Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Waterproofing material
  • dorsetknob
    Free Member

I have a pair of Endura E Vent trousers that let water in around the crotch area, the material in this area is not E vent but a woven nylon with a polyurethane membrane that has disintegrated. I once read on here that someone mixed silicon sealant with white spirit to make a waterproof membrane. Any ideas?

bruneep

Mate sells This stuff worked well on clothing I’ve treated too early to say about longevity.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Seems he’s sold out…

dorsetknob
    Free Member

Thanks bruneep, have emailed Dave to see if he still sales it.

bruneep

I can msg him direct if you want. Might be away at present tho.

dorsetknob
    Free Member

Yes please.

martinhutch

Fabsil?

jodie
    Free Member

I’ve used the silicone sealant and white spirits thing on my leaking tent floor with excellent results. Miles better than just using any of the DWR restorers like Fabsil or Nikwak.

If I remember correctly I used about 1 vol silicone to 3 vols low odour white spirits. Takes quite a lot of mixing and then just paint it on with a brush. Dries to be pretty much invisible if you use clear sealant. There was a website somewhere with more details.

bruneep

He’s currently out of bottles, awaiting delivery of another 100 sometime next week.

dorsetknob
    Free Member

Thanks Bruneep, Dave has contacted me. Cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

I sewed a patch on the arse of my waterproof trousers…

dorsetknob
    Free Member

It’s to awkward to patch it’s the whole arse and crotch area that’s porous, looks like they’ve had too hot a wash and the membrane has let go. Think I’ll use silicone on inside and Daves water repel on outside. Try anything rather than scrap them as they still look like new.

molgrips
    Free Member

I patched the whole arse and crotch. It did require a sewing machine, some skillz help from my wife and some seam sealing tape though.

Re the membrane, I had some waterproof trousers where the membrane peeled off. It was because general MTB dirt worked its way in causing it to start peeling off.

dorsetknob
    Free Member

What material did you use? I don’t need anything to hardwearing as now they are just used for watching sport and walking in. I got some ex forces goretex now for riding in,tough waterproof and cheap.

molgrips
    Free Member

I looked hard but in the end found a giant rucksack liner on clearance in go outdoors for a couple of quid, which was made from the right kind of waterproof nylon. I can show pics of the repair if you like?

dorsetknob
    Free Member

I will give the paint and spray a go first, if that doesn’t work I’ll get back to you,thanks for the advice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Waterproofing material’ is closed to new replies.