Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 273 total)
  • We Believe: The Best Men Can Be
  • funkmasterp

😂

djglover
    Free Member

cookeaa

No, the target is macho dickheads, isn’t it really obvious?

Actually having thought about it a bit more, the goal of any comercial marketing campaign is seldom to change a specific group of people, it’s normally to align your product/brand with the values and aspirations of your target market so that they choose your brand over another.

In this instance Gillette are not trying to persuade the modern oaf to change his ways they’re simply using him to illustrate a set of values; trying to persuade men who already hold/practice (or at least aspire to) the values put fourth by that advert, that their razors are the type that such a man should use…

So Gillette are targetting the “Millenial Snowflakes” not “Macho Dickheads”.
    I’m sure P&G have a more “Manly” brand somewhere in the catalogue for the “Macho Dickheads” to scrape fluff from their chins before splashing on the old spice and heading out on the pull…

lucky7500

Never mind the metropolitan police advice not to wade into confrontations, if proctor & gamble say I should then I probably should. I’m sure they have my best interests at heart. After all, surely a multi billion dollar corporation with a questionable (at best) history of ethical positions wouldn’t stoop so low as to co-opt an important cultural concern just to sell me massively overpriced razors and washing powder…would they 😉

Drac

Never mind the metropolitan police advice not to wade into confrontations

I’m not sure they were talking about stopping kids from fighting at your BBQ.

wwaswas

Interesting analysis of the ‘social media storm’ reported by the BBC:

https://twitter.com/a9ri/status/1085177058135810048

mickmcd
    Free Member

So Gillette are targetting the “Millenial Snowflakes

Why not if the British army can?

Wonder if people in the ad will sue for being portrayed as the worst a man could get

rene59
    Free Member

koldun
    Free Member

I’m amazed (and a little sad) that it caused such a stir.

I’ve not seen any women being offended by the ad’ yet, many seem to think its quite good. If Jordan Peterson and Piers Morgan hate it, it must have some redeeming features 😉

Dolcered

If piers morgan is as up in arms over it as he was the vegan sausage roll, it probably has some merit.

a lot of angry men might just be recognising themselves.

back to gold digging.

rene59
    Free Member

I’ve not seen any women being offended by the ad’ yet

Apparantly Carol Vorderman thought it was offensive. Also these girls thought it was a bit hypocritical and an attempt to pander to soy boy beta cucks.

loum
    Free Member

Looks like an advert that will probably boost their sales of women’s razors.
    Probably intentionally.

“How can we make our masculine brand more appealing to a feminine market?”
    “Could we piggyback the me too movement…”

RustySpanner

Also these girls thought it was a bit hypocritical and an attempt to pander to soy boy beta cucks.

Have you tried knocking one out?

It might make you feel better.

koldun
    Free Member

Also these girls thought it was a bit hypocritical…

Those girls may be right to feel that way about the company.

…and an attempt to pander to soy boy beta cucks.

This may well lead to people reading your comment to make some assumptions about you. I take it you find the ad offensive?

molgrips
    Free Member

Actually having thought about it a bit more, the goal of any comercial marketing campaign is seldom to change a specific group of people, it’s normally to align your product/brand with the values and aspirations of your target market so that they choose your brand over another.

That is normally the case, as seen in things like VW ads where they focus on the family and show the dad doing domestic things with the car, rather than burning rubber on the open road*.

However this is far more pointed than that. It feels to me like they are trying to join in the fight in part because it’s the right thing to do, but also with an eye on the fact that this will go down well with younger demographics. And women too, let’s face it, they make a lot of women’s stuff and this is probably far more potent than rollerblading with dogs or whatever it is ad agencies think women like these days.

* Incidentally, car ads in the US are very much the old school tough guy kind.

funkmasterp

However this is far more pointed than that. It feels to me like they are trying to join in the fight in part because it’s the right thing to do

I wish that were true mol, but this is a large corporation we’re talking about. It’s just marketing, pure and simple.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes it’s marketing, but it’s marketing by association with actually doing something positive. So, like I said – a mixed bag of motives. There have been many other instances of this in recent years, and in my view you can’t discount someone’s positive action simply because they ALSO gain good publicity from it.

Drac

Also these girls thought it was a bit hypocritical and an attempt to pander to soy boy beta cucks.

I guess they missed the point of the Ad where Gillette made it clear they’re moving away from old promotions like that.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I’m not sure they were talking about stopping kids from fighting at your BBQ.

There was a street attack that was broken up in the advert, yes?

Also, the bbq incident was clearly rough and tumble.

Did you know that current expert opinion is that rough and tumble is an important part of child development?

So Gillette stand for damaging health childhood development apparently.

Drac

Awwww! Bless little Tommy getting all confused.

molgrips
    Free Member

Did you know that current expert opinion is that rough and tumble is an important part of child development?

It’s only positive if both kids are playing. You should be able to tell if one kid is upset or afraid, or one kid is overly aggressive.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Awwww! Bless little Tommy getting all confused.

I find your need to use humour to achieve dominance interesting, given the context of this being a fairly reasonable debate. Were you bullied a lot as a child Drac?

psyciatrist

Drac

It’s just bants. Yes.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

*e-hug*

The Gillette advert told me I should give you one.

rene59
    Free Member

Bants looks a lot like toxic masculinity. Do you do the BBQing by any chance?

jekkyl

So we’re not allowed to look at wimmin’s arses anymore? ☹️

Drac

Bants looks a lot like toxic masculinity. Do you do the BBQing by any chance?

Snowflake. Yeah but I only do the steaks rare like a real man.

outofbreath
    Free Member

So we’re not allowed to look at wimmin’s arses anymore?

As long as you’re Lesbian or Trans-Woman Lesbian it’s totally fine.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I thought being a TERF was the in thing now and that trans people were as offensive as men.

Edukator
    Free Member

Seen the social media strop but that’s the first time I’ve seen the ad. I’m failing to have a problem with it. I agree with the message. Not sure what’s it’s got to do with razors, would like to know the composition of the board of the company and what the company itself is doing to make it’s own work places equitable and free from harrassment. And I’ve had a beard for over 30 years.

lucky7500

*e-hug*

The Gillette advert told me I should give you one.

Fortuitous that the clip ends before the punchline!!

mickmcd
    Free Member

So we’re not allowed to look at wimmin’s arses anymore?

Offended you spelt women’s wrong

locum76
    Free Member

It’s incredible how many times folk use the words snowflake and gammon at each other doubtlessly thinking the terms are cutting and hilarious.

I think the saddest part of all this nonsense is that it shows up the majority of men, on both sides, as being unable to progress beyond playground fighting and name calling. Right now in 2019 it should be possible for us to make constructive steps in what we want to be and our sons to be in the future without banal bickering.

Women have it sussed, they’ve made huge advances in their freedoms and life choices by working together. Us men are basically still dragging our knuckles on the ground and speaking in grunts.

With a bit of luck this Ad and other future attempts to impregnate the thick, leaden skulls of men with compassion and sensibilty might eventuallyone day get us all to WAKE UP and live in some kind of harmony with each other without the chest beating.

Drac

taxi25
    Free Member

Women have it sussed, they’ve made huge advances in their freedoms and life choices by working together. Us men are basically still dragging our knuckles on the ground and speaking in grunts.

What a totally patronising post. Some women have some haven’t, women are just people, some are great others are dicks,they aren’t something as a group men should look up to and try and emulate. And just because you drag your knuckles on the ground I don’t and nor do many men. The problem with the advert (if there is a problem) is that it gives the impression that apart from a “few” exceptions most men conform to negative stereotypes.

rene59
    Free Member

C’mon Drac, you do know men can give birth as well? Honestly you are such a knuckle dragger.

Daffy

I don’t mind the ad, but then I don’t take a lot from it either. If it’s on the TV, it’s trying to either entertain you or sell you something and the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

As others have said, Gillette will have known fine well that their add would cause some controversy especially in the US, but marketing for a large company isn’t interested in the now, it’s interested in the future. So perhaps reacting to we’re losing sales at the bottom end to Harry’s Razors. What’s the demographic of those we’ve lost? Without slashing price to compete, are we ever going to get them back? No – okay, we need to move the marketplace. What about an ad which cements our position with a demographic who doesn’t care so much about price, but about perceived quality and ease of supply and image?

It’s now just a numbers game – X% offended (the demographic you’re already losing) vs. y% approval (the demographic you’re targeting). Are they close? Yes = run the ad. Maybe = Probably still run the Ad. No – don’t run the Ad.

Simple.

In my view, you can still be a man without being an oaf.

Marin
    Free Member

Never seen the ad till now. Totally underwhelming and I’ve just grown a beard anyway. Just used the gf safety razor to shave my arse. Does that win me metrosexual points??

RustySpanner

Why on earth would you want to shave your arse?!?

In my view, you can still be malt without being a loaf.

The most sensible thing I’ve read all day.

RustySpanner

I don’t seem to be able to post images anymore…

200 btw….🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘We Believe: The Best Men Can Be’ is closed to new replies.