Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Waterproof road shoes or just overshoes.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Is it worth forking out good money on a pair of waterproof winter road shoes or will a good pair of overshoes do the job just as well.? Either way can anyone recommend some shoes or overshoes for rainy days in the saddle.

damitamit
    Free Member

Overshoes. Pro Tarmac H20 for rain and cold. Pro Tarmac NPU for the really cold days.

2tyred

If waterproof is your aim, then overshoes.

Cold and dry: Shimano RW80 winter boots
    Cold and wet: winter boots plus Endura MT500 overshoes

Not a completely waterproof setup, but the Enduras are the best I’ve found and the boots keep my feet warm even with crappy socks on. They are in no way waterproof though.

FuzzyWuzzy

It depends…
    Either way your feet will get wet, just likely more slowly if wearing waterproof boots.
    I have a mix of water repellent/windproof overshoes (Lusso Max Repel), neoprene overshoes (Pro Tarmac NPU) and waterproof boots (Mavic Frosts).
    If it’s mild but water on the road (or a bit chilly but dry) then I use normal road shoes + the Lussos. If it’s chilly or very wet/raining I’ll wear the Mavics, if it’s very cold I’ll wear the Mavics + the Pro Tarmac overshoes (I deliberately went for the Mavics as they’re not overly insulated so usable when it’s mild but wet).
    Depends on your budget as well I guess, for £50 you can get the Lusso and Pro Tarmac overshoe combo which should cover 95% of what you need you’ll just get wet feet sooner with normal shoes + Pro Tarmac vs the Mavics but they should still stay warm which is the main thing.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Overshoes. Pro Tarmac H20 for rain and cold. Pro Tarmac NPU for the really cold days.

Same here….

m1kea
    Free Member

I trust you already have mudguards? If not budget in £30+ for a set on top of whatever shoe combo you look at.

surfer
    Free Member

Yup, Middle of August and my guards where on!

[/url] photo by mcivord, on Flickr[/img]

m1kea
    Free Member

Surfer

Yep my winter bike was back out today, including overshoes 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got Northwave Fahrenheit boots, and I’m always slightly saddened when I change to them from my S-Works, they’re just not as comfy and I do notice the difference in stiffness. When they wear out I’ll go back to overshoes I suspect.

They are warm though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof road shoes or just overshoes.?’ is closed to new replies.