Viewing 40 posts - 8,721 through 8,760 (of 9,115 total)
  • Watches N+1…
    derek_starship
    Free Member

This has rekindled bad memories!

In August 1992 I bought an Omega Constellation from WoS in Manchester. I was soooooo chuffed with it. Two weeks later I went to Provence with a mate for a road trip.

And I wore the new watch. And I scuffed the case on a waterslide…take the Arnie!

neilnevill
    Free Member

The Arnie is fine.  Not enough watch to get mugged for,  worry about a scratch at the beach or losing if the holiday place gets robbed, yet enough watch to be robust and give pleasure to the wearer.

I reckon you’re concerned because you don’t know the location.  Just as you wouldn’t wear your smp to a dodgy bit of London you are Vincent’s m concerned as you don’t know the dodgy bits of your holiday location.  No shame in taking the Arnie into the unknown.

igm

No shame in taking the Arnie into the unknown.

Surely you need an Explorer for the unknown?

w00dster

It’s quiet in this topic lately….so some pics….Today is Panerai day, GMT, about 20 years old so almost a vintage watch….on black leather also have the standard rubber that I may swap to. It is quite chunky and a nice heft to it.

IMG_8089IMG_8090

derek_starship
    Free Member

@w00dster: that’s gorgeous.

Kryton57

That’s lovely Woodster and by coincidence I’m sitting across from a mate of mine in Spain, he’s wearing exactly the same watch.

Even better IRL, has a certain “shine” to it.

swdan
    Free Member

I give you a £600 Timex

I saw that yesterday and actually really like it, just not that bothered about paying the James Brand tax

IHN

I give you a £600 Timex

I like that too. And if it’s not worth £600 because it’s Timex, that surely proves that people are mainly paying (or not) for the name on watch though, right?

w00dster

I don’t think it’s just about paying for the name, there is no doubt the luxury name tax. But there is genuine craftsmanship gone into making of expensive watches. I’m not going to go into a huge lecture here, but for me personally I’ll only wear certain brands and only those watches that I find interesting.

I do get the point you’re making though. Again for me personally I’d have no issue with buying a Timex for £600 if it was interesting enough. But £600 would put it up against other watches that at least for me would be my preference.

I have a fairly large collection of watches, I am just as happy with a really nice £150 watch as I am with my much more expensive watches.

IHN

But there is genuine craftsmanship gone into making of expensive watches

Well that’s definitely what their brand marketing is built on.

But when you’re making tens of thousands of watches (a quick Google finds that Panerai make 26000 watches every year), I think the line between craftsmanship and mass production has been pretty much crossed.

flyingpotatoes

Finally decided to get the Seiko. Not the exact one I wanted as funds didn’t allow.

The strap is a bit too stiff so will probably swap it out.

PXL_20240525_095414215.MP

w00dster

Nice choice Flying Potatoes. I do like that series of watches, love the colours.

catfood
    Free Member

What are people’s opinions on Baltany? My son wants a watch for his 16th birthday, he likes the look of some Seiko 5s and also some Baltanys, Seestern also do some nice homages, it’s more the case size that concerns me, the Seiko are 40mm and Baltany tend to be more like 36mm, which would suit his wrists a bit better.

Any feedback or other suggestions for brands to look at around the £200 mark that are solid and not too enormous would be most welcome.

tthew

the Seiko are 40mm and Baltany tend to be more like 36mm, which would suit his wrists a bit better.

Really depends on the wrist diameter. 36mm will look a bit small on anything bigger than average, about 7.5 inch dia. 40mm most people can get away with especially Seikos as they tend to have short lug to lug measurements.

neilnevill
    Free Member

There is a lot more said about watch size than it matters really.  Ime you get used to a big or small watch very quickly and then forget the size.

I’ve a very average or smallish wrist at 6.75″ and wear 42mm a lot,  45mm happily and 36mm is fine too.

derek_starship
    Free Member

@catfood

Baltany are a good VFM brand. I have two and they have been very reliable. Build quality and specifications belie their pricing.

I changed the supplied straps for Hirsch.

https://i.imgur.com/JC38q2j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HCvuoXt.jpg

The military field watch is manually wound.

johnners
    Free Member

Ime you get used to a big or small watch very quickly and then forget the size.

This. It just comes down to personal preference, I favour sub 39mm watches these days but I’ve still got a few around 42mm (including a couple of real chunkers like a Monster and a Khuraburi) which i’m perfectly happy to wear.

Baltany are a solid value brand, a Seiko around the same price still be a lower spec and no better made. It’d still have the Seiko name though, which may count for something.

Robz
    Free Member

Picked this up yesterday – Black Bay 41 Monocrome

Thought I was sold on the five link jubilee style bracelet but after trying it on I just wasn’t convinced. Much preferred the three link. The new clasp is a marked improvement on the previous version.

I was indifferent about it when it was launched but after seeing it in the flesh I just really liked it.

I really like that Timex!

w00dster

IMG_2315Very nice Robz. Whats different about the clasp? I have a BB58 from about 5 years ago, didn’t notice anything wrong with it….

(I do prefer the monochrome over mine)

Robz
    Free Member

Just that it’s got on the fly micro adjust that my Black Bay GMT doesn’t have, and that there’s a nice Tudor logo machined into it. Very much like a Rolex Sub clasp.

It’s also just a bit more dainty as the bracelet has more of taper than my GMT too so the whole clasp assembly is slimmer and more lightweight.

Lovely BB58! A classic.

nicko74

w00dster
    It’s quiet in this topic lately….so some pics….Today is Panerai day, GMT, about 20 years old so almost a vintage watch….

That’s lovely W00dster. And I believe the term you’re looking for is “neo-vintage” (as used by the more w*nky watch websites… ;))

Kryton57

Anyone got a link / suggestion for a reputable person to mod my 5kx and Arnie with sapphire crystal please?

Kato

On a cruise at the moment.  There’s a watch shop onboard.  At one end of the spectrum they’re asking 13500 for a no date Sub which is ridiculous, but at the other end they are asking 157 for a Promaster Fugu which is less than half retail price.

was tempted to buy them all……

Kato

@robz love that monochrome Black Bay

swdan
    Free Member

@kato, that sounds like a bit of a steal to me. Quite a nice looking watch for the money

Kryton57

Anyone want my Baltany for £103?   Comes with box and papers:

IMG_5593

w00dster

Request to make please, I remember they’re are a few folk on here with Seamaster Pro’s. Could I also for some pics with them being worn? I’m in the market for one, trying to decide on Green on Green Rubber, White face on Black Rubber, Black Dial with Sedna gold and Black Rubber (I’m leaning very heavily towards this, but it’s a fair bit more expensive)

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Seamaster-300m-42mm-Mens-Watch-O21032422004001/p/17331585

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300m-Co+Axial-Master-Chronometer-42mm-Mens-Watch-Green-O21032422010001/p/17331935

https://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300-Mens-Watch-O21022422001002/p/17331482

boblo
    Free Member

I’m obviously a bit biased, but I think the white is ace. On steel mind so not quite what youre after.

w00dster

Thanks @boblo. That is nice. I already have an old Seamaster Pro on steel (blue on steel) from about 2000 so fancy the rubber strap.

boblo
    Free Member

Aye, I have the old coax Jimmy Bond jobbie as well:

Blazin-saddles

White face on black rubber you say?

Blazin-saddles

I’ll get a better photo in the morning if you want but I think the rubber strap is the winner, I really didn’t care for the bracelet at all, so didn’t buy it.

I love my white but the seaweed green on green looks killer to me as well.

boblo
    Free Member

Shit a brick! £260 for a rubber strap. I do like it but not that bloody much…

neilnevill
    Free Member

No the winner is a black sailcloth with white stitching.

Not mine as I can’t be bothered to try and post my own photo but this does as good a job

https://images.app.goo.gl/fLX4eoypW7dNYcDd6

Blazin-saddles

Aye Boblo, They’re obscene priced for sure. Doubt mine will be getting replaced with a genuine when it wears out!  I’m not keen on sailcloth’s for some reason, maybe I’ve just had cheap ones, but I’d look for other high quality rubber straps when the time comes, this one is incredibly comfy though, much softer than other rubber bands I’ve got on other stuff.

IHN

Shit a brick! £260 for a rubber strap.

It’s because of the genuine craftsmanship that went into it ;-)

w00dster

Nice contribution @IHN

Kryton57

As if you needed another….  I’d comply with the white dial / black rubber:

IMG_4500

And despite the lack of focus I’ll add a bit of lume too, becuase for some reason I really love the depth and colour of it and it make a difference for me:

IMG_4439

As you can see, it also goes well with Birkenstocks 😉

w00dster

Thanks Kryton. And yeah that Lume looks really nice. The choice of footwear less so!

Viewing 40 posts - 8,721 through 8,760 (of 9,115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.