Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Well done Chris Packham
  • jimw
    Free Member

About time more people stood up to the CA.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/sep/07/countryside-alliance-bbc-sack-chris-packham

He was speaking up against illegal activities don’t forget, do the CA really want to be seen to be tacitly supporting criminality?

In my view, it is important for those living in rural or semi-rural areas to make sure people don’t think we all support hunting and the illegal killing of birds of prey.

Edit: I changed the link

geoffj

Linky no worky

fasthaggis

In his column in October’s edition of BBC Wildlife magazine, Packham criticised conservation groups as being “hamstrung by outdated liaisons with the ‘nasty brigade’ and can’t risk upsetting old friends” in rural communities.

Matt Swaine, editor of BBC Wildlife, said: “Chris Packham is clearly expressing his own views in the column and part of BBC Wildlife magazine’s role is to be a forum for exactly this kind of discussion.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve liked him ever since his “Chris Moyles is a celebration of mediocrity” rant on Room 101.

MrSmith
    Free Member

he has some funny ideas about urban foxes too. this is what happens when you hand somebody a platform to speak to the masses who’s verbose but has nothing to say.

he should team up with the equally moronic Russel Brand and Stacey Dooley.

jimw
    Free Member

he has some funny ideas about urban foxes too. this is what happens when you hand somebody a platform to speak to the masses who’s verbose but has nothing to say.

Strange that, I thought the CA were up in arms because he HAS something to say. Which I happen to agree with wholeheartedly. He has a degree in Zoology and decades of experience. I therefore think he is reasonably qualified to make the comments that he has. People who disagree with him obviously don’t wish to acknowledge his position, fair enough, but he is respected by a wide community.

I find him irritating and likeable in about equal measure.

Pigface
    Free Member

Packham criticised conservation groups as being “hamstrung by outdated liaisons with the ‘nasty brigade’ and can’t risk upsetting old friends” in rural communities.

He has a point but I would never tire of hoofing him in the slats, he really bmw and gmg’s

DezB
    Free Member

I couldn’t believe how old he is!

ninfan
    Free Member

I think that BFSS have missed the target on this one

Packham has for a long time been one of the more moderate presenters, and has repeatedly spoke out in favour of deer stalking and fox control etc. and rarely criticised game shooting, rightly recognising a number of the beneficial impacts and pointing towards a favourable comparison with other countryside industries – I think his criticisms, where levelled, have been in the main targeted towards unacceptable practices and I see nothing wrong with that, however I do think that he veered towards a lazy poke with the ‘nasty brigade’ references etc, and I think that his skill and knowledge should have kept him above that.

He’s no ‘fat controller’ thats for sure.

jimdubleyou

I find him irritating and likeable in about equal measure.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT9hGAlt89o[/video]

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

is he just another Clarkson for the bbc?

MoreCashThanDash

I’ve always respected his outspoken style – loved the fuss when he said he would eat the last panda to try and make a point.

Sadly his pragmatism didn’t extend to the proposed road race circuit at the Derby velodrome. The problem with getting a celebrity involved is that they encourage lots of people with no local knowledge or experience to get involved in causes that don’t actually affect them, distorting the debate.

Win some, lose some, I guess.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Wasn’t he twitching Michaela Strachan? OT that obviously…

IdleJon

MrSmith – Member
    he has some funny ideas about urban foxes too.

What ideas?

DezB
    Free Member

is he just another Clarkson for the bbc?

Pretty much the polar opposite, I’d say. Doesn’t have delusions of being a comedian for one thing.

ahwiles
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

What ideas?

he says we shouldn’t lose any sleep over them, and it’s even ok to feed them once in a while.

STATO
    Free Member

he says we shouldn’t lose any sleep over them, and it’s even ok to feed them once in a while.

I dont get why thats ‘funny’?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I thought Packham was excellent in Street Fighter 2…

RustySpanner

He’s very, very annoying.

I agree with much of what he says, but his sulky petulance at the fact that people won’t do what he wants, NOW! reminds me of a two year old.

ahwiles
    Free Member

STATO – Member

I dont get why thats ‘funny’?

now try pretending that you’re a daily mail reader.

Foxes are evil vermin, they’ll definitely try and kill you and your children. They probably killed Diana. Foxes cause cancer, and there needs to be a cull.

etc.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Foxes are evil vermin, they’ll definitely try and kill you. They probably killed Diana. Foxes cause cancer, and there needs to be a cull.

….only the “migrant” ones. Coming over here, taking jobs away from British foxes….

MrNice
    Free Member

it’s a “funny idea” as in “I don’t agree and I know best”. Have you forgotten this is STW?

pictonroad

A spare 20 minutes tracking down his desert island discs wouldn’t be wasted. He’s a pretty complicated character, self loathing doesn’t begin to touch how he talks about himself.

It’s difficult listening at times, how someone can feel so uncomfortable in their own skin and how he feels about some of his close relatives.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Foxes on bikes are evil vermin, they’ll definitely try and kill you and your children. They probably killed Diana. Cycling foxes cause cancer, and there needs to be a cull. They don’t pay road tax and look stupid in their Lycra. The rise of foxes on bicycles has lead to a sense of entitlement, especially amongst the tree-hugging anti-roadkill brigade with their contempt for everything from rabbits to red lights

FTFY 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm.. he’s Ok in my book he gets:
    7/10 for ideals
    6/10 for his gurning capabilities
    7/10 for outlining the Countryside as a place to live and work
    8/10 for adding his sardonic personality
    5/10 for his choice of outdoor clothing
    3/10 for musical taste

matt_outandabout

Is he also deserving of credit for the national television, prime time statement of “is there nothing better than a bit of black cock in the morning?”

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I’ve liked him ever since his “Chris Moyles is a celebration of mediocrity” rant on Room 101.

And for that reason alone he’s alright in my book too.

redstripe
    Free Member

Just don’t try and sit on one of his chairs though

CountZero

MrSmith – Member

he should team up with the equally moronic Russel Brand and Stacey Dooley.
    Let’s see your your CV on the same subjects, so we can see just how much experience you bring to the discussion.
    As you live in London, I’d suspect very little, your knowledge of wildlife I’d suspect being largely restricted to feral pigeons, rats, gulls, foxes and parrots.
    He’s a lot more realistic about human/wildlife interaction than some presenters, and talks more sense than some, too.
    Good taste in music, as well, but I’m in no position to criticise his sartorial choices…
    I’ve absolutely no idea who Stacey Dooley is, never heard of her, but comparison with Brand is facile, as Brand is ignorant about pretty much everything, but talks as if he knows everything, and uses his celebrity status with the ignorant and impressionable to get lots of publicity, which makes him obscenely rich.

IdleJon

I’ll see a couple of ‘urban’ foxes later on when I ride home from work. ( Well slightly urban, ex-industrial land, maybe even suburban, near-ish the city centre sort of thing) I tend to see a couple, along with bats, rabbits and the occasional owl.

Should I worry that they will mug me and steal my bike after eating my face? 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

Britain is a genteel country indeed: a place where a TV presenter calling someone “nasty” in a nature magazine is the cause of angst. We are lucky to live here.

hammerite
    Free Member

Would the STW collective dislike him more if I tell you the OH saw him eyeing up ebikes in a shop in Buxton a couple of months ago?

matt_outandabout

Only so he could chase the fox…

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

I quite like Stacey Dooley (BBC3 tracking drugs) as well as Chris Packham, I didn’t expect to but sometimes she asks some fairly searching questions

MSP

Only so he could chase the fox..

😯

ps, ever noticed the remarkable similarity between biker fox and Terry Nutkins?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ffs, I am just about to eat

MrSmith
    Free Member

Let’s see your your CV on the same subjects, so we can see just how much experience you bring to the discussion.
    As you live in London, I’d suspect very little, your knowledge of wildlife I’d suspect being largely restricted to feral pigeons, rats, gulls, foxes and parrots.

i dont have a C.V as i have never needed to produce one for a job, but to indulge your suspicion I grew up in a small rural village spent a fair bit of time on big estates as well as small farms, family were in the gunsmithing trade, uncle was a gamekeeper. shot since i was old enough and used to go foxing/pest control at night a fair bit.
    now living in London (opposite a nature reserve though) i have to make do with the foxes eating babies nappies out the bins though we do have owls here and i had a jersey tiger moth in my bathroom a couple of weeks ago. was lucky to see a pair of cornish choughs last week while on holiday (3 pairs of kestrels but sadly not the peregrine falcons resident in the area).
    so while i didn’t study wildlife at higher education level and have no formal qualifications in the subject i have some experience of U.K. wildlife and am fairly good at at identifying stuff, probably a little more than most londoners.

not that it matters if you know your stoat from a weasel or can tell a crow from a rook to be allowed to form an opinion on urban foxes and i dont think you need a BA in the subject to post on here? 😕

jerrys
    Free Member

not that it matters if you know your stoat from a weasel

That’s easy:

One’s weasily identified and the other is stoatally different 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Well done Chris Packham’ is closed to new replies.