Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 273 total)
  • We Believe: The Best Men Can Be
  • rene59
    Free Member

By the looks of the comments and the dislikes this video has, I hope none of you have money invested in this company…

funkmasterp

I don’t shave and that has just cemented my inclination to continue not to do so. Cringeworthy when a company tries to cash in on something like that. Stinks of design by committee.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nope. I think they are trying to make a point and have tied their name and slogan to it. That doesn’t annoy me as much as a load of other shit out there.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s for the American market which does say and act slightly differently but I’d say it’s heart is in the right place

Yeah looking at the comments it’s 100% predictable

This is what happens when you hire your marketing department from liberal arts colleges. Edit: So when do you think Gillette will pull the video?

Notice how it was black men stopping white men from being bad. Like that ever happens.

HAHAHA the marketing director was too afraid to say “no” to a feminist VP’s ad pitch. So this is the consequence.

This solidifies my decision to never buy a Gillette product again. So sick of the feminization of boys and men in this country.

this is clearly propaganda and that’s coming from a woman

They’re not attacking men in this video. They’re explicitly attacking white men. Watch it again and pay attention.

Some lovely people out there. Shame they forgot Rule 1

rene59
    Free Member

Shame they never made one for their womens products encouraging them to be real women and not gold digging whores.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Shame they never made one for their womens products encouraging them to be real women and not gold digging whores.

Wow, thats quite the opinion you have there.

Not the first time you’ve come out with demented misogynistic bollocks either…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m sure there is room for more on the list

rene59
    Free Member

Oh it’s only men we need to teach how to behave. I see, sorry.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh some whataboutery…. It does appear that there are some significant problems in society, using a male orientated product to highlight that to their target audience seems a good way to get the message across and saying that it’s time that things changed. I have not followed to see if other people are making ads aimed at women, have you? Where did you check?

rene59
    Free Member

Where did you check?

Your post history. If they had you’d be up in arms.

tinribz
    Free Member

Oh some whataboutery…. using a male orientated product to highlight that to their target audience seems a good way to get the message across…

Whoosh

Blacks in the UK commit three times as much crime. Make a list of why racial profiling is wrong, you might get it.

stewartc
    Free Member

Hart seems to be in the right place and the core message of leading by example is something we can all agree to.
    Now, if we can just get tampon adverts to shy away from skydiving and riding horses over deserted beaches to an evening of complaining about bike trips appearing to take precedence over family holidays advertising may start resembling reality.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Blacks in the UK commit three times as much crime. Make a list of why racial profiling is wrong, you might get it.

PMSL and you think I have missed the point!! Nobody has been profiling these men, it’s a lead by example campaign. Seems some have a real problem with that.

squirrelking
    Free Member

No, just the ones that believe women generally need convincing not to be gold digging whores.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Straight edge razors, leather jackets and big **** off aviator watches to massively increase in sale volumes and google searches. Gillette to drop 33 percent of it’s share price inside a week.

Get woke, go broke. Same happened to BFV.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s heavy handed in tone but absolutely spot on in message.

If you think it’s not a message that needs to be spread then you’re part of the problem. So what if it was made by a woman? Why might a woman have a personal stake in men’s social behaviour?

Talk about straw clutching. It’s a product aimed squarely at men, so that’s why it’s a message about men. And the behaviour it addresses is cultural and highly damaging, so that’s why it needs addressing at a mass level.

molgrips
    Free Member

Blacks in the UK commit three times as much crime

I wonder why….?

martinhutch

Hart seems to be in the right place and the core message of leading by example is something we can all agree to.

I thought he did Head and Shoulders?

rene59
    Free Member

I wonder why….?

Cultural? It’s highly damaging, maybe we need a campaign.

Funny how it’s acceptable that these type of things are only aimed at men. Most commonly white men at that. Seems to be the only group that gets blamed (in a socially acceptable way) as a whole for the behaviour of a minority within it. Men are supposed to hold other men accountable for their actions, men as a whole need to change, calling people toxic for the way they are. The same people who endorse this would be the first to shout if the same was asked of any other group. Why are they so blind to their own hypocrisy?

mickmcd
    Free Member

No, just the ones that believe women generally need convincing not to be gold digging whores.

Black bloke once wrote song about this but he wasn’t saying she was a gold digger…and he used the n word….oddly he was an artiste so it was OK

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The same people who endorse this would be the first to shout if the same was asked of any other group. Why are they so blind to their own hypocrisy?

With the power comes the responsibility. As a group we are the ones with the most power and the greatest ability to make a change. Perhaps you are not seeing targeted ads to people who are not like you….

rene59
    Free Member

As a group we are the ones with the most power and the greatest ability to make a change. 

Every group has the most power over their own and have the greatest ability to make a change within that group. My point still stands. Any other group targeted with such as message wouldn’t be acceptable.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I hope none of you have money invested in this company…

Who? Gillette?

They could just release a video of them burning a huge pile of money with the tag line “this is your money, but it smelled a bit funny, we don’t want it.”

They’re the biggest player in this market by far, they first created the ‘fancy razor’ thing in 1998. They spent $750m in R&D at the time developing the Mach 3, which is long, long, long recovered.

Their blades (various types for Men and Women) cost between 10p and 15p each to produce – they cost around £2-£3 for consumers and they sell around 20 million of them a year.

The advert is pretty jarring for people my age (40ish) but we don’t matter, we’ve long decided how we’ll shave and very few people ever change, but it’s not for us, it’s for people like my Son, he’s 13 and will need to start shaving soon, that advert is perfectly aligned to his thoughts, he and his mates (sorry, friends, ‘mate’ is too male biased) are falling over each other to be more progressive and more offended than each other.

PrinceJohn

Is it not just top notch gammon baiting?

Or do people not like it because they recognise the toxic behaviours in themselves, and are looking for someone else to blame?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah. Sure. Whatever.

Wilkinson Sword, here…  🙄

trailwagger
    Free Member

The advert is pretty jarring for people my age (40ish) but we don’t matter, we’ve long decided how we’ll shave and very few people ever change, but it’s not for us, it’s for people like my Son, he’s 13 and will need to start shaving soon, that advert is perfectly aligned to his thoughts, he and his mates (sorry, friends, ‘mate’ is too male biased) are falling over each other to be more progressive and more offended than each other.

this

squirrelking
    Free Member

The same people who endorse this would be the first to shout if the same was asked of any other group.

Nope, I know folk within LGBT circles campaigning against transphobia, bi-erasure and other issues. But let’s not allow facts to get in the way of another MRA rant eh?

wwaswas

I think it’s a bit heavy handed but what is it about the message people are struggling to accept?

“Be nice to people” doesn’t sound particularly contentious.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Legal wearing of chunky watches and cock-bragging rights?

scotroutes

I think it’s a bit heavy handed but what is it about the message people are struggling to accept?

“Be nice to people” doesn’t sound particularly contentious.

Pretty much that.

I watch little TV so don’t see many ads but I can see that this one is less about the product and more of a moral message. Maybe that’s what upsets folk? They’d rather see some homo erotic shaving going on (preferably a hunky young man, tanned. topless and gleaming with moisture).

digga
    Free Member

Dreadfully miscalculated bit of virtue signalling nonsense. Gillette are rightly being pilloried on social media.

kelvin

I am also disgusted that this advert is targeted at men only.

Also, there are too many white men in this advert.

Outraged I say!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I mean I think it’s a little cash cow milky milky, after all, as Bill Hicks said, “if you work in advertising…. ” , but I always find this sort of thing is great for bringing certain people out of the woodwork. It’s part of the movement that you may have heard of challenging the actions of men, which of course often disliked by those who seek to lose that power and usually gets dressed up as a legitimate concern about ‘reverse discrimination’ and going too far. This is just the start OP and I think it’s grand, because it’s being debated on a cycling forum.

mickmcd
    Free Member

Don’t worry there will be a womens minority group hatching a plan because they were left out of the target audience

When did Gillette decide what a man should and should not be? I thought they made razors with ever increasing blade counts

hodgynd
    Free Member

If it bothers folks that much just ignore it ..can’t see what all the fuss is about ..but then I don’t usually take much notice of this kind of bullshit ..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When did Gillette decide what a man should and should not be?

So is any one actually disagreeing with the don’t be a dick message there?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mehh, I had the misfortune to witness a red faced Piers Morgan shouting over a “radical feminist” on the mess room TV this morning.

I’m with gillette on this even if I wasn’t before.

imnotverygood

I don’t object to the message. I object to being lectured to by a company whose aim is to sell razor blades. It’s the sanctimony of what is actually an advertising campaign which grates. Think Benetton. It’s just annoying.

scotroutes

So is any one actually disagreeing with the don’t be a dick message there?

Most folk don’t like being lectured to, especially if they feel that they’re not, individually, part of the problem.

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t object to the message. I object to being lectured to by a company whose aim is to sell razor blades. It’s the sanctimony of what is actually an advertising campaign which grates. Think Benetton. It’s just annoying.

It is not at all difficult to avoid the advert or products. Oh, and referencing Benetton proves the success of their strategy, no?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘We Believe: The Best Men Can Be’ is closed to new replies.