Viewing 40 posts - 8,841 through 8,880 (of 8,899 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Kryton57

I think that’s a good summary JAG,  it also the reason I’d want to buy one – not too flash, but exciting for those in the know.
    Im possibly about to flip for a 1 in 2 out policy after spotting a deal on a Slim Heritage turtle (SPB317J1) for similar reasons.  With my sizing sweet spot 39-41, it’s size,”MAS” indices and professional spec serve better for me as a tool replacement for my King Samurai (maybe, to be tested within the returns period).   Yeah it’s an ordinary Seiko diver.   The Sam is too glamorously close to my Omega and at 44 a bit too chunky – again perhaps.  We’ll see.  I think I’m learning not to “overdress” for the occasion!

ElShalimo

Yep Teddy is pompous, He comes across as incredibly smug  (maybe he’s Swiss?)

tthew

Anybody got a view on the originality of Japanese sellers on eBay? Some of them have massive stocks of apparently old refurbished watches, I wonder how they could source such volumes.

Specifically considering this King Seiko, but plenty more like it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266851594200?

kilo

I’ve read posts in another forum from people who’ve bought from Japan and they’ve all been positive. I think I’d be happy to give it a go.

I bought a seiko presage from a non-official dealer in Japan and it all went fine

kevog
    Free Member

Where did all the animal straps go?

In a world full of Zuludivers, NATO’s and French Paratroopers….and let alone straps costing £100+,   I’m starting to feel there was something wonderful about a cheap and cheerful Velcro strap (especially those with a leather or silicone outside band) that didn’t get in the way when I was typing on the laptop

has anyone seen any halfway decent, simple Velcro straps (pref without any metal hardware) , or am I going to have to get the sewing machine out?

Kryton57

I’d suggest a patient search on Ali Express.  The £5 tropic I bought was better than a £13 Uk eBay purchase.  I have a £5 leather deployment strap coming, I’ll let you know.  But there’s lots and lots of variety albeit I do worry if I’m funding Chinese child labour.

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Gul still do the Animal type straps, loads of different designs.

https://gulwatches.com/produkt-kategori/watch-strap/velcro-strap-std/velcro-strap-std-18-20mm-all/

Kryton57

I slipped.  At least one went out before it arrived.  🤦‍♂️

IMG_5674

SPB317J1 – 1968 Heritage re-issue of the 6105-8000 aka “slim Turtle”.

chambord

Hi watch fans. I’ve been watching a series about Clive Myrie in the Caribbean and every episode am getting distracted trying to work out what his watch is – can’t find one that looks similar, any ideas?

https://www.thetimes.com/imageserver/image/%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F922e8727-ec6d-4d0b-827b-f0ffd33768fe.jpg

Kato

I like those Kryton.  Very nice indeed

chewkw
    Free Member

I am going to get this from Argos tomorrow for £24.90 for larger display.

Casio AE-1500WH-2AVEF 

Then perhaps a G-Shock GW-M5610-1ER (£99) at a later date.

johnners
    Free Member

can’t find one that looks similar, any ideas?

Looks quite small by modern standards, maybe a 35-37mm. Vintage military style, it looks like an old Soviet Raketa as much as anything although there are quite a few modern homages around that look similar. The original is probably an IWC or something of that ilk.

I am going to get this from Argos tomorrow

Can’t go far wrong with that if you’re after a big clear display! I do love a Casio.

chewkw
    Free Member

Can’t go far wrong with that if you’re after a big clear display! I do love a Casio.

I wish they make the G-Shock with larger display tbh.

Not sure why they have to stick to smaller display.

ElShalimo

Just move your wrist closer to your face

chewkw
    Free Member

Just move your wrist closer to your face

It needs to be 4 inches from my face as I am also long-sighted.  Makes me look uncool! LOL!

Blazin-saddles

I’m long sighted, I can’t see any of my watches on my wrist without my readers!

igm

Are you certain you’re not short armed? 😉

Blazin-saddles

I’m more ape than t-Rex in the reach department.   Getting old sucks, used to have perfect eyes until 40.

cookeaa

wish they make the G-Shock with larger display tbh.

Not sure why they have to stick to smaller display.

G-Shocks themselves are relatively dinky once you take all the rubber off the module isn’t typically much larger than an F91, hence the display is about the same size.

Dare I say it the main advantage smart watches have over G-shocks for older users is the ability to have huge digits on the display, I’d still choose my 5610 if the apocalypse happened tomorrow though.

Edit here’s a comparison F91/GW-M5610/Instinct solar:

IMG_20240611_073845518

Kryton57

The new mudman has a very large display. But it’ll cost Chewkw an extra £320…..

@kilo
    it still has the stickers on it as I wasn’t sure about the size/style to suit me but at 41mm it’s max my sweet spot.  It’s annoyingly good, gets on with its business and it neither bling nor dull.  I read in one of the reviews that it has the annoying habit of being the watch you want to wear all the time because it’s mostly good at all things including not having to worry about anything (matching clothes, being robbed, scratches etc) and it’s true, it has that weird kind of aura about it, kinda fading into the background but not.   The one foible I read about was the 6r35 but measured against a 5610 its 12s fast since I set it last Saturday at 11am, so +2-3s per day, not too shabby.

cookeaa

I did have a Casio SGW-100 for a while which was the largest displayed digits of any Casio I’ve had to date (and a compass) but I wore the 5610 more so ot had to go.

kilo

@chewkw

you need the Seiko Prospex Super Runners Solar, Japanese market but plenty of sellers will ship to the uk. I was toying with getting one in red.

2B965BA3-1E84-4E1F-B6E5-8FAEB02025F3

Blazin-saddles

Dropped the Moonwatch on a nice Badalassi Tan leather number to casual it up a little.  I like.

Kato

They’re nice on leather. To be fair they’re nice on pretty much all straps. Sometimes have my on brown leather although it’s on bracelet at the mo.

Kryton57

Gosh those are nice Speedys!  Great look.

w00dster

Yup, love the speedys. Look great on brown leather.

djflexure

The new white dial looks very nice too

djflexure

OMEGA_31032425004002

nicko74

Nice Speedies there! I guess, possibly, Speedy Tuesday?

bungle

Spendy Wednesday?

kilo

The thing with the moon watches is the Bulova is a bit cooler and rarer.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/dave-scotts-watch-worn-on-moon-for-sale

(obviously that’s just to tease the omega wearers 😉  )

Kato

Had a Lunar Pilot before.  I liked it but it was a really odd shape.  Wore really big whereas the Speedy wears small.  I understand there’s a new one that slightly smaller but also double the price they were asking for the big boy.

Kato

DPD man is bringing me a summer watch between 1300-1400. Will report back when it arrives

Kryton57

I’m looking at that white dialled speedy and thinking I’d have a perfect 2 watch collection with that on board 😖

Kryton57

…and is it bad that I’m as excited awaiting Kato’s delivery as I might be my own.   Ffs, this is a terrible addiction.

IHN

The thing with the moon watches is the Bulova is a bit cooler and rarer.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/dave-scotts-watch-worn-on-moon-for-sale

Now THAT would be a cool watch to have.

boblo
    Free Member

@djflexure which speed master is that please? Does like…

Blazin-saddles

Boblo – The new Speedmaster moonwatch 31030425004001.  Yours for a cool £7600.

w00dster

@boblo
    https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watch-omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-professional-co-axial-master-chronometer-chronograph-42-mm-31030425004001

Looks like there is a choice of straps, that pic appears to be the two piece leather (032CUZ010011W)

It is very nice! Difficult to purchase by the look of things.

djflexure

Only just released so I imagine stocks will arrive in due course. I think it’s a lovely thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 8,841 through 8,880 (of 8,899 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.