Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • lowey

After much tooing and frowing, I ended up getting a Rolex Datejust with the blue face and smooth bezel. Love it. Very understated.

tonyg2003

Nice choice… (another owner of the exact same model here). I do like the blue face.

derek_starship
    Free Member

[subjective]nicko74. That Tudor deserves to be on a quality bracelet.

There’s a time and a place for NATO – and that is not it.
    [/subjective]

plyphon
    Free Member

I kiiiiindddd of disagree, a watch with racing pedigree can work on a NATO!

plus-one

Snobbery reaches the world of watches too 😉

cookeaa

@tthew

replacements are available, the other thing to try is ‘polywatch’ you might be able to tidy up the old acrylic crystal that way…

nicko74

derek_starship

[subjective]nicko74. That Tudor deserves to be on a quality bracelet.

There’s a time and a place for NATO – and that is not it.
    [/subjective]

It actually comes with the NATO and a bracelet

But yes, time to swap and see how it feels/ looks. Sadly it’s edging out the Omega for regular wrist wear.

On which note, anyone have a watch winder?

ElShalimo

Wow that Tudor does nowt for me but each to their own. I’m sure it’s a great watch

For those of you with multiple automatic watches, how do you keep them all wound up and set to the correct time?
    If it lies in the cupboard for a month then surely it needs faffing with before wearing?

lunge

For those of you with multiple automatic watches, how do you keep them all wound up and set to the correct time?

Personally, I don’t. Give them a shake or a wind in the morning when I put them on, set the time and I’m sorted. All part of my morning routine, takes 30 seconds or so I reckon.

nicko74

If it lies in the cupboard for a month then surely it needs faffing with before wearing?

I was talking with a mate about this – he has various beater automatics and can’t keep more than 2 wound at any one time. The ideal solution is really a winder attached to a Raspberry Pi and a decent app. So you specify that you want to wear watch #2 next Monday, and it’ll start winding it Sunday night. That way you just have to set it to the right time, and you’re good to go.

tonyg2003

I have an Aevitas watch winder. It’s a little noisy at night (in the bedroom) so it’s on a timer. Works fine.

plus-one

That Tudor looks nicer on the nato imo. Maybe I’ve hairier arms than some I find the bracelets can pull hairs !

scratch
    Free Member

Any recomendations for new leather strap suppliers?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Plus one, bracelets with solid links don’t tend to pull hairs. I’d the links a folded then they do….. And they stretch, take a look at older Rolex straps!

My planet Ocean is 6 years old and had only stopped half a dozen times, it’s worn must I’d the time and with a 60 hour power reserve it goes a weekend of non wear. My steinhart is my beater, put on for DIY it’s picked up, have wound and set, put on. I can keep it running I’d I wear it a few hours deck evening though. I’m currently juggling watches having just got the SMP. It hasn’t run for a while so the lube isn’t round the whole mechanism. I’m giving it enough wrist time to keep it running…. It’s probably going to mean the steinhart stops tomorrow. The SMP has sped up lots since Saturday so it’s nearly there, then I can get it reregulated.

With an auto it’s best to hand wind if it’s stopped. The auto mechanism can often struggle to get a stopped watch up to fully wound.

Jason
    Free Member

I have also never found the need for a watch winder. I tend to wear a beaten up quartz watch at the weekend and then put on a nicer watch during the week. If I put an automatic on in the morning I just wear it for ten minutes or so and then set the time and date when I get chance – only takes a few seconds to set. I have never been convinced that watch winders are actually good for watches, or whether they cause the watch internals to wear quicker.

bearnecessities

Hirsch are the go-to mass market leather strap suppliers. They make straps for the big boys, and sell under their own label for much less.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m looking for a nice 18mm wide NATO in a tan leather, possibly a distressed look for my SMP. I’ll likely go cheap as I’m not too sure how I’ll like the look, note how much wear it will get. Any suggestions?

Kryton57

Any recommendations for a watch roll?

bearnecessities

No. You’re getting silly now.

lunge

Watch Gecko are pretty good. If you want something a little more homemade and rustic there’s a seller on eBay called lawr389 who makes some lovely straps.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Any Good recommendations for Rolex servicing? Mine’s coming up to 10 years and is well overdue. Strap is pretty worn too. I know it’s going to hurt 😥

Tiger6791

Good news!

I’m not sure how worried you lot were but I found the Speedmaster! it was in a safe place as I thought

Date says June 12th so i last wore this June 2017!!

Still my favourite, Mo is less than impressed

(Edit: Hmmm, seems flickr is borked)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Have a look at Hamtun Watches. They had a watch called the H1 which sold really well and was very keenly priced. In March the H2 is released. 41mm.sapphire glass. Amazing lume. Ti with anti scratch coating on the bracelet. Choice of nh35 or sellita movement. UK company. Nice looking too.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple from steveostraps which I’ve been pleased with.

ebikegum

I posted back on page 3 of this thread about an Omega Speedmaster Automatic Reduced that I have. After some soul searching I have decided that it is time to sell the watch (and pay off part of the cost of a recent foray into the land that is SRAM Etap).

The watch was bought by me in 2000 and still has it’s original presentation box and cardboard sleeve as well as all papers and purchase receipt. Admittedly, the watch is now in need of a service as it hasn’t been worn for over 5 years now. I’ll try to get serial number and photos, but in the meantime is anyone able to give an idea as to possible value. Condition-wise, I’d say 7.5 out of 10 pending the service if that helps.

stevemorg2

Ebikegum,
    I did show some interest when you first mentioned you might sell it – I’m afraid I didn’t read your post properly – I’m after a full size, not reduced Speedmaster
    Cheers

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’ll try to get serial number and photos, but in the meantime is anyone able to give an idea as to possible value. Condition-wise, I’d say 7.5 out of 10 pending the service if that helps.

Watchfinder buy in prices are a good indicator for a private sale price, if you send them pics and all the info they usually email you back with a guide price.
    You will not get retail prices selling privately (or only if your buyer knows very little)
    If you can’t sell it privately then at least you can go to them.

tthew

Thanks for the suggestion @cookeaa, but those crystals are the original plastic ones too, I’ll try some of that polish suggested.

neilnevill
    Free Member

https://www.watchmaster.com/en/omega/speedmaster/17500321/5PO2YGJS2W?reference_code=YDINLPGU9H&MID=EN_GB_SEP_1-29-0_2-1456-0_3-39859-0_4-50944-0_12-159932-0_0-0-0&lc=GB&l=en&gclid=Cj0KCQiA1NbhBRCBARIsAKOTmUvCNIj-SESauJw5SswerhM8jbF59xf8d9sUWG9LWS-OMXGQgneW84UaAqQbEALw_wcB

£1700 for a 38mm speedy (is that the reduced one?). Year 2000. Case refurbished and movement recalibrated (just means regulated I think so f’all…. And a case polish isn’t much either). That’s sale price though.

Tiger6791

Flickr is un-borked

[/url]

CountZero

@Tiger6791 – you’ve got the same G-Shock as me, although I’ve got adaptors fitted to allow a NATO strap to be fitted, ‘cos the plastic strap makes my wrist sore. I like it as a watch, although I find the red hour hand makes it tricky to tell the time in poor light, and the lume is a joke. The other issue is it’s timekeeping – it’s gained two minutes in nearly two months, much worse than my mechanical watches. I’m not sure if there’s any way to regulate it or not, I’ll do a search in a minute.

It seems there is, but it’s a bit of a phaff to get it really accurate:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/how-adjust-accuracy-g-shock-83153.html

aphex_2k
    Free Member

A few people have mentioned inaccuracies with quartz. I didn’t know it was a “thing” – thought they were meant to be very accurate?

If anyone is hanging out for a Helm – the actual watches are ready but there’s been a delay with the bracelets and they’re now looking optimistically at March for sales. I’m torn between a Hamtun H2 (as I have a weakness for anything ti) or holding out for the Helm. I’d try and sneak both but my wife has a knack of spotting new wrist-bling when I’ve forgotten to take off a sneaky new purchase. “Is that a new watch?” umm……..

kilo

Mikertroid Alsal on the strand if in London, done mine and my brietling, good value, proper shop

plyphon
    Free Member

A few people have mentioned inaccuracies with quartz. I didn’t know it was a “thing” – thought they were meant to be very accurate?

Same as anything – high quality and low quality quartz out there. Japanese and Swiss quartz tend to be very accurate. Bulova offers a 262 kHz caliber quartz in their moonwatch – it is a high-frequency quartz movement that Bulova calls “High Performance Quartz” – very accurate.

Chinese quartz tend to be pretty shoddy, though.

plus-one

Think nato straps are my new thing 😉

CountZero
    ElShalimo

@CountZero – I thought Massdrop was US only?

cookeaa

@countzero any chance of a price so I don’t have to give away my details for nowt?

plus-one

Jeez how many watch companies are there !!

These look ok for €99

https://myaeroluft.com/en/inicio/14-pilot-watch-billy-bishop.html

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.