Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Weight question (front end)
  • ricky1
    Free Member

Just replaced my frame with a rather lovely Santa Cruz superlight which lives up to it’s name,very light indeed compared to my old frame set.
    However the front end lets if down as it’s way to heavy,I’m running 120 mm recon gold rl’s on mavic crossride wheels and a hope headset(probably the heaviest headset ever).
    I’ll be investing in carbon bars in the future but can I invest in lighter forks apart from paying £500+ for some,any other ideas for full frontal weight loss,the stem I have is an fsa os 190.

DanW
    Free Member

In what way do the current components let down the Superlight’s ride? Just feel sluggish? Chances are everything is heavy on the build so it’d be minimal gain I reckon. Secondhand is the way to go if you want to start dropping weight. £150 should get some decent lighter forks (Sids, Fox, Durins, etc) and around £70-80 will get whatever lighter wheel you fancy. Stem is a 70-80g saving at the very most.

The way the forks are set up will also make the front end feel particularly nimble or sluggish. Personally, I enjoyed my Superlight most with 100mm forks as it kept everything sharp and snappy. Experimenting with sag, rebound and any compression controls you might have change the feel of a fork quite a lot. I would be looking at tyres and fork set up before anything else with regards to how the Superlight rides.

I have some Fox FIT 100 RLC’s and a Pro II hub built with Stans Alpine rims if you decide to look in to new components. Wouldn’t be after much as I just need them out of the house.

slackalice
    Free Member

DT Swiss 120’s? I get confused with their range, but XMM?

rcz bikeshop

These guys often mail me DT forks with sizeable discounts.

ricky1
    Free Member

Thanks dan,your offer sounds good but after this build I’m pretty much skint,had a bit more of an in depth bonding session with it today and realised that the front end wasn’t to bad for weight really,I mean I could probably shave a few gramms and I’m probably being very stringent in regards to weight,I haven’t even been out on the trails yet and I’m moaning already,curiosity ask the question of how much you would be asking for the rims and hubs though?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Weight question (front end)’ is closed to new replies.