Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • wet Brooks….
  • monkeyboyjc

so had teh first ride on the new (to me) Brooks Swift titanium today, it was great on the way in, however became very uncomfy on the way home in the very heavy rain.

It was apparent why when i got off teh bike at home – the leather had softened and deformed tomuch….

is there any way of stopping this?

uplink
    Free Member

Aren’t you supposed to proof the underside?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Proofide

RustySpanner

Let it dry naturally, don’t ride it ’till it’s bone dry, apply Proofide on both sides, polish the top then fit mudguards if it’a road bike or a big seat pack if not.

Don’t tighten the tension nut, you’ll ruin it.

I find they fit better after a good soaking, once dried out.

monkeyboyjc

i’d already proofided it – both sides…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

carry a plastic bag – they require some care to keep em their best.

i do like to soak mine after the first couple hundred miles – that is ride it in the rain not stick it in the bath ….

from then on i just carry a plastic bag under the seat and if it rains i cover it …..

trail_rat
    Free Member

and they are right – do not touch the tension nut when its wet – when it drys it will tear its self to bits !

RustySpanner

You can get an official Brooks rain cover, they come with new saddles, but aren’t much cop really.
    They might send you a free one if you ask nicely, they did when I lost mine.
    A thin coat of dubbin on the underside might help, but can soften the saddle a bit too much.
    A good slathering with Proofide should do the trick.

And seriously, mudguards or a seatpack if you’re planning on getting a regular soaking.

ruscle
    Free Member

Rusty is correct. Also I find profide just conditions the leather not waterproofing. I have heard of people using ‘sno-seal’ with good results, I will try this out soon. So far my saddle has spent the majority of It’s life wrapped in a plastic bag, but still the most comfy saddle ever.

trail_rat
    Free Member

official brooks cover is pish …. great for rain from above but bottom is open to assault ….

remember to take the bag off again to breath 😀

those old audaxers really do know a thing or two about this sorta shit – their bikes may look a bit rough but they are finely honed machines with tescos bags for saddles for a reason;)

rootes1

They are just not fit for purpose, get a proper modern saddle and leave the brooks to fixie hipster and older beardies…..

I mean a saddle you can’t get wet in the uk…….

ruscle
    Free Member

Just try 1 out for a few months then see what you think…

RustySpanner

Don’t think his pocket money will stretch that far 😀

genghispod
    Free Member

Had one 30 years ago. Then it rained.

monkeyboyjc

mmmmm, i think i may need a second ‘winter’ saddle…..

bedmaker

disappointing. I was hoping for a thread of this…

maxray
    Free Member

Lol, what’s the point in an expensive saddle you have to cover with a carrier bag!

trail_rat
    Free Member

function over form dear watson …..

yet to find a saddle i can sit in for 40 out of 48 hours on my road bike yet that isnt brooks.

on the commuter/utility bike its excellent as i dont need cycling shorts to be comfortable so i can nip to the shops on it in normal clothes

the suspended leather nature takes alot of trail buzz out.

i bought 1 to test years ago when i started audaxing and speaking to folks who suggested i at least try one. did 1 ride on it , fell in love – wasnt even broken in just felt shaped right despite being wooden ….broke it in and it was just getting better and better so good i used to move it round all my bikes

then i bought a black one and stuck it on my ss MTB – it has been crap – never been all that comfy – it just doesnt seem to be breaking in ….

bought a brown swallow Ti last year for my long distance riding mtb and its awesome – jut getting better and better again – despite initial fears id just wasted an obscene ammount of an uncomfy saddle 1

RustySpanner

They do vary, tbh.
    Current B17 narrow was a plank for quite some time, but is now pretty perfect. Took a good few months to break in though.
    20 years old, gets used on my commuter/tourer all year round without problems.
    Was less than £20.00 new.

I think the prices charged at the moment are crazy and I won’t use one on the MTB, cos I like to hang off the back and don’t want my balls ripped off by the metalwork if I get things wrong.

Currently using a £20 Charge Spoon on the MTB and it’s fine, as was the Bel Air it replaced, but each has only lasted me a year or so, less economical in the long run.

uplink
    Free Member

I find them far too slippy, fine comfort wise – I just slide about on them too much for my liking

RealMan
    Free Member

wtf? You can’t get them wet? That’s ridiculous.

crikey
    Free Member

On the other hand, it means that only people who go out in the dry get exposed to the sight..

RustySpanner

I think they look wonderful.

Course you can get them wet, just treat them like you would a good pair of leather walking boots, no problem!

RustySpanner

Oh, and if anyone ever wants to sell one they can’t get on with, especially a titanium B17, please let me know.

E mail in profile.

slugwash
    Free Member

Plastic bag it if there’s a bit of rain about….

And, I know it’s about as acceptable to say on a bike forum as making a racist/sexist/fatist joke in a public sector social services admin meeting but, after two years solid breaking in, cycling on my Brooks saddle feels like sitting on a sack of grenades & I might just chuck it in the bin.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘wet Brooks….’ is closed to new replies.