• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Waterproof jacket recommendations
  • jsync

Hi,

Looking at something like a goretex active jacket for general wet weather use (not bike related), any recommendations or offers around?

Thanks.

mikey74
    Free Member

I got a Patagonia Torrentshell for my trip to the Isle of Skye and it was excellent: Kept me dry and wasn’t too sweaty. Hood is adjustable, but not as much as my Rab soft-shell, although it was fine for my small head with a woolly hat.

matt_outandabout

I just bought a Mountain Equipment gore proshell jacket from Rough Gear for £80, reduced from £200

CountZero

These guys do some terrific stuff, Cardiff based, they have sample and end-of-season sales, so you might well find something that suits.
    http://www.jottnar.com/uk/

daftvader
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a black diamond goretex for very little. Seems like a great jacket. Have a look at the blacks website.

rmacattack
    Free Member

watching this.

loddrik
    Free Member

North Face Summit Series Alpine Project jacket. I have one for bike and general warm rainy duties. Goretex Active Shell. Awesome jacket.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have a Northface with their cheaper fabric (Hyvent I think), great for walking with long body (keep my arse dry) and hood, was less than £100

petec
    Free Member

Jeez, those Jottnar’s are nice. But the price!

As usual – just go to Decathlon – but not necessarily from the Hiking range.

Just got myself one in Belgium (as it doesn’t appear to be here) from the Sailing bit. €90, so £70. Same waterproof-ness, hard to compare on the breathability but no underarm zips (remember, all those jackets that put under arm zips in are because they’re not breathable enough). Possibly less breathable due to the nature (sailing) but more than good enough for hiking in.

It’s also a membrane, not a coating (like HyVent etc), so should last longer.

It’s obviously not the best, but for general mooching around, it’s hard to beat.

jsync

Thanks guys.

The torrentshell and alpine projekt seem good. After a weekend of heavy downpours in hot temperatures breathability is key. I have a berghaus vapour storm for the bike which is excellent but mainly covered in mud so really need something else. I did wear it this weekend and it was very comfortable, far better than the jacket I was wearing earlier on. Thing is, I want something different but I like the material. The quest continues….

chewkw
    Free Member

I like cheapo stuff like Craghoppers Kiwi …

CountZero

Jeez, those Jottnar’s are nice. But the price!

Looked at the Arc’teryx equivalents lately?
    I’ve got one of the Fenrir jackets, lovely to wear, the Arc’teryx version would be getting on for £150 more expensive.
    I got mine for £130 in one of their seasonal sales, and I consider it a real bargain, it’s worth every penny of the full price.
    Surprisingly water-resistant, too, I’ve been out in persistent rain for a couple of hours and only got a small amount of leakage at the hood seam, and it’s not designed as a waterproof.

Jolsa

I’ve preordered the Alpkit Balance, coming from a Haglofs Endo that I’ve worn (a lot) for the past 3 years.

Loved the Endo but time to renew as the seams on the inside are starting to peel away. Haglofs replacement is £250 odd, so giving the similarly specced, £100 cheaper Alpkit Balance a go.

prettygreenparrot

I’m sure those Jottnar coats are amazing. But so are the prices! For walking I’m never going back on my utterly brilliant Paramo coat. But for riding it is a bit warm. And a little bit bulky. My old Ground Effect coat is starting to fail so I’m sorely tempted by either Endura coats (with the non-slip shoulders) or the AlpKit Balance.

frankconway

Hill & Dale near Halifax; link below to their clearance section.

https://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/brands/clearance.php

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Are there any decent jackets to be had without a hood? If I want to keep my head warm/dry I wear a **** hat! Don’t want a peaked hood flapping about, thanks.
    Any suggestions?

CountZero

I’m sure those Jottnar coats are amazing. But so are the prices! For walking I’m never going back on my utterly brilliant Paramo coat. But for riding it is a bit warm. And a little bit bulky. My old Ground Effect coat is starting to fail so I’m sorely tempted by either Endura coats (with the non-slip shoulders) or the AlpKit Balance.

Sure they’re not cheap, but they’re still significantly cheaper than much of the competition.
    My Fenrir down jacket retails for £200, a RAB or Arc’teryx are going to be £150 more. Arc’teryx are ridiculously expensive.
    I actually paid £135 plus vat, because it was an end of season sale item.

duncancallum

The only jacket I use now is my OMM ive not worn my berghaus for about 2years.

It’s a fell running jacket

Fully waterproof taped seams 4 way stretch fabric. Awesome bit of kit

muttley109
    Free Member

Alpkit have a range if waterproofs now. For the money they look bloody good too

aP
    Free Member

We used OMM Kamleika jackets for Tuscany Trails his year. It was quite wet (the road up the first climb was washing down the hill), and relatively warm. They kept us pretty much dry and comfortable.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof jacket recommendations’ is closed to new replies.