• This topic has 28 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by cjr61.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Waterproof box or bag for cargo attached to towbar bike rack
  • cjr61

Evening all,

I posed a similar query about a year ago, but for various reasons didn’t sort anything. Now the tribe is bigger so looking for a cheaper alternative to a Thule easy box/bag for impending UK family escapes.

Anyone had success with modifying a tow bar bike rack to carry a waterproof cargo box or mega large duffel bag? Any bag or box good value finds?

Cheers and stay well

Chris

jsync

following..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Used erde trailer off Facebook market place

cjr61

Thanks both. I loath FB but the trailer option is a good one I agree. Random thought but I assume fuel economy is better with bike rack version than a trailer? Fair assumption?

garage-dweller

Couple of things…

Fuel economy will be just as good/not worse enough you’d worry about it with a small trailer if you stick to the (lower) limits and you haven’t got some high sided leviathan with bike racks on top like I have!

The other question I’d have about a bike rack with dry bags is the dreaded Type Approval. The racks are approved as bike racks not luggage racks. Something to consider if you worry about such things/intervention from traffic officers.

5lab

I have an altea strata dl with the 4th mount added and an amazonbasics 350(?)l bag. Goes on fine with my dh bike nearest the car, lots of lash points, no problem to the south of France and back in pissing rain last year. Very waterproof

cjr61

Any link to the Amazon bag 5lab? Thanks

pyranha

I’ve got the Thule bag, but used it on a different rack. It was great for putting tent, etc in, leaving room for the dogs and people in the car, and ensuring the load remained low enough not to impede vision. Depending in the rack you’ve got (tilt etc) and car you may need to empty the bag to access the boot. On the plus side, it’s not a trailer, so you have the standard speed limits. As with the Amazon bag above, we didn’t have an issue with waterproof-ness, although I wouldn’t rely on that, so (as when we had a roof box) anything critical goes in drybags. I was slightly nervous leaving it on the car overnight at a relatives house, but if I’d been more worried, it would have been easier to take inside than a trailer would be.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Amazon bags have been discontinued for donkeys, I’ve been after one for a while.

The racks are approved as bike racks not luggage racks. Something to consider if you worry about such things/intervention from traffic officers.

Lol, I have an Aiston, it’s probably well down that path already.

mtbwill
    Free Member

Last summer I drove to the south of France and back with the HandiWorld 135ltr bungeed/strapped to the back of my Yakima 3 bike rack. I had two adult mtb’s on as well but was still a bit under the suggested limit for the bike rack. I drove through hours of torrential rain, then baking heat and it held up perfectly. It still looks new. It took most of my family of 4’s clothing for a two-week holiday. I would strongly recommend it.
    Link for the bag: https://www.handiworld.com/handiduffel-black-135-litres/

a11y

I considered one of those rear rack things but was put off by cost relative to how much extra storage they gave, and the security aspect. Ended up buying a 600+ litre roofbox off FB for £100. Somewhat strange when we’re fitting it to a dual-cab Transit Custom, but the bikes live inside the back rather than camping gear and holiday stuff. Penalty on fuel consumption but we can live with that.

5lab

i had a 600l roofbox on top of the car as well as a 350l bag on the back. 2 small kids on a 2 week camping trip takes up quite a lot of room in a car with a 300l boot 😀

this is the bag in question

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Expandable-Carrier-litres-expandable/dp/B072ZHX3FN/

it hasn’t been sold for ages – but I’ve seen a thule one and it looks pretty similar. The only thing I don’t like about it is that all the straps tighten and hold just on those plastic things like you have on a rucksack shoulder strap – I don’t have concerns about the strength of the fastning, but over hours of driving that it could work loose, so I always tie down the ends of the straps as well. I also only pack stuff I don’t care about getting wet in it, but after the emergency dash back to england in the pissing rain when travel restrictions were announced last year (7 hours at ~80mph) I don’t think I needed to worry.

I have zero concerns about ‘construction and use’ regs. if the load is properly secured I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Having quickly scanned the regs here -> https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made there is nothing referring to equipment carrying an item that it shouldn’t – as long as you’re within the weight restrictions etc of your rack, and nothing is dangling over in a really stupid way, its no different to a bike.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

We do camping trips to the Alps with all the bikes and gear inside a 205cm x 125cm trailer with a hightop frame & tarp cover. Behind the Doblo it makes no difference to fuel consumption, but does cost a little extra on the ferry. It is stable and easy to tow, and the slightly lower speeds aren’t an issue for me.

We also do trips to ski with a large roofbox. This does effect fuel consumption, especially if you want to go fast, and does does cost a little extra on the ferry.

Both options are good for what they are for. Ease of use is the key. If you have somewhere to store a roofbox and can easily fit it, it may be the best answer.

Last summer we went to the Alps but didn’t camp. Roofbox + towbar bike rack.

Generally I try to avoid bikes on the roof.

cjr61

Thanks for waking this thread up. Seen this as a big option but considering the 135L above.

AUPERTO 20.5 Cubic Feet Hitch Rack Cargo Carrier Bag – 61.4’’x20’’x20’’ Hitch Mount Cargo Bag Waterproof https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PX9KHXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_D047JQT3AJBSCYEJSPQE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

5lab

that looks extremely similar to my amazonbasics bag. don’t expect it to look that need when tied onto a bike rack but it works fine. my only thought is it might be too big to easily tie down?

ElShalimo

Would a huge LOMO bag work? The ones for storing used wetsuits in?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Good luck getting the Lomo bag, the 150l holdall has been out of stock for ages.

fasthaggis

I always thought that the 2CV had it nailed with their boot extenders 😉
    ViVa Le France

supdub
    Free Member

I’m considering purchasing the Thule Easy Bag and a bike rack. How does the bag attach to the bike rack? I’m looking at the Atera Strada DL3. Are there straps and fastenings built into the bag?

cjr61

Pretty successful conversion to my Thule bike rack. Removed the bike bit and bolted on a new frame. Cost about £20 from a local metal place. Bolted together and nearly the same dimensions as a Thule easy rack. Couple of ratchet straps and should be sorted. Tilts out of the way enough to open the boot to let doggy out…chuffed with that.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ive been recommending these to all and sundry for years, not because I have any direct experience, but because I like the idea and want someone else to be the guinea pig

duncancallum

@cjr61 box looks familiar…

Very similar to me I have the proper rack as I’m in a t4 my bikes sit above it.

So it doesn’t add to the over hang and means pump and minging kit etc stays out of the habitation part of the van.

That and a pop up beech tent for coolbox etc is the cheap way to happier less messy camping

cjr61

Thanks all. Yeah, box is 145L and £15 from Wickes. Bargain!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Sorry for bringing this thread back, @cjr61 I would like to ask how did you attached the box to the retrofit flat bars?

cjr61

Morning @wolfenstein enjoy a good thread revival. Not very technical, just used 3 ratchet straps off Amazon.

Was a bit overly enthusiastic with the one across the yellow handles and cracked one, so the moral of the story is snug not ‘force 10 blizzard, nothings going to get away’ tight! But, it all worked really well for a short family holiday (2 adults, 2 kids and a greyhound).

Let me know if you need anything else

Chris

Jakester
    Free Member

Just out of interest, why blank your numberplate out? I mean, it’s visible on your car when you drive down the road, so why when it’s posted on a photo?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

@chris ..your ingenuity is a lifesaver for me.. i cant get hold of buzz rack at the moment and im leaving camping very soon.. was also thinking putting metal/aluminum plate at the base of the box and drill and put u-clamp bolt for extra measure and yes of course ratchet strap. Thanks for posting this and sharing ideas. Bookmarked 😊

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oh, just as an aside the 150l Lomo dry bags are back in stock.

cjr61

@wolfenstein you’re very welcome. I can’t take any credit for the idea as seen it before @transporter13 and others. But glad it’s helped!

@squirrelking
    haha…to be honest I have no good reason to blank out my numberplate…but I’d like to blame Brexit if I can!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof box or bag for cargo attached to towbar bike rack’ is closed to new replies.