Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Weighing in alu scrap- what sort of value to expect?
  • Northwind

I’ve got probably about 60kg of aluminium parts to weigh in- no ferrous stuff at all, it’s car and motorbike wheels, some engine casings, and a bunch of motorbike swingarms. There’s a reputable scrappy near my work so I can’t really be arsed to “shop around” or anything but anyone got an idea of what I should expect? (I don’t expect to get ripped off, but it’s still good to have a clue)

TheDTs
    Free Member

Never as much as you would hope. Rock bottom price at the moment.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a motorbike wheel you could add to that pile if you are glentressing at some point

simondbarnes

About £20

taxi25
    Free Member

Scrap Metal Prices UK

Alloy wheels showing 80p a kilo so maybe £48 ish.

Northwind

Nice one, cheers folks- in the same sort of ballpark as I thought. Not expecting an awful lot, it just basically overcomes my hoarding instinct if I at least get a little beer money out of it instead of keeping it all Just In Case.

scotroutes

Roughly how much does the alloy wheel off a van weigh?

Edit: never mind. 10Kg each wheel.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

£450/ton for aluminium at my local scrappies yesterday.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Ouch on the household scrap price-
    We have loads to weigh in at the office for the Xmas bonus- sure it was about 1300-1400 beginning of the year.

One clown at work insisted on splitting up the bonus in February as it’s how he did it at his old place. We keep it all until Xmas. Last years was pathetic but he got an equal share despite starting in November. So he got his 20% then and agreed to nothing at Xmas.

This year it’s now huge and he is kicking off about how unfair it is that he is not getting any.

doomanic

The scrappy may not accept the wheels if they have tyres on them still.

tjagain

Do you not need an account with the scrappies now to weigh stuff in?

squirrelking
    Free Member

No, you just need ID and they can’t pay you in cash.

bigdean

How do you find the scrap prices? I must have 30kg of carbide and struggle to get prices.

alanl
    Free Member

This gives the current wholesale prices:

Scrap metal prices

simondbarnes

How do you find the scrap prices? I must have 30kg of carbide and struggle to get prices.

It’s not been out long so you may not of heard of it yet but Google can be quite useful…

https://www.google.com/search?q=scrap+carbide+price+uk

bigdean

It’s not been out long so you may not of heard of it yet but Google can be quite useful…

Wow so helpfull “it’s a good idea but they’ll never make any money from it”, just seen a bear go in the woods. Could you check something for me…..

Most websites seem to want you to send the stuff then get a quote.

Back to the OP r.e. alloy wheels. I was led to belive the grade of aluminium was quite different (as in specific to wheels)/ not that in demande hence wheel prices being quite low.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Yeah, take ID and bank card. All very regulated these days.

I weighed some copper in this week, first time at a scrappy in years.

They need photo ID (driving lcence), and bank card, and they paid by electronic transfer into my bank account.

Wasn’t expecting any of that, but slick and efficient.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Weighing in alu scrap- what sort of value to expect?’ is closed to new replies.