellent, however for 1-2 hours I’d say suck it up as long as it’s not too cold. You’ll get wet one way or another, spray or sweat, and if you go with waterproof shorts you’ll need a waterproof top too, to stop the water going in the top of your shorts.

Not a fan of mudguards on MTB personally, not because they look silly, but the ones I’ve tried have only done half the job – bit impractical to put full guards on a mountain bike!

zerocool

One of those very silly downhill romper suits that German DH riders like

Northwind

tonyd
    Free Member

I have some old Gore waterproof shorts that are excellent, however for 1-2 hours I’d say suck it up as long as it’s not too cold. You’ll get wet one way or another, spray or sweat, and if you go with waterproof shorts you’ll need a waterproof top too, to stop the water going in the top of your shorts.

Really not my experience tbh. I mean sure, a waterproof top is better, if it’s cold enough but I ride in waterproof shorts and normal riding tops for a lot of the year, and though it’s not perfect it’s still way way better than just sucking it up in nonwaterproofs.

matt_outandabout

One of those very silly downhill romper suits that German DH riders like

Eldest won one of those for helping at the Trans Savoie. Funky.

appltn
    dmorts

There’s a company called Spotty Otter (and I’m sure there will be others), who make dungarees, coats and full waterproof suits for young kids. My son has one of the PU suits and it just wipes clean. It seems the ideal type of thing for adults riding bikes in filthy conditions…. bar overcoming any overheating issues!

Apart from the price, I don’t think those POC dungarees are a bad idea at all.

matt_outandabout

Anything that isn’t breathable and vented (like those kids spotty otter things) will be like a wearing a fishmongers window.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have the Madison DTE shorts and wore them on most of my weekly night rides last winter. Really pleased with them. Rarely bother with a waterproof jacket, usually a lightweight windproof or for the first time last year I wore my Buffalo shirt on a few filthy wet nights.

tomparkin

like a wearing a fishmongers window.

Utterly OT, but that’s a new one on me!

Meaning clammy/sweaty, from the context?

v7fmp

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-singletrack-one-piece-mtb-suit/rp-prod199359

you may feel a bit of a tit initially, until you realise these things are worth their weight in gold.

Might be a bit extreme for some conditions, but when its properly wet, they are excellent. I look forward to getting mine out for the winter!

matt_outandabout

Indeed. I have memories of non-breathable jackets and trousers at outdoor centres – it is then you realise how much sweat a good breathable and ventable (chest & pit zips!) jacket is…

tomparkin

Going back to OP…

I run waterproof shorts with no mudguard.

Waterproof shorts are a stopgap measure at best, I find, they tend to delay the inevitable rather than keep you nice and dry, and they do have breathability issues.

But for all that they’re great, and keep a bit of chill off into the bargain. IMO once you’re sodden/cold in the shorts region the ride is coming to a close.

EDIT: have considered rear mudhugger before now, and will doubtless again

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not a fan of mudguards on MTB personally, not because they look silly, but the ones I’ve tried have only done half the job – bit impractical to put full guards on a mountain bike!

You’ve tried the wrong ones.
    As above, mudhugger. Just wish they’d introduce a quick release bracket. Can’t be that hard…..

MoreCashThanDash

Another Mudhugger and waterproof shorts user. Not pretty or always comfortable, but works well enough.

Fwiw, this winter I’ve swapped from GravelHuggers on the gravel bike to SKS Speedrockers, and initial reaction is looking better and working better, especially at the front.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Crud XL rear guard and a dry arse here

oldnick

So, it’s a Goretex romper suit, Mudhugger, and I reckon a rain cape to stop any weather getting a look in.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rear Mudhuggers are reduced at CRC, after reading this thread I’ve ordered one to give it a try this winter.

Better be good, considering how shit they look.

fossy

Penmachno for us at weekend – we’re getting wet. I’ve waterproof shorts and winter boots, with dry suit ‘cuffs’ for added protection (mainly to keep warm).

I commute on the canal on a 90’s MTB with full guards, and a long flap on the front. Overshoes or winter boots are enough to stay clean/dry

martinhutch

Full length waterproof trousers are great. But you’ll still have a wet arse just from the sweat.

Alex

Crudcatcher XL On the front. Makes the rear Mudhugger looks aesthetically pleasing 😉 Mudhugger rear is great, as long as you don’t have to look at it, and make sure you protect your frame with decent tape (it’ll eat its way through electrical tape/invisiframe etc)

I do have waterproof shorts. Used to go Endura but they last about as long as a wine gum. Have a pair of the shiny fully waterproof endura’s as well but a) they are a bit narrow for knee pads b) they have a drawstring waist which is pretty rubbish and c) they are basically an open ended plastic bag in terms of breathability.

last year I bought some Polaris versions that have a high back and come with braces/bib. They seem to work really well and stop the dreaded ‘grit-bum’ when it’s very grim.

this year I’ve succumbed and bought some actual trousers. Only DWR not fully waterproof but since I have ugly guards(tm) F&R I reckon they’ll be fine.

I probably think about this far too much. That’s riding 25 British winters for you!

tonyd

Those Endura romper suits look good!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Wet ride , dry arse – is this possible?’ is closed to new replies.