Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 273 total)
  • We Believe: The Best Men Can Be
  • raybanwomble
    Free Member

So how many of you have been to a bbq, where your kids have fought and you’ve just replied “boys will be boys” – or set up a kids fight club and placed bets on it?

https://nypost.com/2015/09/01/day-care-workers-had-young-kids-brawl-in-fight-club-videos/

😀

Drac

Only the sociopaths and those with a low IQ.

northernsoul

So if I start using Gillette razors, will my kids start listening to me when I tell them “that’s not how we treat each other” as they engage in WWF for bragging rights on the green toy bin lorry…? I knew there was something I was doing wrong 😜

Agree with the message, but the delivery stinks – and I fear that most of those who could learn something from the ad are not on this forum, but are sadly those making comments on YouTube.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and I fear that most of those who could learn something from the ad are not on this forum, but are sadly those making comments on YouTube.

One of the things the internet has given us is the ability to see who those people are, apart from Piers Morgan we did know about him all the time.

Drac

Agree with the message, but the delivery stinks – and I fear that most of those who could learn something from the ad are not on this forum, but are sadly those making comments on YouTube.

I’m not so sure knowing some of the posting history of some members on here.

rmacattack
    Free Member

It’s just the current agenda easy target , the western male. I see they put a few ethnics in the video to keep the video legal. White western males aren’t allowed to be oppressed or have any say or opinion. Surprised they have gone after what I would assume to be there largest consumer demographic. Virtue signalling liberal feminist bull crap advertising.

funkmasterp

You didn’t read the you tube comments then 🙂 it’s the end of the western world

Sweet Jesus! How long have you been using the internet? You don’t read YouTube comments is covered in basic training. YouTube comments is where the written word goes to die.

dissonance

It’s just the current agenda easy target , the western male.

Aside from it isnt is it? They are trying to sell to the “western male”. So they must think that this take on it will actually have more of them agreeing with them and hence being more likely to buy their stuff rather than filming themselves burning/chopping or however you would destroy a razor (disclaimer. Cant say it bothers me either way. Whilst I do have their razors my standard technique is to random shave it back with my hair trimmer on zero and occasionally shave properly and so stick with them out of laziness. I cant see that changing).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Virtue signalling liberal feminist bull crap advertising.

lol bit late to the party there. Thread title must have been a bit too subtle

rmacattack
    Free Member

Surely you mean stuble ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No not really, unless you are suggesting your post is just a bad joke?

db

Like the advert, don’t normally buy their razors but I think I will give them a try. I guess that’s the purpose of advertising so it’s worked on me 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Quite glad they are moving away from the posturing hero (white) male stereotypes. Message is something I’d hope people would aspire to, even if it’s a bit heavy handed in delivery.

As ever, it’s the overreaction that is more worrying than the original advert. For anyone with an ounce of self awareness of understanding of the world.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s just the current agenda easy target , the western male.

No, the target is macho dickheads, isn’t it really obvious?

White western males aren’t allowed to be oppressed or have any say or opinion.

What the actual **** are you talking about? Take a look around you, the world is still mostly run by white western males, and they are mostly the ones giving opinions. Seriously, this is utterly ludicrous. The ad is telling men not to be arseholes – how can you seriously have a problem with that?

Actually, I know how. You don’t see the problem, so you don’t believe there is one. And when you’re told about the problem, you dismiss it. So you are behaving like the arseholes in the advert.

funkmasterp

The ad is telling men not to be arseholes – how can you seriously have a problem with that?

I think it’s saying you’ll end up being an arsehole unless you shave with the new 5 BLADE, ALOE VERA INFUSED GILETTE AWESOME-O 5,000 series! 😉

senorj

Exactly funkmaster.
    & I don’t even own a barbecue.

MSP

I am sick and tired of sniveling little arseholes pretending they represent men. Really if you find this advert objectionable you are pathetic, an embarrassment to men, why don’t you grow a pair and try being what you claim to represent you worthless cry babies.

rene59
    Free Member

Haha, that sounds an awful lot like a sniveling little arsehole pretending to represent men.

MSP

awww poor ickle rene59, wants to play the victim and doesn’t like being called out for it, boohoo. Can’t get it through you head that many groups in society have actually worse life experinces, so keeps on bleating when there is a message of equalization.

MSP

Really I am sick of pandering to these vile alt-right views, time to start opposing them head on.

cokie

Is the whole ad not just common sense? Why the outrage? Sad that there’s a need for an ad like this at all really.

Coyote
    Free Member

Sad that there’s a need for an ad like this at all really.

I agree and unfortunately a number of posters on here reinforce that need.

I like the ad and the message it sends. Fail to see how anyone could get upset by it unless they see something in it that they recognise…

v8ninety

You know what, it feels a bit ‘right on’ and a tiny bit lecturey but I really relate to the actual message. This was evidently a risky advertising line to go down, so fair play to Gillette for giving it a go. It’s highly likely that people feeling uncomfortable with it are having their unconscious biases prodded a bit. It certainly made me sense mine.

rene59
    Free Member

Really I am sick of pandering to these vile alt-right views, time to start opposing them head on.

Alt-right, really? Haha not unless alt-right is anything right of far left authoritarian. I’m firmly and comfortably in the left libertarian political quadrant.

funkmasterp

Are we not allowed to just think it’s, you know, a bit of a shit cheeses festival advert? I’m finding those that are outraged anusing and also those that are defending it too. It’s an advert for overpriced razors, that’s it.

Gillette don’t care how you view men in society. They care about selling product and maximising margins. This is what they came up with in order to gain attention and sell more than their competitors. Looks like it’s working so job jobbed.

My personal view is that I agree with the sentiment but the delivery is too ‘Mercian for me. I’d have preferred humour rather than nodding, smiling models from a catalogue with an overly sentimental voice over. Guess that makes me an alt-right, racist, woman hating bastard then 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My personal view is that I agree with the sentiment but the delivery is too ‘Mercian for me. I’d have preferred humour rather than nodding, smiling models from a catalogue with an overly sentimental voice over. Guess that makes me an alt-right, racist, woman hating bastard then

Or you spotted it’s for an American audience

imnotverygood

You know that SEAT advert which essentially says. “Look at us we support nice cuddly right on progressive ideas, not nasty old reactionary ones, so buy our car” That is what this is: an attempt to market razors by using sanctimony. It obviously appeals to the sanctimonious amongst us.

verses

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/50491052_2849481558472862_690993202076844032_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=745f6f3ab7d8627841ff8658ad6de368&oe=5CD2CC5C

theotherjonv

It’s an advert for overpriced razors, that’s it.

I’m not sure it is…. it doesn’t mention them apart from a small logo and the similarity in taglines / bit at the start.

Was Colin K suggesting we support the 49ers when he took a knee, or using his position to push something he believed in?

I’m not naive enough to not spot that some may think Gillette are a good firm and they will benefit from this as well, but should they not be speaking up about what they believe in because of that?

The advert is “needed” to give Gillette a larger share of the disposable razor market by associating their product with a modern and laudable message.

The larger share the market will probably be at the expense of some of their competitors.

So Gillette is really just exhibiting the old Alpha male drive to be number one, and damn everybody else.

Quite funny really.

imnotverygood

Errr. You do understand how advertising works?

theotherjonv

(I’m also alarmed that you think I’m anusing someone over this – even without knowing what anusing is 😉 )

wwaswas

they put a few ethnics in the video

maybe they should have been a bit more overt with the ‘don’t be a racist’ message?

funkmasterp

Bloody tiny iPhone keyboards 🤣

I’m not sure it is…. it doesn’t mention them apart from a small logo and the similarity in taglines / bit at the start.

Where are the bearded men in the advert then? You can’t walk three metres without tripping over a man with a beard around here. 99% of the men in the ad have shiny face and there’s footage of that weird chin stroking thing that no normal person actually does.

If you think a corporation cares then that’s up to you, but colour me cynical.

theotherjonv

Where are the bearded men in the advert then?

Opening shot

Boardroom

Barbecue (several)

Audience (three out of eight of the identifiable males – without obscured faces, I mean – including one which is huge and ginger FFS!)

Guy intervening at the pool party

Perv outside the coffee shop

Peacemaker from the real footage shot

samunkim
    Free Member

Cool…So Blokes need life lessons from a Razor Company. Nah I’ll pass

theotherjonv

Some do, clearly. Irrespective of who’s doing the teaching. If they didn’t we wouldn’t need the Me-Too, the frequent refrains on here to read rule 1 and so on.

And the lesson isn’t just don’t be a dick, it’s also that if you see someone being a dick, do something about it. standing by and letting dicks be dicks also makes you a bit of a dick too.

funkmasterp

Where are the bearded men in the advert then?

Opening shot

Boardroom

Barbecue (several)

Audience (three out of eight of the identifiable males – without obscured faces, I mean – including one which is huge and ginger FFS!)

Guy intervening at the pool party

Perv outside the coffee shop

Peacemaker from the real footage shot

I think our definitions of beard are very different. A weeks worth of stubble isn’t a beard. If you can’t hide things in it it doesn’t count.

theotherjonv

on the basis that if I never shaved again, it would look like 3 day growth to you big boys, I’m happy with anything visible to the naked eye 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 273 total)

The topic ‘We Believe: The Best Men Can Be’ is closed to new replies.