Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Water getting in – who to call
  • Pook

We had an extension about 4 years ago that constantly let water in in heavy rain. Shallow pitch, seemingly loads of different potential issues. In the end, the builder put a flat roof lining under it to solve the problem and it seemed fine. The extension was a standard extension on the back of the house.

This morning, my wife has said water is getting in – but it’s way away from the extension, dripping from the ceiling in the bang centre of the house; directly under the ridge line of the roof if you were to go vertically up from the drip.

Who to call? Plumber? Builder? My wife’s turned the water off to try and eliminate at least one potential cause.

As an added complication, the original builder seemingly went bust and is not contactable.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Depends what’s above the leak. If you have an upstairs toilet or shower and the leak is below that then plumber. If not a slater/roofer.

We had a leak the other week. Roofer came round and had to remove tiles replace a section of roof and replace a valley. Was just wear and tear on a 90 year old building.

tomd
    Free Member

Is there any reason you couldn’t go into your own roofspace and have a look?

Roofer would be a good shout, if you suspect it might be the roof. Although our recent experience of dealing with roofers was one wanted to rip the whole roof off, one wanted to do very a very complex and extensive repair and the 3rd did a quick and effective local repair because he identified the problem correctly. Cost range for these was £20,000, £2000 and £200.

Pook

tomd – I’m fifty miles away and my wife is stressing! I’ll be straight up there when i get home.

mashr

If you think it’s bad then your insurer might well have an emergency “stop things getting totally ****” response setup that can help

fossy

Your buildings insurance may have the ‘find and repair leak clause’.

My previous insurance has an emergency repair number, guy came out, but wouldn’t ‘find it’ as that wasn’t on the policy (repair only). Let’s say I changed policy on renewal to a “Find and repair”.

Our leak was a pin prick hole in the copper pipes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Water getting in – who to call’ is closed to new replies.