Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • waterproof socks… sealskinz or other?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m in need of some waterproof socks, both regular low ones and some knee legnth. who makes the best these days, still sealskinz or are there now others worth looking at?

any recomendations where to buy for cheapest prices?

petedee
    Free Member

Amazon. I picked up a pair for about 16. Dexshells. Believe they are half the price of sealskinz. They work well.

sotonkona
    Free Member

I got the Sealskinz Waterproof Cold Weather Mid Length Sock with Hydrostop on a deal from Merlin. Even with a discount, they were a complete waste of money. I’ve found they just aren’t very durable. I got one ride out of them! Once washed on the recommended setting they’ve never been the same. I tried them again a couple of weeks ago on a wet and muddy ride. The sock was never fully submerged at any point so I’m pretty confident no water got in past the Hydrastop but they still somehow completely filled with water, so I spent the ride, with water sloshing about in both socks and freezing feet!!

wheeliedirty
    Free Member

I bought two pairs of sealskinz waterproof socks in the winter of 2017 and I’m still wearing them this winter and they’re still waterproof. Expensive but I’ve had warm, dry feet for five years whilst out riding in winter.

yetidave
    Free Member

I have a set of sealskin socks from about 8 years ago. Washed through washing machine. Still keep my feet dry. I also have a set from Aldi, which sweat a bit in comparison, and arnt as waterproof as the sealskin ones, but keep my feet warm and most of the mud out.

seriousrikk

The biggest issue I have with the sealskinz is the sizing. They do 6-8 or 9-11 and as a size nine the bigger size is massive and the smaller size won’t stretch enough.

Picked up a pair of gripgrab waterproof socks and they have been quite excellent so far.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks for the replies, i might try some dexshells as per petedee’s recomendation, quite a bit cheaper than the sealskinz i was looking at.

uniqueusername

I’ve only skin read the thread.
    I have some seal skins, they feel like wearing bin bags on your feet (I’m exaggerating)
    The Mrs found ‘otter’ waterproof socks on Amazon, much nicer fit. And cheaper I believe.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Aldi/Crane ones are really good.

tall_martin

i have a pair of endura and sealskin.

They both work great with trousers over the top. With out trousers the water always round down my leg and into the sock.

joebristol

I couldn’t find the size I wanted locally in sealskinz so I bought endura waterproof socks. I had to buy the bigger size where I’m on the bottom end of the range for them. I don’t think they’re a great shape round the toes but the main thing is my feet keep warm on every ride so far. It’s a weird feeling like your feet are in water once the shoes are saturated but I think that’s the water between the shoe and the sock and a bit of sweat inside the sock.

I want to try some others so I might have a look at the Amazon ones mentioned above.

sparkyrhino

Rooster sailing socks, then a pair of normal socks on top,The roosters are very warm thin neoprene sock, theyre a bit too warm for me but my missus loves them (feet of a corpse) were around £12 a pair

BillOddie

I have a pair of the Dexshell Ultra Dri that i have been using this winter and compared to my experience of sealskinz ages a go, they are very very good.

zippykona

A timely thread as I need a pair. About 20 years ago I bought some seal skins but never needed to use them.
    The fit can only be described as vaguely footlikeish.
    What are the most normal sock like?

cinnamon_girl

Apologies for jumping on this thread but am struggling with placing an ad in Classifieds. I have a pair of mens Sealskinz mid-calf socks for Winter use, size 6-8. Unfortunately there is some wear in the heel (not worn through!) although the rest of them are fine. Free to a good home!

Stiggy

I use Bridgedales after recommendations on here, seem fine, as stated above the big difference is wearing trousers rather than shorts.

convert

Otter I have found to be better that sealskinz.

I’ve also learnt that you should not pair them up fold into each other like you do traditional socks – makes most waterproof socks go baggy.

piemonster

@zippykona

Id have bought some Sealskins around the same time and the fit these days is very different. You’re still trying to make a waterproof bag fit a foot but they are much better, for me at least.

continuity
    Free Member

If it’s really minging a reccomendation from work – they do over the calf socks. Pair with something good on top and you can remain pretty dry all day.

akira

Dexshell for me, they fit like proper socks unlike the sock shaped sack fit of Sealskinz

FOG

I have some knee length 360dry socks which have been excellent. Their XL actually fit my size 12/13 feet unlike Sealskins or Dexshell which pinch the toes

wzzzz
    Free Member

Sealskinz have just replaced a 4 year old pair of mine under warranty no bother.

ajt123
    Free Member

Reminder that you need to wear trousers over, or long shorts with long socks, or the water just infiltrates down your leg.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Reminder that you need to wear trousers over, or long shorts with long socks, or the water just infiltrates down your leg.

This is where gripgrab gaiters come in. Pop the over the top of the socks and dry feet all day long.

aide

Currently on Madison waterproof socks. Quite impressed with them, they seem a lot less plastic-y on the feet than Sealskins. Have also tried Otter socks and they also feel better than Sealskins. All of them have been waterproof so preference is on how they feel on the foot. Best to worst is :

Madison

Otter

Sealskins

ads678

Tinas +1

Stock up on Aldi when they get them in. I do keep meaning to buy some longer ones though.

tall_martin

I have a pair of endura short waterproof socks. They’ve been great.

I have a knee length deep winter sealskins- also great.

All water proof socks have been crap for me unless I have trousers on. I have had numerous rides where the water has run down my calf and filled the sock.

Ankles with water sloshing round them is something I like to avoid

redthunder
    Free Member

Aldi ones have been good.

And Army surplus goretex have been good as well.

ajantom

As numerous posters have said above, you need to use them with trousers, or water just gets in from above.

I got a couple of pairs of knee length Marino lined Sealskinz from Sport Pursuit a few years ago, and they’re still going strong. Warm, dry and comfy 😁

captaintomo
    Free Member

Don’t think anyone has mentioned Altura’s waterproof sock.  My one and only waterproof sock so nothing to compare against but it’s been absolutely spot on. Fits like a glove with no bagginess or tightness. Comes in three sizes. Totally waterproof, been out in downpours for hours where my shoes are soaked through but my feet have remained bone dry.  I paid like £15 in one of their sales so keep an eye out.

Also just noticed this is a 2 year old thread lol

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.