Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 380 total)
  • Welsh Ride Thing…..
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

I just called Tracey at the Aleppo. She says if I could call her on Thursday evening with the food order from their menu they will open up around 11.30 for us and make sure the food will be ready and waiting.

So order here but keep it simple for me.

Lasange x 1

Chew
    Free Member

@pistonbroke

Think we might trump you on distance, we're comming down from Leeds.

Quite keen on that lift offer. 2 bod's 'n' bikes if you have room

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Oh the Aleppo looks nice, put me down for a lesagne x1 as well. Pretty much on the way for me too 🙂

Space in Car for 1 person / Bike on the way up from Cheltenham area if any one is from down this way 🙂

SSP

Holy crapola

I have just found out that all my route planning and replanning is going to be bloody pointless

I have just packed basic kit onto the bike for the 1st time ever no food and probably not everything else that I will need and then tried to ride it round the cul-de-sac

It steers like a drunk cow and the slight incline felt like a 1 in 4

Pistonbroke, I was surprised by your location, you must do some big rides if you class the WRT area as local

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I have just found out that all my route planning and replanning is going to be bloody pointless

Once you are out in the hills it is amazing how little that line on the map matters 🙂

As for the drunk-cow handling…you get used to it and you can always push the bike up the hills (as I do!)

SSP

As for the drunk-cow handling…you get used to it

I hope so, I nearly fell off turning round at the end, all my day dreams
    of pelting down Welsh hillsides evaporated in an instant

IanB
    Free Member

The Aleppo is a bit of further for me from Brecon, but I wouldn't want to miss out on a good meal and a bit of chit-chat, so count me in 😀

(Large) jacket potato topped with tuna and ham, please.

alfachippy
    Free Member

Definitely count me in for lunch at the Aleppo, I'll go for the Sausages and Mash.

alfachippy
    Free Member

[The Aleppo is a bit of further for me from Brecon ]

IanB I am heading up from the South via Abergavenny, do you fancy a lift?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Hi Chew, No prob on the lift, leaving about 9.00 I'm 10 mins off J37 M1 heading towards Manchester.E Mail me. Just a thought on roofrack, its designed for normal dropouts with front wheel out not these new fangled scaffold pipe things but could get them inside at a pinch.

Blackhound

Sausage & mash and double epo for me please………..

Chew
    Free Member

pistonbroke, no email in your profile, but there's one in mine.

Got my highlighter and mug off tea finalising our route.

IanB
    Free Member

@alfachippy – many thanks for the offer, but I need to head back on the Sunday as I have a birthday party to go to on Monday…

alfachippy
    Free Member

It steers like a drunk cow

Over active, I know what you mean the 1st time I rode a loaded up bike a couple of weeks ago it felt like I was riding with a flat back tyre all the time.
    I have found that it helps a lot if you can get the front to rear weight balance right. I have moved my saddle bag from behind my seat to the front of the frame just behind the head tube, between top and down tube and it made a big difference as firstly the weight of all my tools is removed from the rear and also the pack on my rear rack could move forward quite a long way. Tyre pressures will also need to be increased…. 😉

alfachippy
    Free Member

A picture paints a thousand words…. 😉

pistonbroke
    Free Member

There's a really alarming number of singlespeeds doing this event, do you know it's in Wales?

alfachippy
    Free Member

And this is what the broken rim looked like…..oooer. Best get out to the garage and start swapping my wheels over.

Somebody stop me I've just finally worked out how to upload photos 😀

JohnClimber
    Free Member

pistonbroke – Member
    There's a really alarming number of singlespeeds doing this event, do you know it's in Wales?

I was thinking the same, I've got 2 SS's I could use but the full bouncer with gears is coming this weekend.

I can't imagine how difficult climbing out of the saddle will be on a SS what with all that weight on the bike swinging around underneath you

IanB
    Free Member

I know, but I can't resist. And I live here too. It must the all the fresh air…

Ordered a 20t sprocket today though from On-One to "play it safe" 😯

JohnClimber
    Free Member

alfachippy – I do like how you've invertered your smaller saddle bag just behind the bars. I might steal that idea if it will fit.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Ahem … I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know the midges have just hit town half an hour ago!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

still s8tannorm – Member
    Ahem … I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know the midges have just hit town half an hour ago!

Whacko – Garlic bread with my Lasange on Saturday then

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Ref your food order, please, please, please remember what you've ordered.

I'm not making a note of your names next to what you want.

with 2 of my riding buddies so far I've asked for

4 x Lasagne with salad and garlic bread
    3 x Saus n mash
    1 x (Large) jacket potato topped with tuna and ham

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

All this food talk is making me hungry…..

Packed everything up last night. Including food (but not water) I'm at 13lb. Not too bad, think there's one or two things I could lose to make it lighter.

thomthumb
    Free Member

we *may* make it for 12 but chances are slim.

we gotta get from southampton (leaving @ 6)

if anyone would like to PM me with a mobile number – we may give you a call on sat am.

Thom

pistonbroke
    Free Member

JC can you put me down for Sausage & Mash if you haven't already, ta.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I have stop trying to confuse me

flatfish
    Free Member

now i'm down to the 12lb mark but this could become a tad lighter if the weather plays ball.
    oooooo the excitement!

😀

Still strugling with amount of kit

What does any one think about doing without a sleeping mat? its not that cold anymore and I could find some long grass or bracken

Anyone going with the idea of a cotton liner in a bivi bag? I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in the thread

OAKAF

orangefive
    Free Member

fekking weather, link says reasonable temp so not sure what to wear now…. gillet and long sleeve, lightweight waterproof sweatbag, etc…. think gillet and long sleeve will win. As long as you keep moving you wont get cold. waterproof 3/4attacks? Hate wet arse crack!

hmmmmmmmmmm ?

Nick

I think 4 of us might be coming to the pub for lunch, just waiting for confirmation.

Gear weigh is now 9.86lb without fuel and food 8)

Nick

How much does your mat weigh over-active?

orangefive
    Free Member

knife n fork

If in bivvy you should be ok if you can handle a hard surface, I like a (little) bit of comfort so have a wee airic – depending how big your mat is you might be able to wrap around frame.

Gear weigh is now 9.86lb without fuel and food

Nick would you give us your gear list please

I wont be able to change much if its full of expensive lightweight stuff but may give some ideas

Orangefive, nice bike

Edit sorry Nick missed post, dont know weight but its a Thermorest 3/4 so not that much

Nick

I'd tak the mat, a good night's sleep is worth it imo.

I'll be taking in two Alpkit XT 20l dry bags:

In one: (2.5kg inc dry bag)
    Alpkit PD400
    Home made micro tarp with ti pegs
    MoD Goretex Bivvy Bag
    Alpkit Wee Airic

In two: (1.98kg inc dry bag)
    Alpkit Gamma head torch
    Stuff bag with toiletries and insect repellent
    Lightweight fleece shirt
    Alpkit Mytimug
    White Box Stove
    Plastic Spork
    Flint & Steel firelighter
    Nalgene Hip flask (currently empty)
    Lifesystems Pocket first aid kit
    Mora Woodcraft Knife
    Stuff sack containing:
    Ron Hill Tracksters
    HH underwear
    Two pairs of socks
    Spare batteries for head torch and gps

Will be taking my normal Endura Waterproof and cycle spares, haven't included them in the above as I would be carrying them anyway.

Will probably bungee some crocs to the rear dry bag for river crossings and wearing in the pub.

Need to print of the maps, 25 pages at 1:25000, so that's a 1/4lb not included above…

Ok I just need to MTFU, Very similar kit list

In bar bag 13ltr

Sleeping bag in Rab bivi bag
    Large tarp (for all 3 in group)
    Petzl Tikka

In 20ltr rear bag

Thermorest 3/4
    MSR pocket rocket
    gas
    2 pans (again between 3)
    pan holder
    Rab photon
    spare socks
    base layer
    arm warmers
    lighter
    maps
    cup
    spoon
    Gecko gps

normal tools to be carried in normal backpack with waterproof

food to go in yet

thomthumb
    Free Member

Will probably bungee some crocs to the rear dry bag for river crossings and wearing in the pub

i wish my crocs weren't radio active orange!! 😕

orangefive
    Free Member

Nowt up with orange!! 😉

i wish my crocs weren't radio active orange

I'm starting to wish I had some crocs

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 380 total)

The topic ‘Welsh Ride Thing…..’ is closed to new replies.