• This topic has 8,703 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by johnners.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 8,704 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • chipps

Not tonight, but the ‘You might like’ link showed me this beauty…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174817576222

thepurist

Any recommendations for somewhere to service a Sub in the Hants/surrey/Berks area? Not comfortable with sticking it in the post and the RSC will whinge about the dinged bezel and aftermarket strap.

Kryton57

I had a “**** it” moment an bought a Swiss piece at the weekend. I’ll post a photo when it arrives, I think you’re all going to hate it….

derek_starship
    Free Member

Talking of Swiss pieces I finally got round to ordering and fitting a Renata in this lovely little fellow:

Not bad for a 43 year old Certina Chronolyompic DS.

Kryton57

Ok, I’m prepared to be flamed; here it is:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m8ihBU]20210629_121803[/url]

Bought on a whim really, I like the Tissot Supersport and of course I’m a cyclist and its “that” time of year. Secretly I always wanted a TdF edition but found prior years models too garish, I like this one. So, to watchists that may be tacky/a gimmick but in reality this is a 100%; Swiss sapphire ETA quartz Chrono EOL.

It looks big hear and IS a big watch at 44.3mm, but wears a little smaller than it looks in the pics, the lugs don’t go past the edges of my wrist.

Detail pics:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m8err1]20210629_121931[/url]

and of course:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m8n5Pv]20210629_123502[/url]

Kryton57

Looks classier on the brown leather strap:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m8gVXL]signal-2021-06-29-164552[/url]

tthew

Put the yellow strap back on! At least for the next nearly 3 weeks. 😁

cromolyolly
    Free Member

If it’s a real TdF watch, shouldn’t it measure the EPO in your bloodstream?

Quite like it. The flat lugs would make it wear big though, I’d have thought.

itsallaboutme
    Free Member

Omega Seamaster chronograph 300m Titanium, £3.5k watch just returned from £400 service…it started running fast, broken hairspring.

Casio G-shock GravityMaster with a compass £200, batteries replaced every few years, saved my life when my lights failed in sub zero conditions in northern Finland. I could not read a normal compass in low light, but the watch has a built in compass and light. I Managed to waypoint back to a hut.

Guess which one goes to the trails and which one goes to the office….!

Kryton57

The flat lugs would make it wear big though, I’d have thought.

It does. I cant get thw perspectivw from the camera on my phone, but each end of the lugs is only about 2mm from the edge of my wrist.

The yellow strap – now back on – exaggerates this as its a bit stiff still so falls vertically down from the lugs and compresses the edges of my wrist. If you lightly squeeze watch and buckle to “bow” the strap just slightly the whole look improves. Maybe it’ll soften up. Its a very solid piece, and so very quiet. Looks good in the dark with blue superluminova

Bullet

Like the Tissot Kryton!

dmorts

Just wondering if anyone be interested in buying one of these?

Brand new, still wrapped up with stickers on. Comes in a nice travel case too. It came with the Navygraf I bought in Yema’s sale but it’s not for me. I just can’t see myself wearing it

derek_starship
    Free Member

I bought this from Watches of Switzerland in Manchester in August 1992. I’d been brochure bothering for some time and decided this twin dial version was for me.
    It was in the window for £525. I went into the store, tried it on and offered cash for a discount.
    No procrastinating from the salesman – 10%. So the bracelet was adjusted and I left feeling fantastic.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience of ICE watches?

I’m after a cheap and cheerful watch which is waterproof enough to cope with diving into a sea from a windsurfer on an alarming regular basis. Ideally the budget is less than £50 and they seemed to be 100m resistant which will cope with my penchant for falling in !

I have 3 lovely watches but I daren’t use them as I have a history of damaging 2 (both G shocks) and losing 1 entirely (digital timex) so far, what’s that thing falling to the sea bed ??? Get back to shore – that’ll have been your watch 🙁

sprootlet
    Free Member

love the Omega – I have an omega seamaster and I would cry if anything happened to it. It was my 40th birthday present and I was caught completely by surprise when he gave it to me ….

ctk
    Free Member

LOVE the Certina!

lotto
    Free Member

Was musing over Tudor North Flag for a while. Muse no more, discontinued now. What is similar in the sports watch 3k bracket?

Kryton57

I’m after a cheap and cheerful watch which is waterproof enough to cope with diving into a sea from a windsurfer on an alarming regular basis. Ideally the budget is less than £50 and they seemed to be 100m resistant which will cope with my penchant for falling in

See if you can find a AQ-S810W-2A2VCF Tough Solar. Mine costs £26 and then I added a nato.

Cant really fault it for the price.

derek_starship
    Free Member

@sprootlet

TOUCH THE IMAGE FOR THE LINK

Note: there’s no backlight but it is lumed.

Murray

Just One More Watch got taken down by YouTube yesterday – false accusation of promoting fakes. Now back up.

Kato

I like Jody’s vids. YouTube have offered no explanation either other than a generic email suggesting his channel was involved in counterfeiting

some new things here…..

Turtle is now on a Super Engineer 2 which is way more comfortable than the Seiko bracelet but I’m not sure the angular bracelet works with the pillow watch head?

and I finally bought a G-Shock!  A Casioak!

Kryton57

I like the Seiko, it works for me!

Before I bought the Tissot my other choice was the Casioak, although I was looking at the stealth one. It looks good, bigger than I expected, buy I’m guessing its pretty light? If it had Sapphire and Solar it’d be pretty much perfect in my view.

Kato

Yeah weighs nothing! It’s actually wears quite small as it’s certainly not the usual G-Shock big!  I think it’s just the camera angle that makes it look large. Considered the stealth one as well as it looks better, but wanted to be able to tell the time!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Treated myself and ordered one of these today:

Hamilton PSR

GTDave
    Free Member

sprootlet
    Does anyone have any experience of ICE watches?

Yes, I have a couple of ICE watches for beach / DIY / knock about use. They are absolutely fine and also cheap to pick up on eBay should I need to replace!

derek_starship
    Free Member

My Hamilton arrived and it’s lovely.

Time is displayed constantly but brightness can be boosted by pressing the button.
    Strangely for LEDs (OLEDs actually) they become more visible in bright light.

Hewn from a solid billet of SS, it feels very well made.

This pic shows the display in its normal unboosted state.

tthew

If it’s constantly on, how long do the batteries last, or is it rechargeable?

Or are they actually LED’s and not some kind of modern low power display that’s mimicking them.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The display is hybrid, comprising reflective LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) / emissive OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diodes).

With no “uplighting” battery life is approx. 5 years.

If you’re pressing the button dozens of times a day then it’s not going to last so long!

cromolyolly
    Free Member

I had a Texas Instruments watch like that. Still have it somewhere. The display was blank until you pressed the button. It was great.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply GTDave !

dmorts

Has anyone got a Marloe watch? I like the look of them, but I don’t get the references e.g. Coniston Vulcan

I sort of understand the link to Coniston Water and Donald Campbell through the caseback engraving (tenuous as it may be), but then what’s the Avro Vulcan got to do with that as well? It’s like they converted the ideas/inspiration board directly into the marketing pitch.
    I think the watch could stand up on its own without the references.

dmorts

There is a link to the Vulcan

Shortly after [Donald Campbell’s] death, a Royal Air Force Vulcan from 12 (B) Squadron made an impromptu tribute, flying over Coniston Water and conducting a wing wave as a mark of respect.

Makes a bit more sense now rather than just a collection of British icons in one watch!

derek_starship
    Free Member

Warning: distressing content

A veritable snip at a mere £1775!

Kato

Awful

Murray

Got a nice new NATO strap from WatchGeko, thought about getting some spare spring bars to replace the cheap Chinese ones that I threw away as they rusted solid. Decided to be good and save a couple of quid.

Guess who’s just heard the sound of a spring bar flying across the room, never to be seen again?

mayan
    Free Member

Has anyone used Chrono24 or similar to buy an expensive (few thousand) watch?
    Lots of options on there significantly cheaper than AD’s for brand new with papers and box, and it sounds safer than the likes of ebay. Just a little scary trusting them that much money…..

woffle
    Free Member

Has anyone used Chrono24 or similar to buy an expensive (few thousand) watch?
    Lots of options on there significantly cheaper than AD’s for brand new with papers and box, and it sounds safer than the likes of ebay. Just a little scary trusting them that much money…..

Yup. Same as anywhere – you buy the seller more than the watch and if it seems to good to be true etc.  I’ve bought from private sellers and dealers on C24. In either instance, using their escrow service. I’ve then had the purchases verified by AD / Service centre before approving the release of funds.

EDIT: I’ve also just had a bad experience with one of the online platforms that promise to ‘authenticate’ the items before they send them onto you. The watch that turned up was so obviously a replica as to be almost funny – I had used Paypal so leant on their refund process to ensure I got my money back. So I wouldn’t put too much store in these places that offer to verify anything  – you want things checked out by the brands themselves where possible. Depends on the brand too though – especially where ‘standard’ ETA movements are concerned some of the replicas are pretty much true 1-to-1 with gens.

Kato

I bought a flieger! I’ve previously had a miyota powered Laco and wasn’t impressed. What I really want is a Stowa but I’m changing jobs so can’t justify the spend.

So I give you a Chinese special Escapement Time B-Uhr. Got an NH35 and sapphire crystal!

for £80!!!

I’m actually quite impressed with it, although 42mm dial and 50mm lug to lug is as big as I’d want to go. It will suffice until the Stowa arrives!

Oh. And I’m going to be a train driver! A good day!

Murray

@kato, congratulations on the new job. Watch looks good, utilitarian just like the originals.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 8,704 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.