Viewing 40 posts - 8,801 through 8,840 (of 8,899 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • boblo
    Free Member

When learning, the best guitarist, violinist etc are one armed. Like having a mute switch…🙂

I’ve a banjo been sitting here for 15 years waiting for my attention. I’m not musical and tone deaf so that’ll be a struggle. I’ve two arms tho so no real excuse.

Kryton57

Can anyone recommend a good leather strap please, under £100?   I want it exactly the same as the dark brown on the Hammy page 220, cream or white stitching with a milled deployant.   It’s the colour + deploying I’m struggling to find.

Thanks.

igm

Ignoring the OP’s very reasonable question (mainly as I don’t have any info on brown deployants), what watch would STW recommend for learning to play guitar?

Sorry, I’ll self impose a short ban now.

Kryton57

Well, slash was spotted with a Rolex GMT master whilst playing a couple of years back.  😁

kilo

Anything here?

Hirsch Deployment Straps

ignore that you’d have to buy a clasp separately so over-budget

Hirsch Deployment Clasps & Buckles

Kryton57

Yeah thanks – looks like a Hirsch Boston with deployant upgrade wil be £82 – perfect.

Just need to wait for next months wages….

Blazin-saddles

watch would STW recommend for learning to play guitar?

Well, slash was spotted with a Rolex GMT master whilst playing a couple of years back.  😁

Dunno, Ed Sheeran and John Mayer seem to manage in just about anything you can imagine.

Kryton57

Rolex in the news.  Price increases due to the cost of Gold increase.  A gold Daytona now cost £38k…. 😧

boblo
    Free Member

Kryton57Full Member
    Rolex in the news.  Price increases due to the cost of Gold increase.  A gold Daytona now cost £38k

That’s all right, I only want the stainless one 🙃

IHN

Happy not new watch day to me. As I think I said before, my folks gave me a bit of money for my 50th, so I spent it on getting the watch I bought with the bit of money they gave me when I graduated, repaired.

Nothing enormously special, but I like it, and the repair cost pretty much twice as much as I paid for the watch in the first place, but that’s not the point, is it.

Anyway, I’m chuffed it’s back up and running. Twenty five years old and counting…

markup_1000007640

CountZero

I think I’m making a reasonable, if sarcastic, point. £260 for a rubber strap is, undeniably , taking the piss.

I wouldn’t argue with you on that point. I’m fine with a good, well-made stainless steel bracelet costing a fair bit, although the Breitling mesh-type bracelet is over £600, but absolutely not that sort of money for rubber. Not that I’d ever consider wearing a watch with one, I swapped the plastic straps my G-Shocks came with as soon as possible and put on the woven elastic ones, which only cost about £7-8.

Apple have just announced a Pride version, exactly the same as the one I’ve got on my yellow G-Shock CasiOak, only theirs is $44, not $11, which is what mine cost. 🤷🏼

Kryton57

I had the pleasure of sitting with an AD last night and try on my target GS Snowflake 3 hand spring drive, in Ti and Steel.

I came away with mixed feelings; the Ti so light is feels cheap, or rather it doesn’t feel expensive as the steel watch despite being £1.2k more, so the steel watch came away with honours there, but both are the same movement, and size etc.     On the plus side, both watches – at 40mm – fitted my wrist perfect from a visual and L-to-L perspective so it’s pleasing to know I don’t need to rule them out, and they have drilled lugs with which the AD said they’d throw in a GS leather strap for those dressier times.

I had the overwhelming feeling though that although I know of the efforts that go into a GS – ancient arts carried through which appeals to me as well as owning  Spring Drive movement – I’d spend a long time explaining to a  on enthusiastic which “it’s not a Seiko”. But hey, why does that matter, maybe I’m more of an attention seeker than I thought.     With that in mind I walked through Breitling on my way back and spent (another) few minutes with a Green Super Ocean Heritage and dismissed it – beautiful watch, but too blingy to the point I’d only ever wear in “safe spaces”, so what’s the point?

Interesting times, the GS perfect for work/the type of dress events I’d attend, but very much a sleeper to the outside world.  An as much as I wanted the snowflake dial, I’m wondering now whether a different colour – maybe a champagne – would feel better .   They had a baby blue dial, very nice but I’m cautious that colour is very much “of the times”.

ElShalimo

Interesting times, the GS perfect for work/the type of dress events I’d attend,

What the, who, how, qué??

Are you an after-dinner speaker delivering witty anecdotes about watch procrastination?

🙃😜🤔

nicko74

Really interesting post Kryton, and good to get your views on the Ti etc. I’d agree really – Ti is what I’d instinctively go for, but after trying it on it feels less substantial than the steel, and a bit toy-ish.

GS are perfect as the sleeper do anything watch. I prefer the Evolution 9 case myself, and if they actually put lume on their standard models (not just the divers etc) I’d be very tempted by a Spring Drive, something like a Lake Suwa

IvanDobski
    Free Member

However tiresome it might get explaining to none-watch people that the Grand Seiko isn’t “just” a Seiko, it’ll be worse having to admit to watch people that the Breitling is an actual Breitling. 😉

IHN

However tiresome it might get explaining to none-watch people that the Grand Seiko isn’t “just” a Seiko, it’ll be worse having to admit to watch people that the Breitling is an actual Breitling.

You think that’s bad, imagine how tiresome it is for the non-watch person who’s got some watch nerd explaining to them that the Grand Seiko isn’t “just” a Seiko, or that the Breitling is an actual Breitling 😉

Kryton57

lol.

I tried to explain Zaratsu polishing to my non watch nerd boss once, it wasn’t long before he glazed over…..

Nicko indeed, I went away feeling that more investigation and time with the AD is needed before I commit, and yes the lume!  I was wearing my cocktail time (the white/silver/blue one) and it was a stark reminder at midnight last night in the back of an uber that silver hands on a gloss white/silver/blue dial with no lume isn’t 100% useful :).        It does just the importance of wrist time with an AD though before committing as per Gaidong does so well.

The had a SLGA009 which I think is Spring Drive, but I didn’t try it on, next time.   £8.5k though 😬

boblo
    Free Member

it’ll be worse having to admit to watch people that the Breitling is an actual Breitling

Meoooowwww… 😁

I bought a Breitling as I was seduced by the advertising I walked past twice every day for 18 months – maybe. It is a Chronomat Evolution with a mother of pearl dial, gold accents and a loverly alligator strap (the bit I really like). The trouble is, I now think it’s a bit gauche,  a bit too gaudy. I’m more into straight stainless than fancy gold and this is just a bit too much now. Each to their own though.

nicko74

What’s the deal with discounts on GS? They’re not exactly flying off the shelves – and you could argue are definitely overpriced – so will ADs offer a discount; or is it a case of scouting around on Chrono24 and other marketplaces for decent deals?

When I was looking at them, I was very aware that they’re a watch that loses value as soon as you buy it. It’s obviously not necessarily a reason to buy or not buy, but compared to say a Rolex, it’s a consideration. Also a good demonstration that market value isn’t about features/ capabilities etc.

And the lume thing is really annoying; but GS fans claim that the silver hands pick up enough ambient light that you don’t need lume really…

johnners
    Free Member

It is a Chronomat Evolution with a mother of pearl dial, gold accents and a loverly alligator strap

Bit risky of Breitling to rip off an Invicta design so blatantly, they’ll be cross if they find out!

djflexure

I always fancied the Snowflake but was instantly underwhelmed when I finally tried one on. It seemed to wear a bit small, perhaps compounded by overall lightness. But I think the main factor was that it seemed dated rather than traditional. Perhaps a leather strap would have improved things, but I quickly moved on.

Kryton57

That’s a good point.   I didn’t get the emotional hit I expected yesterday.

In the interest of research I put the Ti Citizen back on – it’s the bracelets that are the issue, this on leather feels great and not cheap at all, but back on the bracelet, it does.

IMG_5641

Why oh why can’t we size the pics?

kilo

I have had a hankering for a GS for some time but there’s something about them that has stopped me getting one. I was going to use one as an everyday watch but they’re a lot of cash and I either use a  watch that is expendable if it’s proper rough or just stick with my old Rolex . GS seem to fall between two stools too nice for slumming it not nice enough for best. Last time I actually had the chance to buy one I ended up with a JLC, and now I’ve got my name on a waiting list for something good again it’s not a GS

Kryton57

Interesting point, when I put the cicitzen back on the facets glint very nicely, not GS and I can’t capture it in the photo’s which make me think….  Do I need a Gs 😂

#rabbitholes

boblo
    Free Member

Define ‘need’… 😬

gifferkev

Been wearing a snowflake on and off for the last 3 years, happen to have it on now. I get the ‘light so it feels cheap’, but you get used to it very quickly. yep, lack of lume can be an issue, but blimey does it catch the light if there’s even a hint of it. Springdrive appealed as I’m an engineer. it’s a unique movement and does need explaining, if you can be bothered. The dial is subtle, it’s almost too fine a texure to notice without getting close up. I think it earns it’s place in my collection, but if I was going to get another GS it would be a handwind with a coloured dial, just for the contrast.

ElShalimo

Grand Seiko fall into the if you know, you know category

They are lovely things

Kryton57

This appeals; simple, visible, elegant and spring drive.

SBGY007G  Grand Seiko.jpeg

ElShalimo

very nautical

johnners
    Free Member

This appeals; simple, visible, elegant and spring drive

I totally agree. And it remains all those things whether anybody else knows anything about zaratsu or what a good choice of watch you’ve made.

Kryton57

Imagine that awestruck person comparing it then to what I was actually wearing last night:

IMG_0056

e.g. my wife would say “I can’t tell the difference, it’s just a watch “ 🤦🤷‍♂️

ElShalimo

Is zeratsu what the polite Japanese person says after you sneeze?

johnners
    Free Member

Imagine that awestruck person comparing it then to what I was actually wearing last night:

You should get some leaflets printed up so you can hand them out to ordinary civilians to let them know what a good watch choice you’ve made. Or maybe make a YouTube video about it so you can send a link to anyone not appreciating your watch.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Kryton there are Seikos with zaratsu Ti cases and spring drive. They really go under the radar.  Cough .

Kryton57

Ha.

I think the think is when you spend that kind of money you want to be able to appreciate something about it.  So, feeling the weight of it, receiving the odd educated or uneducated comment, enjoying the looks, feel or whatever is important  – to me anyway.   I absolutely love wearing my SMP – every single time.  Echo’ing the comments above, the GS snowflake dial didnt jump out, the Ti watch felt unsubstantial, and the USP is as stealthy as they come to the uneducated.   I’ve wanted a Spring Drive for years now, so I’m feeling a bit deflated 🙁

For me at least, I would appreciate the Spring drive movement, but would prefer one of the other dials that bring a little more attention to the eye, and perhaps draw a conversation.   I don’t want to brag about it, but if it doesnt bring more appreciation from myself than a £500 Citizen then why spend 10x on it?   Those two watches above are quite similar from a distance and to the uneducated, but one is more than 10 x the price of the other.  YMMV of course…..

I guess I’m just a little disappointed that I wasn’t head over heels with the real thing in my hand, and I guess thats a sign.

nicko74

Honestly I think that’s the crux of the whole watch thing for me. Features are really important – ideally I want something with a 3+ day power reserve (to leave on the side at weekends), the accuracy of a spring drive, possibly a GMT function, display back and a case that fits my wrist and doesn’t feel too heavy.

But even more so than bikes, I realised (for me at least) that it’s got to have some wow factor – it’s got to be something that gives the “ooooh, nice” factor, some of which might be knowing that someone who knows might clock it and know it’s something special.

Which is why for me a Grand Seiko trumps a Rolex Explorer on every measure (apart from lume); but I ended up with an Explorer

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

@Kryton57, I have a GS, it’s a beautiful thing.  HOWEVER I’ve moved to a leather strap from the steel bracelet as the beautifully polished steel scuff very easily.  If I had my time again I think I’d have got a Ti version instead

neilnevill
    Free Member

Snr035.  Doesn’t wow though it has the rest.

Kryton57

So today are the disappointment witht the Snowflake dial, I moved my attention to the Shunbun / Cherry Blossom variant.   Teddy does a great overview here:

… but Britt Pearce agrees with my on wanting to “feel” the watch on wrist – again, it’s Ti.   I quite liked the Tan leather look you can see in Teddys video.   Universal accliam though for the dial a movement.  This could be a long journey (well, it will be a couple of years probably anyway)!

JAG

I absolutely love the spring drive mechanism – that alone is enough to have me wondering if/when I’ll be brave enough to spend that much money on a watch.

This Grand Seiko’s biggest problem, in my eyes only perhaps, is the aesthetic. The dial is beautiful. The rest of the watch is very sophisticated and stylish to look at but also very safe and ‘middle-of-the-road’ Very very Japanese Busnessman style.

Having said that – I do see a Grand Seiko in my future.

PS: does anyone else find Teddy Baldasarre an annoying and slightly pompous watch reviewer? I think it’s the language, he’s always using flowery phrases and saying twice or three times more than is necessary!

Viewing 40 posts - 8,801 through 8,840 (of 8,899 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.