Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Way OT – sorry – does anyone know anything about Apple logic boards?
  • reluctantlondoner

My trusty 2006/7 MBP has died and its down to the logic board, which the bloke in the local repair shop tells me is circa £700 to replace. Not really wise or viable – unless anyone can tell me differently?

Bit gutted I am 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

What has caused it to fail?

I have rescued a liquid damaged machine before, but it did require a lot of TLC and a new keyboard. Far cheaper than a new logic board mind!

If your logic board can’t be repaired, FAR better off buying a new machine sadly than a new board!

Drac

Yes. I can tell you that kids spilling a liquid them involves a bill just like that, fortunately my house insurance covered it.

reluctantlondoner

I think it’s just old age unfortunately. It is causing the machine to randomly shutdown without warning which means the disk is only a couple of crashes away from being properly rooted.

I can’t really complain as the computer has been used daily and abused hard with many trips around the world. But I’m still gutted.

reluctantlondoner

And it is backed up too! Phew. But still… the old silver ones were so much prettier than today’s generation of MBPs.

Kuco

The logic board on my old MBP burnt it self out and was quoted with £700. Not needing the umpf of a power book I replaced it with a MacBook for £800.

grum
    Free Member

Think you can buy them for around £300 – dunno how hard it is to do yourself though.

CaptJon
    Free Member

They had a replacement scheme a while back for faulty logic boards. Can’t remember when or what model, but worth a google.

CountZero

Might be worth a trawl around the various independent repair places, you might turn up someone with a machine that’s died but has an intact logic board. Gotta be worth spending some time if it saves an otherwise sound ‘puter. Look in the back of the Mac-centric magazines in Smiffs, as well as Google. Good luck, I really hope something turns up. 🙂

noshki

Worth having a look at ifixit? Good guides on how to repair Macs and would also help identify the parts you need, which you might find cheaper on eBay.

bensales
    Free Member

7 year old laptop, is it really worth the expense? I’d sell it as spares or repair on Ebay and get a new one, or rather a £500 second hand MBP from Ebay.

Cougar

Has it been properly diagnosed?

I’ve got a laptop on the bench at the moment, local computer shop diagnosed a faulty motherboard. You switch it on, about five seconds later it switches off again.

Did a full teardown, took out the processor and replaced half a pint of crumbly thermal paste with a smear of fresh, and blew all the dust out of the fan and airways. Powered it back up, works fine. Windows is bollocksed but that’s another story.

(26 screws to open the case, one screw to remove the motherboard. WHHYYYYY!?!?)

grum
    Free Member

I bought a 15″ i5 unibody MBP for £620 on ebay in great condition. Very pleased with it.

John_Key
    Free Member

I’ve had this happen a couple of times and you can buy 2nd hand part on ebay which are pulled from old macs. Last time around apple quoted $1000 for logic board replacement, but I got a logic board for $100 from HK on ebay. Worked fine

codybrennan
    Free Member

You sure its not shutting down because of a thermal event? Macs of that vintage are prone to it, partly because Apple clocked the fan slow to make them seem quiet.

I’d tear it down, hoover out the dust, strip off the chip cooler and reapply thermal paste. I’d also install “SMCFanControl”- Google it. It sets the fan to kick in early.

Worth a try.

codybrennan
    Free Member

^What Cougar said….

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Way OT – sorry – does anyone know anything about Apple logic boards?’ is closed to new replies.