Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 8,704 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Dashing past Goldsmiths on Victoria yesterday I paused for 30 seconds to peer at the Tudor display. Other than thinking, ‘Wow how many variants of the Black Bay now!?’ and alo, ‘How big? has it grown?’ I find I do rather like the black bay. Even the bimetal S&G looks sort of …vintage and not bling. I think its the gilt dial and the gold looks brushed not polished. Still favour the orignal with the Claret bezel, or possibly the 58 (smaller 39mm case, yippee…it does appear possibly the trend for ever bigger has possibly topped out).

Anyway, Tudor, nice watches… popping on to Hodinkee just now I see the vintage Tudor subs are getting to some insane prices now, not just the Rolex ones, £350k asking price for one recently!

plus-one

I’ve posted 2 g-shocks for sale on classifieds. Shameless plug sorry 🙁

One as new boxed(Rasta) one vintage g-lide

CountZero

@Kryton57 – I like that Russian watch you posted, really nice styling. The case is reminiscent of something, possibly an Omega, but the hands and numerals are very Art Deco. Looks good with the Sharkskin mesh strap. I could really live with one of those.
    Any idea what the make is? I can’t read the Cyrillic script.

CountZero

@Kryton57 – that watch is a Vostok Amphibia – I cant find the exact model at the mo’, but it’s something like this 1967 reissue, certainly the case has that look about it…

I think I’ve found it, it’s the Amphibian Classic 960…

https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-classic/960/vostok-watch-amphibian-classic-960760pu.html

neilnevill
    Free Member

Plus one, the CWC g10 is £125 in crystal palace jewelers. I didn’t ask Daryll about it, or get it out the window but it looked perfect.

I ended up going +1…. 36mm blue auto bond seamaster 300m. As always, Daryll did a good price, great service and…I spent ages just chatting watches!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Having mentioned Tudor…. Daryll has a 39mm black bay in, brand new/unworn.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

I have a Tudor from the 90’s, hoping it’ll be worth something one day.
    Anyway great thread

Kryton57

CountZero i checked – hes says its a Vostock Amphibia Neptune & Bezel on a 110 case.

plus-one

£125 seems reasonable from a shop 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Anyone ordered from creation lately?

Murray

The Amphibian looks great. I used to have a Soviet pocket patch bought in the hard currency shop when I was in Moscow in 1989. Sadly I left it in Australia.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

This thread makes me happy for the watches I get to see and sad for an obvious reason. Keep Theo the links a pics coming please.

neilnevill
    Free Member

plus one

£125 seems reasonable from a shop 🙂

Daryll ‘s prices are very keen. as shops go i guess its small and for a jewellers it doesn’t look swanky! so i guess he keeps overheads lowish and hence prices keen. he knows his regulars too and will often knock a bit off the window price. i got about 12% off the stickered price on the seamaster today, and he knocked 10% off the price he was asking on the black bay too, offered to sell it for the price he said he paid for it even though he knows he will shift it quickly….he’s bought it, sold it and bought it back from a regular in the last month. made it hard to leave!

plus-one

Sounds like a great shop.

CountZero

@Kryton57 – thanks for the update, looking at the case of the 960 the strap attatchment is different, so it did have me wondering. Nice looking watch, the Art Deco hands and dial are just really appealing. Your friends watch may be a bit of a Frankenwatch, but it works really well, I’d be really happy to own one like it.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice on the Orient earlier, think I’ll take the advice and save a wee bit more and get something else that may not necessarily be a daily.

@wysiwyg
    – how recently are we talking? I bought something in September I think? Also have my eye on something else on there but a bit worried about the price of import duties. The watch I bought in September was £110 and the duties were about £30 on top (after delivery oddly)

Anyone done a big purchase on Creation?, If so, how much and what were the import duties?

plus-one

Just as I imagined it. Looks a great wee place 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

That’s the shop and yep it’s not swanky and not in a swanky spot on the street. Just a nice little place with a nice proprietor.

Perhaps what I enjoyed most about hour or more in there yesterday, wasn’t buying the seamaster, or looking over a fine black bay, but just chatting watches with Daryll and another customer that came in considering a first ‘posh watch’ as a 50th birthday present for himself. We talked brands, which are more affordable, which hold value, new Vs pre owned and Imv Daryll gave great advice/offered thoughts with zero attempt to sell anything in particular. It was fun. A steady stream of regular customers popping in to flip a watch or just chat or after a battery or bracelet resizing or such all say to me Daryll is very well thought of.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Regarding Tudor watches, I think its a shame Beckham became their face recently. It devalued the brand IMHO.

plus-one

Lady ga ga and the all blacks even it out 🙂

bearnecessities

^ I totally misread the order of those words at first..

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I was wondering if anyone had swung under the radar with the duty?

CountZero

Regarding Tudor watches, I think its a shame Beckham became their face recently. It devalued the brand IMHO.

Why? For a great many people, Beckham is something of a rôle model. At least he’s not the sort of footballer who gets his mugshot in the meeja for drunken behaviour in public…
    Anyway, it’s the long-term value of such watches that’s important, over decades, where such associations become irrelevant.

alpineharry
    Free Member

From what I’ve read, if you choose the royal mail delivery option you pay £6-9 for delivery but you don’t pay customs, although it doesn’t come with a box I’m sure you could pick something up for less than 20% + £10 of the value of the watch

Vader
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a reputable watch repairer in Edinburgh?

I have a Tag Formula 1 series 1 that I have had 30years since new, needs a new battery and a hand re-set. Not wholly convinced I need to be paying the full Tag service charge!

ta

demonracer

@alpineharry, I recently purchased from creation and paid for the special delivery option as I had read I wouldn’t be charged customs on another forum. I also purchased a watch box separately (£3 I believe) to see if this arrived, i’m Happy to report no customs were charged (they couldn’t be as it must of been sent from within the UK??) and the watch arrived in the purchased box.

alpineharry
    Free Member

@demonracer. I wonder if it was the same forum we read but I believe via royal mail they go to Ireland first and then to the UK so no customs charges as it looks like it’s shipped from there instead.

Interesting that it came inside the box,did you purchase the box off of creation? I’ve never really looked for the option

demonracer

@alpineharry i’m Pretty sure I read it on TZ-UK. It did indeed come from Ireland. I’ve just had a look and it seems they only have Seiko boxes, they are £4 extra.

sas78

@Vadar, I have used Brendan Haddock in Murrayfield. Seems very good, deals with all sorts of watches.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yes, thats what I read, but recent threads lead me to believe they no longer ship at “measuring instrument” @ $20.
    Well i’ll find out when my Seikos arrive

robowns
    Free Member

I’ve got a Red Black Bay, love it, wear it daily. Have a rubber strap from RubberB if I fancy something different to the metal/NATO.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Robowns, that’s my favourite I think. Lube the bezel and also the gilt coloured markings on the dial. The smaller (39mm) 58 model which is gilt too is up there for me. The one I was looking at must have been a 42mm. The version with silver coloured dial markings and blue bezel. It’s nice, just not my favourite. Still at £1800 for an unworn one with the in house movement, leather strap and midnight blue fabric…. I’m tempted to get it and put it away for a few years. Doubt it would make much but should hold its value in real terms I think, maybe slightly more.

I’m doing to try the SMP on a blue NATO and a tan leather NATO I think.

mrprops
    Free Member

I got a Black Bay 58 on the Nato strap back in July last year, lovely watch wear it almost every day. It is literally the only Tudor watch I like – the size is just right. I believe there is still quite a waiting list for this model from AD’s?

I also have a 2017 Rolex Sub 16610ln for special occasions 🙂

cookeaa

I’m a recent Vostok Noob, I’ve been reading up on them and decided to go looking for a cheap used one to play with rather than buying (another) seiko…
    I finally managed to score a used Amphibia (automatic) in what I think is an ‘090’ case from fleabay over the weekend.

It’s got a slightly gopping ‘KGB’ dial with a sort of worn looking champaign sunburst finish, and I don’t much like the bezel (from the photos) but then that was the point, to get a stainless case and an Automatic movement for ~£27 that I can mod…

I’ve been eyeing up various possible mods; Bezels, dials possibly some new hands and I’ve happened upon “Dr. Seikostein” (ebay shop) and I could easily spend a bit on Bezels and hands for the Vostok with him…

I think once I’m done with this automatic I’ll go looking for a hand wound one in a different case shape to play with possibly a “komandirskie” to see what can be done with a brass case.

But they’re basically an ideal (beginner) modder/tinkerer’s watch; cheap, lot’s about, various case shapes available but with almost universally interchangable parts that can produce very different looking pieces, and they can go to 200m (amphibia)…

And even if you don’t want to fiddle with them, as an N+1 they’re interesting with a bit of a coldwar backstory and a 50 year old utilitarian design…

plus-one

Pro trek my favorite. Atomic time keeping and solar. Wear and forget 🙂

Got a nato strap to fit.

tthew

@cookeaa Do you know if you can get some kind of crystal some for the older Vostock’s? The plastic one really does scuff up easily.

nicko74

Since everyone’s talking Tudor, it’s been 4 years and I still like my Heritage Chrono. I keep thinking I’ll change it to the bracelet for a change, but haven’t got round to it.

CountZero

I have a Tag Formula 1 series 1 that I have had 30years since new, needs a new battery and a hand re-set. Not wholly convinced I need to be paying the full Tag service charge!

Any decent watch dealer ought to be able to do that, the Formula 1 isn’t a serious dive watch, so long as the O-rings are replaced and lubed to maintain a reasonable water resistance it ought to be fine. My best mate is a goldsmith, but he gets asked to replace watch batteries in all sorts of watches, up to and including Rolex, Breitling, etc, and has no problem with them, other than certain case backs need a specific tool – he’d have no problem with your Formula 1.
    The last time my TAG Heuer Series 1000 needed a battery it got sent back to TAG, and cost me £30, that was years ago – next one will probably cost me a fiver!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

tthew

Subscriber

@cookeaa
    Do you know if you can get some kind of crystal some for the older Vostock’s? The plastic one really does scuff up easily.

Try here:
    http://chistopolcity.com/6-spare-watch-parts

neilnevill
    Free Member

Nicko74 they strap suits that chrono. Nice watch.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 8,704 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.