Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 8,722 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Tiger6791

I wonder what impact smart/activity watches will have on the nice watch market. Having just the other week got a Garmin Instinct my daily wear for the past 15 years Seamaster has hardly been on my wrist.

I bought a Garmin about 2 years ago at the same time I put my Speedmaster somewhere safe! I can’t remember where I put it but I know it’s safe. Not worn it since though

Harris
    Free Member

This is a great thread. Makes a pleasant change from previous watch discussions. I rotate my watches week to week. Hopefully this will help to keep the movements in good order but either way they’ll all need a service a some point.
    Mine are: Rolex Sub (Kermit), Rolex Cellini, IWC Pilot XVI, Omega Seamaster.

igm

Rotation is good.

CountZero

I wonder what impact smart/activity watches will have on the nice watch market.

Not much, really. I’m pretty sure anyone buying a smartwatch knows it’s going to be obsolete within a few years, once the battery dies and software updates are no longer available, probably five years at most. A decent analogue watch from a good maker will still be usable a century on. My mechanical Yema Rallygraf is now around fifty years old, and works fine after a new mainspring and service. My TAG Heuer Series 1000 ‘Nightdiver’ is getting on for thirty-five years old, is working just fine, hasn’t needed a battery for some years, had a redial around twenty years ago after the retaining pins on the back of the original face fell off.
    I cannot imagine any smartwatch lasting even ten years.

CountZero

I’ve just had an email from Huckberry in the States, they gather all sorts of outdoor gear, and they have limited numbers of an Italian watch brand that might be of interest:
    https://huckberry.com/store/unimatic?utm_campaign=01.01+Unimatic+%28NPFNJj%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJhZHJpYW4uaGlsbGllckBtZS5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJiVnZ2QmUifQ%3D%3D&utm_source=Newsletter+-+International

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’m selling a BNIB Edifice Toro Rosso if anyone likes them, drop me a message

neilnevill
    Free Member

Plus one, not sure, I’ll try and go past and look, it was in the window so if it’s still there I’ll let you know the asking price.

Kryton57

Wysiwyg – ygm.

fathomer

This thread has made me want a new watch…….

Really like the look of the STW favourite Seiko SNDA57 but can I find them for sale, no, no I can’t!

plus-one

Neilnevill thanks.. I’ve never looked at as many watches in my life !! See my current collection swelling 🙂

alpineharry
    Free Member

Anyone have any opinions on the Orient Ray II? Just as an everyday watch, would more than likely change to a leather strap of some sort also.
    https://www.orientwatchusa.com/products/ray-ii-faa02005d9

aphex_2k
    Free Member

What about…

blue 007

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not saying Orient aren’t OK…. They’re good watches. But I think a few quid more gets you better. In terms of movement, build, glass, lume. Newer models of Phoibos seem to be getting pricey. 250 ish dollars gets you quite a nice deal thoigh at the moment.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Just as an everyday watch, would more than likely change to a leather strap of some sort also.

A diver on leather?
    Outrageous behaviour.

stevied
    Free Member

I think likely i’ll be saving up to get the 12yo Tag Serviced and cleaned

I had my WAJ1110 2009 serviced/refurbished/polished by these guys: http://www.watchrepairuk.com/
    Did a great job and looked good as new (apart from a big dent in the clasp which wouldn’t come out) and cost me a little over £300 (back in Sept ’18)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Tropic ftw

lunge

I’ve got that exact Orient Ray II and like it a lot. Keeps good time, robust and looks a lot more expensive than it is, the blue on the face is really good. The bracelet it comes on is OK, but I prefer it on either a NATO or a brown leather strap.

You’ll not go far wrong with it at all.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Orient I believe are ok. Steinhart are only a few quid more and come with eta movements, some elabore, and rest of the build quality is very good, so you should consider those too.

somafunk

I bought a phoibas as shown ^ by aphex_2k, PX002Aas shown here with quartz movement and it has only lost 11 seconds over the last 8weeks since setting the exact time – that’s a helluva lot better than the seiko automatic (yobokies) it replaced, I changed the strap for a Zulu Diver 300 rubberstrap from watch gecko (smells of vanilla for some reason).

It’s obviously outclassed by just about every other watch on this thread but it tells the same time as any other watch so i’m perfectly happy with it

lunge

with quartz movement and it has only lost 11 seconds over the last 8weeks

Joking aside, that’s not great for a quartz movement. It’s not bad for an auto but I’d expect a quartz to be a little better than that.

Steinhart are only a few quid more and come with eta movements

Orient are in house movements (well, that or Seiko movements), which, if they were Swiss, you’d pay a big premium for. The movements are not particularly pretty but they are solid, reliable and accurate and certainly no worse than a generic ETA movement.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Thanks lunge. I know little about Orient, just by reputation they are ok.

It seems a bit odd to me to prize in house movements in lower to mid end watches, the makers aren’t investing heavily and driving development forward…. The recent restrictions in ETA ebouchments has driven many to their own movements, which although I’ve not read into I suspect most are cloned Seiko or ETA. High end brands do develop clever bits and generate sales from their development… But lower down I’m not convinced it’s a selling point. If it’s got an ETA, it’s easily serviced…. That is a selling point to me…. Although I’m not saying Orient movement isn’t good, just it’s worth considering a known good movement.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just bought a 009 jubilee and a sea urchin. Great

athgray
    Free Member

Whilst visiting I took a trip into London today. I am not normally into expensive baubles, cars or other extravagant items with fashionable labels.

I did however pass pleny of jewellers with loads of vintage men’s Rolex watches. I found myself quite smitten. I like a leather strap. If I wished to get a decent vintage watch without spending silly money, where might be a good place to look or a manufacturer to look out for?

CountZero

If I wished to get a decent vintage watch without spending silly money, where might be a good place to look or a manufacturer to look out for?

The classics, like Rolex, Breitling, etc, are all fetching high prices, you need to look for early models of less well-known watches, which is where the collectors are starting to look. One example is my TAG Heuer Series 1000 ‘Night Diver’ – I paid £250 for it around 1985-ish. It was one of the first sports watches Heuer produced with TAG’s involvement, and came in a variety of models, all black finish with luminous face, stainless with luminous face, plus a couple of other variations.
    Up until very recently, nobody was paying much attention to them, until collectors obsessed with the watches worn by James Bond checked the first Timothy Dalton film, and realised he’s wearing the TAG ‘Night Diver’ in the first scenes, set on Gibraltar, and the stainless version in the rest of the film. Prices are nw starting to go up as a result, I’ve seen examples of mine starting to go for £1000 or more. Maybe older Citizen watches, or similar might be worth looking at, I don’t know, I’m not someone who collects watches for any monetary reasons, I’ve just bought mine years apart because I like them. Just by chance my old Yema is worth getting on or £4000, I paid £50 for it!
    Really, just find something you like the look of, and if the price is doable, buy it.

plus-one

CWC G10 arrived this morning it’s 1990
    Navy issue. Bar a tiny graze on crystal(hard to see) I looks as new 🙂

Kryton57

For the love of god tuck that Nato in…

CountZero

This might be of interest to everyone on this thread, I’ve just watched (ha!) it through and it’s fascinating. It’s a watchmaker taking apart two movements, one Japanese, one Swiss, both used by the same watch brand:

Jason
    Free Member

I had the black face version of the Orient watch shown in the picture above. I used it for a year or so and then sold it to an Egyptian guy who worked in a dive shop in Eugpt while I was on holiday there. I went back a year later and the watch was still working perfectly and looked to be in pretty good condition, although I think he had changed it to a rubber strap. Given they are not that expensive and it had probably had a hard 12 months after I sold it in Eygpt I was genuinely impressed in how it had stood up to the use.

I would happily buy another one.

Kryton57

This might be of interest to everyone on this thread

I found that fascinating, thanks for posting.

However, $300 difference for essentially 2 plastic cogs and a the addition of a lever to stop the clock on adjustment? I was kind of hoping for a “and this is why…” lightbulb moment.

plus-one

I’m new to Nato straps I had tucked it in as it was annoying me !! 🙂

Kryton57

Don’t worry – I needed this also!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

@somafunk

pics? I was tempted with the quartz version in black… Great price huh? I just can’t stand the cyclops! Does it not protrude and catch on things? Is it the same sapphire as the main glass? $119 is bloody tempting though.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

This on the auto 007 Phoibos

plus-one

Current want

Nice vid kryton 🙂

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Prefer the SARB017

plus-one

That sarb is lovely 🙂 I don’t think an auto is for me I know(had auto Seiko years ago) I got fed up having to wind it up 🙁

athgray
    Free Member

After my post about vintage watches, I have been doing a bit of research. Do any vintage experts, have any opinions on Russian watches? It seems there are a few variants of Sekonda watches and they are cheap.
    I am not looking at it as an investment.

CountZero

The poster who asked about future collectible watches, or at least quality watches that aren’t fetching stupid prices might like to look through this site, there are some Tudor and Omega watches going for significantly less than the Rolex watches, and there’s a nice TAG Heuer Monaco with the square case made famous by Steve McQueen for reasonable money…
    https://www.watchmaster.com/en/shop?mid=EN_GB_DIS_1-1-1_0-0-0_0-0-0_0-0-0_0-0-0_0-0-0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-qjTxeHT3wIVSuLVCh2VJAgrEAEYASAAEgLkj_D_BwE&page=3

Kryton57

Do any vintage experts, have any opinions on Russian watches?

My horologist friends daughter bought him this for Christmas – I can’t tell you anything about it, maybe someone else can help:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RSbKE1]2019-01-04_07-15-02[/url]

tthew

This is the cheapo Russian watch I bought off e-bay just before Christmas. It’s a Vostock from the ’80’s, (probably) like one I bought half a lifetime ago on an Interrailing trip through Prague.

It’s got a plastic dome, which is a bit bloody scratchy, but can cleaned up with mobile phone screen polish and I’m pretty sure a NATO strap’s not really suitable 😄 but that’s not the reason I purchased it.

watch

edit – blimey, resizing that on imgur made it look terrible, sorry about that.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 8,722 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.