Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Waterproof winter shoes / boots for flat pedals … ?
  • Woodentop
    Free Member

I’ve done a quick search but couldn’t really come up with anything.
    Is there anything on the market with a decent sole like 5-10s or the Shimano AM41, and with an upper like the Northwave Celsius GTX boot ?
    Got a decent pair of Goretex walking boots but they still don’t stop water coming in over the top, so something with a tight fitting waterproof upper to stop them filling water would ideal.
    Anyone came across anything ?
    Many thanks

coastkid
    Free Member

I go for a different ideal and use Five Ten Canyoneer boots, this is for the coast fat biking, but also used the set for real wet days on trails.

Thin wool socks inside Seal Skins, seem to keep feet warm even if the seal Skins leak. no probs with pedal grip from the Canyoneer leech like grip!

Only down side is the twin velcro tensioner straps on the boot make friends slag you off for wearing special needs shoes 😆

Also used them with British Army liners (£15 on eBay) for dry feet all day, used these liners for metal detecting in streams and they are ace 🙂

ton

I used 5/10 exum guides with wool socks. pretty perfect for any weather conditions.

Woodentop
    Free Member

I should’ve said in the 1st post really … I always use some 5-10s, and have some decent socks and some sealskinz, I don’t have a problem with keeping my feet warm or dry, its just the 5-10s getting soaked and taking ages to dry out, that’s why i’m looking for something that has a upper cover of some sort to keep them filling up with water.

ton

any goretex boot then, with the wrist/arm cut off heavy weight marigold type gloves to use as a waterproof seal between boot and leg.
    a mate uses this in wet weather riding.

scotroutes

Water will get through even a tight-fitting upper. Tons suggestion of a cut-off rubber glove is a good one. Otherwise, wear tights (Endura Stealth are good) over the top of the boot.

devs
    Free Member

Woodentop
    Free Member

Those Canyoneers look interesting, be good to have a look at them in the flesh.
    That’s not a bad idea with the marigolds, have got a good few pair at work … might have to have a play tomorrow.

hot_fiat

Wow. Riding in sorrels. 😯 one down from riggers

Really though someone needs to fix this gap in the market. It’s not frikking rocket science: gore text hiking boot with sticky rubber.

matther01
    Free Member

Those canyoneers look very ‘special’.

A few folks on here have purchased goretex boots and had them resoled by feetfirst with stealth soles.

Massive gap in the market…dragons den anyone?

devs
    Free Member

Wow. Riding in sorrels. one down from riggers

Got the fat bike, got the Sorels, just need one of the winters from a couple of years back 🙂

I use Teva links (cos they dry out quicker) with LONG sealskins, merino underneath and endura stealth tights. Never failed yet. Toasty and dry. 5:10s sprayed with Grangers for normal winter rides when it isn’t bucketing down.

scotroutes

The problem with “sticky” soles is that they tend to lack tread. That’s OK when you’re pedalling but gash in mud, snow or on wet grass.

Superficial
    Free Member

All these people suggesting Gore Tex hiking type boots: Have you ever ridden in them?

I once used my walking boots for a mid-winter hike up / ride down Snowdon. The thick soles were completely horrible to ride in – I’d never recommend them.

Surely the obvious answer is to embrace SPDs… I love my MW81 boots in winter.

yippeekiyay
    Free Member

These could be what you’re looking for.
    gaiters

Simon

I’ve ridden flats all spring and summer but I’ll be switching back to winter SPD boots when the weather gets cold and wet.

CheesybeanZ

Wouldn’t overshoes do ?

Woodentop
    Free Member

Ah well, looks like its a no then.
    Overshoes are no good as the bottoms of them get torn up from the pedals, i’m sure Gaiters would do the job, would’ve preferred some decent shoes tho.
    Cheers

pktri
    Free Member

Look at approach shoes such as Mammut GTX Redburn, with a gaitor similar to http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-DebrisGaiter-32.html?L=27 …. could be improvised out of some ols sealskin socks?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof winter shoes / boots for flat pedals … ?’ is closed to new replies.