Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 380 total)
  • Welsh Ride Thing…..
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Isn't water bloody heavy?

Back pack weight without water just 4.1 lbs
    With 3 litres of water 10.6 lbs

Most of the other stuff's on the bike

shaggy

Another no show here 🙁

My knee is playing up and I don't want to make it worse. Shame as I was really looking forward to it.

BTW kit was down to a hair over 8lb with no food but including everything else (Wingnut, tools etc.). The Top Fuel was under 30lb loaded 🙂

Have fun!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Stuart, looks like you've devised the perfect event format, everyone enters and pays, no-one turns up. Don't worry I'll be there with my gammy knee and buggered shoulder, you give up putting things off when you pass 50 it's too dangerous. 😀

placid_casual
    Free Member

almost ready.
    time to take it all off again and get it in the car…

nostoc
    Free Member

It looks like I'm going to have to give it a miss this weekend. The University has told me that I have to get the corrections to my PhD finished by Tuesday and I would really like to tell them to shove it up their arse but it is over four years work. Bastards bastards bastards.
    I'm well pissed off by this but hope it all goes well.
    Kevin

Bastards again

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

At this rate I'll have to go 😉

There's a few who can't make it but more who can … unless they haven't said they're not coming. To everyone who can't make it, you've still helped a worthy cause and there might just be a next time*. To those who are coming, the mountains will be quieter and you'll have a better chance in the raffle 😀

*Cue for flatfish to start jumping up and down.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Well I will be there tomorrow (as the alternative is DIY and I am not old enough for that cliche) and have the bike sorted and bags packed. 12.5lbs all packed plus food and water (in camelbak) I have ditched the sleeping bag and just have a liner and merino layers to keep me warm…hope it stays nice! Lots of food so I will not have to rely on odd-opening time local shops or making detours.

Time to carbo-load and get an early night 🙂

SSP

Pics here (if they don't work above) My Blog

placid_casual
    Free Member

is it too late to switch to my singlespeed…?

Jealous of your saddlebag SSP

3 out of 4 of us still coming see you all at the start, darnt go to the pub still need loads of faff time before the start as I am the only one of the group that has even seen the maps yet

thomthumb
    Free Member

Isn't water bloody heavy?

weighs a ton

per cubic meter!!

i wish my kit was a slight as some of those ^

dead excited. almost finshed waterproffing maps 😯

JohnClimber
    Free Member

placid_casual – Member
    is it too late to switch to my singlespeed…?

Not a chance in hell for me, have you seen how much climbing there will be?
    Out of the saddle climbing with that weight on board, no thanks.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

For those who have ordered food on route

Don't forget to get to here
    Aleppo Merchant Inn
    Carno
    Caersws
    SY17 5LL
    for 11.30am tomorrow and remeber what you ordered

trio25
    Free Member

Nearly packed! I certainly have lots of food!

Paulio
    Free Member

All packed now, can't wait to get going. I was pleased with how light it all was until I put in the food and water.

Blackhound

In the words of Nigella 'never knowingly under catered' Just had a leaking bag of water so everything is out drying…

Suspect I will be pushing the climbs like the singlespeeders;-)

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

still getting the remaining stuff together at same time as cuddling the wee boy and hanging new curtains in his bedroom. think i may forget something…..

alfachippy
    Free Member

May I just add…..woooooohooooooooo…..can't wait 😆

All loaded ready to go, rear pack appears to be heavier than at anytime before and so I feel a last minute un-pack…re-pack at the start to shed a few grams. I am absolutely pooped now with all the faffing 😳

Perfect preperation for the weekend.

See some of you at The Allepo at 11:30 for lunch.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Finally properly sorted. just got to fill my camelbak in morning. and pack my toothbrush. and pump my tyres up. and lube my chain…..

weighed everything, 13.5lb on bike including food. 7.5lb in camelbak not including water! Seems like everything's got really heavy all of a sudden!

flatfish
    Free Member

it'll be reet, don't stress about it too much, you'll just be lighter next year.

IanB
    Free Member

What a superb weekend that was:

121km ridden
    21 photos taken
    11 hours of riding
    7 checkpoints visited
    2 days in the saddle
    1 gear…

Had a great time, overnighted in Claerddu Bothy with blackhound to dry kit out from Saturday's "showers". Today was superb – the highlight was going over Monks Trod this morning.

More photos here

Hope Monday goes well for the rest of you all. Look forward to hearing more reports and seeing some other photos.

Thanks for Stu & Dee @ Forest Freeride for getting us all together and motivated to do it in the first place 😉

placid_casual
    Free Member

saturday looked mostly like this.

while sunday looked like this…

a grand weekend. click for pics

JohnClimber
    Free Member

What a great weekend, how long before you lost interest in counting the grid ref's. We started to forget about them about 11am on Sunday morning.
    A great event with a 90 miles ride/push/wade with an average of just 6.4mph
    Day one – the start

Day two – another moorland crossing

Day 3 The End

Nick

Absolutely cracking weekend, highlights include our only potentially serious mechanical on top of the Monks Trod in the howling wind, mist and rain then getting crotch deep in the bog on Saturday evening, up and down the splashes and the Doethie Valley on Sunday and the endless climb through the middle of nowhere to Esgair y Ffordd today.

Great to meet a few of you, think I can only name one – Tom (hope the drive home today was/is ok!), but everyone seemed to be having a great time, special thanks to the chap on the Genesis SS who gave us the way to avoid the Hengwm valley and to the Landlord and Landlady of the Teifi Inn who fed us, watered us and let us sleep in their shed 🙂

About 120 miles, we officially got 10 checkpoints but rode past Claerddu bothy to get to the pub in time for dinner on Saturday night and nodded in the direction of Moel Prysgau when we rode past it twice.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Evening all, legs aching well I hope … I've just put the list of raffle winners up on the WRT blog http://welshridething.blogspot.com/ you never know you might have been lucky 😉

I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who came and made a great effort … if anyone fancies more stupid antics out in the hills watch this space,

Stuart

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Too knackered to work out the climbing stats or download my photos of an assortment of semi ruined farmhouses but thought I'd add my thanks to Stuart and Dee for what was the best 48 hours I've spent in a long time.
    My numbers were
    142 miles total, 45 Saturday, 58 Sunday and 39 today.
    19 hours riding, all 13 checkpoints visited and discovering the best equipped bothy in Wales.
    Put me down for next year.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Well done Piston for getting all 13, you must have had local knowledge or you're super human, or both.

Here are our shots, nothing special be we had a laugh
    DSC01510

Blackhound

My photo's here have I have linked correctly. A great weekend, thanks to Stuart and Dee.

=http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/12617230@N03/sets/72157624179369696/]

Blackhound

Link hasn't worked and not got time to sort out. Will try again later in week…

orangefive
    Free Member

Blackhound – Member

Link hasn't worked and not got time to sort out. Will try again later in week…

Try this

P5290253

Chew
    Free Member

Big thanks to Stu and Dee, or the organisation, and Duncan for all of the advice and the lift across.

We did 144 miles, abot 26 hours on the bikes, and got 12 of the checkpoints (missed number 11).

trio25
    Free Member

Had a great time! Not sure about the final breakdown of distances, have yet to do the geeky bit at home as was so tired last night! But we managed 11 points, it was only an extra 10km of easy looking riding to get the other two that we missed out but we knew we would be back late on monday so left. I have to say that it was mainly Ali's excellent route planning that led to us getting so many points! Think we rode 130miles in total, in fact it was only the saturday that we weren't quite on our target miles – I'm blaming the weather for that!

Very very tired now and wishing I was still in bed not at work, but at least I am just sat in the office!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

We managed 6 checkpoints in the 24 hours from our slightly-earlier-than-everyone-else start on saturday. Arriving soaking wet at a warm bothy at 7pm on sat night meant that we were going no further. Finished at around 1pm on Sunday. With a few mechanicals.

No idea on distance just yet. Will plot route and find out later.

Just a brilliant event, will do all 3 days next year (friend's weddings notwithstanding).

Massive thanks to Stuart and Dee for organising a really good and chilled out event.

thomthumb
    Free Member

go home at 2:30 this morning, abandoned the stuff int he car and had a shower and straight to bed; man did that car stink when i got the bike out for the commute this morning.

thanks to stu and dee for the best event i've ever done.

nice to meet nick and the Shropshire contingent, and everyone else we chatted to.

the day at work would be made much easier without the sunburn. (leaving sun tan lotion in the car is not a good way of getting pack weight down!!)

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I like how Stuart didn't give a dam about how many check points anyone did and filed the papers in the bin.

Just think of the weight saving next year. No pen…..

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Only Pistonbroke offered his bit of paper on returning … everyone elses must have turned into a soggy mess within half an hour of the start 😉

Dee's been to the post office this morning so everyone who won a raffle prize but wasn't here should have it within the next couple of days.

For anyone who wasn't riding (and has the slightest interest) below are this years grid references.

SN842692
    SN806612
    SN794482
    SN784534
    SN793687
    SN751535
    SN746658
    SN855759
    SN908799
    SN839931
    SN837793
    SN785892
    SN773790

Start and finish point was SN871975

flatfish
    Free Member

Just think of the weight saving next year. No pen…..

i told you you'd spend a whole year geeking out on ultralight weight kit!

terrahawk
    Free Member

apparently a load of bikes were stolen – anyone else hear about this?

IanB
    Free Member

everyone elses must have turned into a soggy mess within half an hour of the start

I ate mine* and committed the answers to memory…

And everyone knows pencils are lighter than pens 🙄

*not really 😉

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Terrahawk … think you might be talking about another event. This is the 'Welsh Ride Thing' not the Big Welsh weekend.

Trust me not much chance of owt getting stolen from here … you've got to find the place first, then get past the llamas 😀

trio25
    Free Member

We carried a lock, but only used it at the pub stop and think the bikes would have been fine!

I am shattered today, but still beaming as it was so much fun!

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 380 total)

The topic ‘Welsh Ride Thing…..’ is closed to new replies.