Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 273 total)
  • We Believe: The Best Men Can Be
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Gilette are ****s for pink tax, obselescence and over-use of plastic etc, and will remain so despite this virtue signalling.

imnotverygood

Benetton proves the success of their strategy, no?

Let me just check…. nope. No Benetton garments in my wardrobe, so not that successful really.

richmtb

^^^ Is a fair point. Did Gillette not recently get taken to court over charging more for their Venus range?

Still I can agree with the message without necessarily supporting the companies prior actions.

The fact its caused masses of butthurt on Youtube among halfwits who like to use phrases like “femi-nazi” and “corrosive left” means its probably doing a good job.

ransos
    Free Member

Let me just check…. nope. No Benetton garments in my wardrobe, so not that successful really.

They failed to sell to a frothing gammon? They must be devastated.

DezB
    Free Member

Them sides ain’t gone shave emselvs

ransos
    Free Member

The fact its caused masses of butthurt on Youtube among halfwits who like to use phrases like “femi-nazi” and “corrosive left” means its probably doing a good job.

I take the view that if Piers Morgan hates it, it’s probably ok.

batfink
    Free Member

I’m struggling to get upset by this, I must say.

If it’s infuriating a load of knuckle-draggers into the bargain….. then I guess it’s a net positive?

rone

Positive message – tonally awful.

Some of the ‘dramatiZations’ would’ve pass for 90s cinema.

nedrapier

I didn’t watch it. but I did see the gif of the lady doing the “whoosh/over the head” mime.

Who’s she?

nerd
    Free Member

I don’t know why men are getting so upset. Everyone knows that real men have beards, and so have no need for razor blades, and can blithely ignore these adverts, whilst chopping wood and saving kittens from trees.

Anyone who wants a smooth, lady-like face is already a feminised cuck, and so the advert is unnecessary.

Tallpaul

Lots of Men recognising these behaviours in themselves and getting very upset that the inanimate object they thought was their friend is judging them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most folk don’t like being lectured to, especially if they feel that they’re not, individually, part of the problem.

Very true, I hope they managed to just ignore this advert as they had already worked out how to be a decent person. I guess they feel the same way about drink driving, speeding and seat belt ads. It’s a tough life.

Nico
    Free Member

If you think it’s not a message that needs to be spread then you’re part of the problem.

YOU’RE part of the problem.
    No, YOU’RE part of the problem.
    No, YOU’RE part of the problem.

etc.

scud
    Free Member

Whilst i agree with the sentiments of a sort in the ad, it is a bit much being preached to by a company that feels the razor should be mostly plastic and thrown away, who has previously been all about men being manly and who charged more for the female version of their razor over the male version with an identical blade in it…

I think a lot of the problem with modern culture (making myself sound really old now) is that instead of preaching “be good to one another, treat everyone fairly”, we constantly try to put people in different groups, make that group feel like they are different to everyone else and then hold that group up on a pedestal often, with the media really not helping because everything has to be a conflict, whether it be trans-rights, immigrants or even just cyclists vs drivers.

postierich
    Free Member

People spend loads of dosh on landfill tat how strange! embrace the foliage

IHN

Most folk don’t like being lectured to, especially if they feel that they’re not, individually, part of the problem.

Thing is, folk never think that, individually, they’re part of the problem, pretty much regardless of what the problem is.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Real men don’t get upset about adverts. (Except when they banned the orangutang one at christmas, the monsters).

Having said that 🙂 There are 2 versions of the ad on youtube.
    The 31 second version had me thinking “Damn right!”
    The 1:49 version had me thinking “eff off!”

Theres something about the longer one (tone?) that makes react negatively to an ad that is putting forward a view I completely agree with.

On balance, thats probably not a good ad.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Until Gillette make a 5 blade shaving chainsaw, I’m OUT

scotroutes

Thing is, folk never think that, individually, they’re part of the problem, pretty much regardless of what the problem is.

True, but lumping any demographic together and judging them all by the same standard is exactly the sort of prejudice we should be seeking to avoid. For instance, on a topical issue, how many times have folk on this site blamed the older generations for Brexit, despite the fact that not all of them/us voted the same way?

tinybits
    Free Member

I didn’t watch it. but I did see the gif of the lady doing the “whoosh/over the head” mime.

Who’s she?

yes, loving the plunging shirt, you can almost see her tits!

oh – the adverts aimed at me isn’t it?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Pass me a **** razor ..not another Brexit thread ..

imnotverygood

I guess they feel the same way about drink driving, speeding and seat belt ads

Well if, say McDonalds, put out an ad which implied that they were somehow entitled to pontificate about drink driving, then yes, I would get irritated by their attempts to sell their crap by heavy handed virtue signalling.

IHN

True, but lumping any demographic together and judging them all by the same standard is exactly the sort of prejudice we should be seeking to avoid.

Fair enough, but I’ll bet there’s not a single fella here who has not, at some point, acted in a misogynistic or sexist manner, possibly/probably without realising it, and any offence so caused may well have been done unwittingly. So, any reminder to us chaps to think about our attitudes and actions towards women cannot be a bad thing.

ransos
    Free Member

True, but lumping any demographic together and judging them all by the same standard is exactly the sort of prejudice we should be seeking to avoid.

Holding people to the same standard isn’t wrong.

cookeaa

It felt a bit like the sort of clunky take Michael Bay might have taken on the whole topic of “Toxic Masculinity” if he wasn’t a net contributor to it…

OK it was a bit “Heavy handed” but it’s probably not native territory for P&G (an American Corporation) to include much in the way of social messages in their advertising its a sphere of the media not known for using subtle messaging.

TBH I agree with the message, that it’s delivery upsets so called “Gammons” doesn’t surprise or trouble me…

I’m sure Lynx will still be implying borderline date-rapey properties of their products so a sort of overall “balance” can be claimed for the hyperbolic advertising of the mens toiletries…

funkmasterp

Is it not just top notch gammon baiting?

Or do people not like it because they recognise the toxic behaviours in themselves, and are looking for someone else to blame?

I agree with the message, it’s the delivery that is utterly cringeworthy. Then again, as stated, it’s aimed at the American audience. It was like an advert for Dawson’s Creek or something.

Then again if we’re reduced to taking advice from a disposable razor company it’s way too late, we’re ****!

scotroutes

Holding people to the same standard isn’t wrong.

Nope. But assuming everyone is at the same standard is and that’s why I think it can come across as preaching.

ransos
    Free Member

Nope. But assuming everyone is at the same standard is and that’s why I think it can come across as preaching.

Does a drink driving advert assume that everyone drink drives?

scotroutes

Fair point, but a drink driving ad that only featured, say, middle class women might cause a similar “backlash” from that one demographic?

RustySpanner

Just wait ’till they find out about Sesame Street….

rene59
    Free Member

KFC puts out an ad encouraging skinny people to step up and prevent fat people making choices that make them fatter. If skinny people don’t take responsibility for their fat conterparts then all those kids watching them will grow up fat as well. After all obesity is a national crisis and causing problems with society, about time this message got put out there.

cookeaa

Interesting point actually, anti-drink-drive campaigns tend to try and draw a direct line between the negative behaviour and ultimate (potential) consequences (generally without much subtlty either)…

So you might argue that this Gillete ad’ doesn’t go far enough if the goal is really to change behaviours?

kelvin

Have they edited the advert to replace half the men in it with women yet? How dare they use this advert to hector us men! How very dare they! Do they not know who we are?!?

ransos
    Free Member

Fair point, but a drink driving ad that only featured, say, middle class women might cause a similar “backlash” from that one demographic?

Drink driving ads only feature drivers?

funkmasterp

Have they edited the advert to replace half the men in it with women yet? How dare they use this advert to hector us men! How very dare they! Do they not know who we are?!?

Also lack of men with beards.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I don’t object to Gilletes video, seems a fair point and no different to what Benetton did to sell jumpers

I do object to paying their razor blade prices though……..Aldi for me, until they put out an ad then it’s Lidl

Houns

I like it. And the poor “snowflakes” getting upset about it are those who need to change

scotroutes

Drink driving ads only feature drivers?

Ok – for the pedantic – “targetted” 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s an American ad too. They have bigger problems with chauvinism than we do, generally.

men as a whole need to change, calling people toxic for the way they are.

That’s not what ‘toxic masculinity’ means. It’s not suggesting that being male itself is toxic, rather that there is a way that society can encourage men to behave that is toxic.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

“Toxic Masculinity”

What counts as “Toxic Masculinity” has a broad range depending on who you talk to, some will say it’s violence and rape culture. Others will say it’s everything that is masculine, sports with it’s winners and loser culture is apparently the cause of racism if you talk to some people. Because…men compete….therefore they see outgroup people as bad….therefore racism.

Despite the fact that a number of studies have shown statistically insignificant differences on racial attitudes between men and women and that there are likely plenty of evolutionary drivers underpinning racism in women.

Gillettes advert will backfire like #metoo did.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-03/a-wall-street-rule-for-the-metoo-era-avoid-women-at-all-cost

I didn’t really get gillettes advert other than don’t be a dick to women, which I try not to be anyway! Hugging other blokes? No thanks! And rough and tumble is a normal part of male development, those kids on the grass weren’t beating the shit out of each other! Are we going to pathologize any form of competition? And since when were guys the main contributors of social media bullying at school? When I was at school, that was mostly the girls! We just either bantered among ourselves or beat each other up if we went to far with the jokes. Clearly, the beating of a kid by a gang is wrong – but again, did we really need an advert to tell us that anyway? All male adults would intervene if they saw that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘We Believe: The Best Men Can Be’ is closed to new replies.