• This topic has 50 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by kevs.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Weights weight
  • wonnyj
    Free Member

I’ve got some basic dumbbells through amazon (might have been ebay). 2 x (3kg, 5kg, 8kg, 10kg) . Think they were about £140 at end 2019.

Great for a wide variety of stuff. As above consistency and variety is key. Also keeping it fun.

Only thing I’m missing out on is larger weights for big compound moves like squats – but i am finding that bodyweight moves and using a different technique with these dumbbells can be adjusted to make them harder if required – e.g. squats can be made harder by doing them with heels off the ground, or by more reps, or by less rests between reps

Those Nino workouts are excellent as well – one for the garden gym in the spring.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

@wonkey_donkey you can utilise it in many ways. Within a 15 minute session I stand on it and do lunges as well as kettleball swings and weight lifting. I also do two and one handed press ups on it. This video will give you a better idea.

hugo
    Free Member

We should all get wobbly seatposts so we can engage our “stabilisation muscles”, whatever they are when they’re not just our actual muscles.

Introducing a non steady platform just makes the original exercise (and 90% of the effectiveness) useless.

These exercises have their use in physiotherapy, for example regaining proprioception during injury recovery, but…

For standard training they are a waste of time. You just end up doing less effective exercise with more muscle soreness (soreness does not equal gainz but is often confused for it).

Sorry.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

@hugo that’s okay, I’ll stick with my doctor’s advice as opposed to yours. There’s plenty of articles online crediting them for weight loss and muscle gain and I have first hand proof of it.

hugo
    Free Member

Your doctor is telling you to use a wobbling platform to exercise on?

More likely, your doctor has told you to exercise and you’ve also swallowed an infomercial. It’s natural to defend something if you’ve just spaffed a load of cash on it.

I’m glad you’ve seen progress. Ditch the gimmick and you’ll see more.

hugo
    Free Member

Just googled it. Two and a half grand. Ouch. No wonder you’re defending it. Sorry, fella, you’ve been sold a pup.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

@hugo na £180, the same one I posted in my og post. And yes my doctor did recommend it as I suffer from joint issues due to arthritis. I can give you her number if you like. Or you can stop being an arse.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I think what is important is that captainclunkz has found something that has got him enthusiastic enough to exercise regularly for 3 months (which should build a good life changing habit), has lost a very significant amount of weight and feels stronger and feels good about it. The results are really what count.

Doubly so considering the gyms are shut and access to equipment is limited.

toby1

2k flat out run for me yesterday followed by
    4x
    15x kb swings 20kg
    15x deadlifts 20kg
    15x goblet squats 8kg
    15x bicep curls 20kg

Final set I upped the goblet squats to use the 20kg kb, the earlier rounds also had a from from chest to above my head press, not as possible with the 20kg bell though.

And as above, if something works for you and you aren’t getting injured, carry on!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Using less weight for squats than curls? You must be a unique shape! 😉

kevs
    Free Member

Thanks for all the recommendations, I couldn’t find any reasonably priced in stock kettlebells so one basketball, some steel tubing and a bag of postcrete later and I have a 14kg kettlebell for zero cost as I had it all already!

When I feel like I need heavier I’ll try and buy a proper one but this is doing lovely so far

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Weights weight’ is closed to new replies.