Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • West Highland Way start
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Can someone tell me what the first bit of the whw from Milngavie to Drymen is like?

I was planning to ride it on cx bike. But am now a bit time pressured and if it is really rugged will bail out to road.

Cheers

scotroutes

CX will be perfect

DavidB
    Free Member

Aces! Finally, the bit from Bridge of Orchy down to A82?

scotroutes

If you don’t do the WHW from start to finish, following the route all the way you’ve “merely” cycled from Milngavie to Fort William. If that’s all you want to do, take a road bike and stick to the tarmac. 😆

DavidB
    Free Member

I am not trying to do the WHW. That is for another day. I am looking for a route that maxes out experience but leaves enough in the tank for a very stupid thing I need to finish the next day.

scotroutes

😆 Go on….

The bit across Rannoch Moor, from Victoria Bridge to Kingshouse is pretty rough but folk were managing it on hardtails years ago. If you’re in a hurry, the road would be better, faster and less tiring.

DavidB
    Free Member

I have taken the cx bike over Snowdon, Sca Fell and then like a massive idiot I will hulk it up Nevis on Saturday. Don’t ask why? Just wanted to see if it could be done. The 4 hour Sca Fell carry from Wasdale to Seathwaite must surely win a prize for the most pointless cycling thing ever.

scotroutes

Oh aye – I recall a previous post. Well done. At least you have the weather on your side – just make sure you have lots of water with you.

Kunstler

The 4 hour Sca Fell carry from Wasdale to Seathwaite must surely win a prize for the most pointless cycling thing ever.

You might reassess that when on doing the whole WHW you find yourself at the top end of Loch Lomond. The part to Drymen is easy going under the tyres (I did most it in the dark last week) but there are plenty of gates to go through.

I admire the folly of your challenge with Ben Nevis. Good luck.

13thfloormonk

Good luck Dave! Bridge of Orchy down to A82 is just a very short section of Tarmac, unless I’m misunderstanding your question?

We did Milngavie to Drymen on singlespeed CX, think there were a couple of wee lumpy sections where you might pinch flat if you were careless, but nothing more.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way start’ is closed to new replies.