Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 394 total)
  • Warning!! old school moan about the Olympic Xc
  • mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I seem to remember old school XC involvong lots of non technical slog around muddy fields , from what I’ve seen of the Hadliegh couse its considerable more tecnical with gap-jumps and rock gardens so its got to be much harder on the riders hence our boy with a broken ankle

big_n_daft
    Free Member

(newer) Manchester Midweek Madness are about. Entry level, grass roots, FUN, social events on what are basically inner city parks. The course does not have to be some rock infested tech fest, anything can be a racecourse and can be hard if you do it right

interesting, I heard a story that one of the courses has a drop that hospitalised two people last year

it was in the rider brief this year with an extra “be careful”, when questioned the organisers just said they had to keep it in to keep the more experienced riders happy. This year, one faller hospitalised.

hardly novice friendly…..

could all be hearsay tho……..

njee20
    Free Member

Hadleigh is tougher than any UK course I’ve raced certainly, but they’re not riding around a field either.

To be honest the vast majority of race courses are what I like to ride anyway (hence why I enjoy racing), a combination of fun singletrack, bit of a climbing, few technical features etc. Look at the popularity of the Surrey Hills/Swinley, I’d say most XC racing is very much like that.

interesting, I heard a story that one of the courses has a drop that hospitalised two people last year

People die racing on the road, doesn’t need to be technical for folk to get hurt. Martyn Salt told me that Sherwood always sees the most injuries, despite being the least technical. The speeds are higher, the margins for error smaller.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

hels – Member
    Changing the categories in XC comes up from time to time. Seems a bit like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, frankly. You would be better off fixing that big hole in the boat, or not steaming blindly towards it in the first place.

any idea’s are welcome, what are your idea’s for reviving XC racing?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

People die racing on the road, doesn’t need to be technical for folk to get hurt. Martyn Salt told me that Sherwood always sees the most injuries, despite being the least technical. The speeds are higher, the margins for error smaller.

which brings me back to my point

which for a series pitched at novices is odd

anyway could all be hearsay…..

brassneck

The trouble is in the first year of a new licence everyone would have a ‘starter’ licence (cat 4?!)

This would make XC racing (as all my riding I thought was xc of one sort or another) more attractive to me as it’d cause people to settle at the levels of their abilities but have options on working harder (or not) to progress as they could according to their current abilities. However, I would imagine that unless whoever handles the roadie licence system took it on it’d be a logistical nightmare to implement and the first few years would be difficult for competitors and organisers and might even cause a drop in participants which is the last thing needed :-/

PS – speaking as a fat middle aged middle class IT cyclist, I reckon we’re the best hope for the future of the sport – certainly all my children are riding and racing each other from an early age, and will probably race at some point in something (quite probably not even bikes) to see if it floats their boat.

njee20
    Free Member

which brings me back to my point

I think you’ve missed my point, short of riding on a bouncy castle dressed as the Michelin man you will likely get some injuries. A course can be suitable for novices but not a wild tech-fest. Doesn’t negate the risk of injury, irrespective of level.

Where the challenge lies is in building a course which is suitable for novices, but still fun/challenging for more experienced riders. Personally I think most races achieve this, and most racers I know would agree. Those who seem to be dissatisfied with what XC racing brings/involves seems to be those who are least involved in it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Where the challenge lies is in building a course which is suitable for novices, but still fun/challenging for more experienced riders. Personally I think most races achieve this, and most racers I know would agree.

why only one course? why compromise both novices and experienced riders “experience”? why put novices off with stuff that scares them whilst not putting in stuff to excite the more experienced?

Those who seem to be dissatisfied with what XC racing brings/involves seems to be those who are least involved in it.

😆

njee20
    Free Member

why only one course? why compromise both novices and experienced riders “experience”? why put novices off with stuff that scares them whilst not putting in stuff to excite the more experienced?

What do you mean? I meant ‘a’ course for a specific instance, I don’t think there should only be one XC course in the country 😕

Do you think there should be ‘beginner’ XC races and ‘expert’ races as totally separate instances? That would be wonderfully inclusive!

crikey
    Free Member

Seems like the problem boils down to people who have good technical ability don’t like the idea of being beaten by those with a good level of physical ability, and would like to see courses designed with that in mind…

..which is a major challenge for course designers, because the fit lads will be fit on the flat and on the ups right up to the point where the climbs become quicker to run, so your tech sections need to be so big or so techy that everyone without a full susser and a dropper post comes to a halt.

druidh
    Free Member

Or they could take up darts.

Euro
    Free Member

Those who seem to be dissatisfied with what XC racing brings/involves seems to be those who are least involved in it.

And there’s the rub.

You want fresh blood in the sport but are reluctant to change the model to make it more appealing* to newcomers.

*not sure what that would be, but some sort of ‘fun’ element could help.

Do you think there should be ‘beginner’ XC races and ‘expert’ races as totally separate instances? That would be wonderfully inclusive!

How about a standard course suitable for beginners with an extended ‘pro’ section. This would make the lap longer for the experienced racer and could contain suitably difficult technical bits.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Which course at Manchester MWM had a drop in that hospitalised people? I did two of the three courses last year and son’t remember anything like that. One of the courses was fairly flat with one very sharp climb twice each lap, the other was three decent sized climbs each lap. Both were really good fun to race on, both might have been a bit dull to just ride around.

That’s the point really, any course is great to race on, if you’re going as quick as you can round every corner etc it’s not going to get more technical than that. If you’re pottering around it’ll be dull.

There’s quite a few on here that clearly aren’t interested in pushing themselves physically, which is fine, but XC doesn’t need to change so that those people enjoy ‘doing’ a race too, there are plenty of things for those people to go and do. And they do, as you can see at Manchester Mid Week madness; Manchester Mountain Bikers has over 200 members, but only 3 or 4 are interested in things like Manchester MWM.

The issue isn’t the people riding mountain bikes in general, it’s the people not riding mountain bikes. There’s no reason why you should be interested in xc racing just because you own a mountain bike. As has been said earlier, it’s the road cycling drain that is taking most of the people that would want to race XC as it is away and the best ‘solution’ is to look at that rather than worrying about what the typical MTBer wants to do with their time.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

crikey

Seems like the problem boils down to people who have good technical ability don’t like the idea of being beaten by those with a good level of physical ability, and would like to see courses designed with that in mind…

..which is a major challenge for course designers, because the fit lads will be fit on the flat and on the ups right up to the point where the climbs become quicker to run, so your tech sections need to be so big or so techy that everyone without a full susser and a dropper post comes to a halt.

Good point. But I don’t think it’s just that technical riders can’t handle getting beaten by fitter riders, speaking personally it’s that technically good riders know they can’t win unless they dedicate all their time to training on the road.

bigdawg
    Free Member

why does everything boil down to how hard a course is…??

I quite often see some french dhing when I stay in the alps they have one course with different categories (full bounce – and its assoc levels, front suspension and rigid- yep rigid..)

Are they dumbed down boring courses…well last time I was the Anne Caroline and Nicolas Vouilloz turned up to race… Not the megaavalanche, grand raid, just a three minute downhill course.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have to say, as an occasional XC racer, that road racing is probably a ‘better’ sport. MTB racing involves riding as hard as you can and seeing if you are faster. I have a feeling that road racing is far more interesting!

njee20
    Free Member

You want fresh blood in the sport but are reluctant to change the model to make it more appealing* to newcomers.

*not sure what that would be, but some sort of ‘fun’ element could help.

But I don’t think the sport is struggling, and I don’t think the folk who want vastly more technical courses are the ones that need to be encouraged, I think novices and folk who find the idea of racing daunting to be a bigger untapped resource. Ie normal riders. I think the sort of people who are represented here (Juan for example) are not what the sport needs, I suspect if all races were designed to his spec we’d see numbers plummet, and certainly not entice new riders.

How many threads do you see for “I want to try racing, but I’m new to riding and don’t know how to get into it” compared to “I want to try racing, but think it will be far too easy, what’s the toughest race there is”?

How about a standard course suitable for beginners with an extended ‘pro’ section. This would make the lap longer for the experienced racer and could contain suitably difficult technical bits.

Why though? Again, I don’t think the racers have an issue, it’s those who don’t race that do. Whether justified or not. Start splitting out the course and you get into logistical headaches and deviation from UCI regs, which in turn makes it far less likely we will succeed on a global stage as we won’t get UCI points in domestic races and encourage the foreign racers over giving our top elites folk to race.

njee20
    Free Member

But I don’t think it’s just that technical riders can’t handle getting beaten by fitter riders, speaking personally it’s that technically good riders know they can’t win unless they dedicate all their time to training on the road.

But if you want technical skill to rule entirely over fitness surely you race DH or enduro? The inherent nature of XC is that it favours fitness over skill. That’s not to say you can’t succeed without both, but changing that balance fundamentally changes what it is.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

..But if you want technical skill to rule entirely over fitness surely you race DH or enduro? The inherent nature of XC is that it favours fitness over skill. That’s not to say you can’t succeed without both, but changing that balance fundamentally changes what it is.

I wouldn’t want technical skill to rule entirely over fitness, that’s swinging wildly the opposite way, and if that’s what you think I am saying then I am not conveying my point well. Look at the megavalance – mass start, shoulder to shoulder racing. A huge test of fitness and skill and ultimately only extremely fit riders win. Extreme, extreme analogy I know.

Speaking to a lot of my mates who still race xc, they consciously avoid the less technical tracks as they just get blown away by guys who spend most of their bike time on the road. Now, these are not fat knackers, they are fitter than you, you and you. But they see no point racing around fields and flat tracks. And nor do I.

You don’t have to fundamentally change it, but everything can be improved. Nothing is perfect. If it was perfect XC would have the cache of the TDF, the public awareness of F1 and rider wages to rival the premiership. I suppose that might get me on the turbo.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

And there’s the rub.

I think people are arguing about 2 different things.

The non XC riders are on about making XC more accessible to all/more gnar riders.

The XC riders are on about minor tweaks and mainly advertising I think ! Ie getting the message out to other people (espeically youngsters) who will enjoy this sort of riding, people who might be doing triathlons, running, road racing etc ..

Personally I dont want to change the event to attract people who are nt really into the physical “race” format.

Although I do like the idea of having a longer lap with more technical features for the upper categories rather than just more laps.

molgrips
    Free Member

Problem is, it’s hard enough to get enough decent trails in a normal XC course.

Personally I would like shorter faster races on wider courses. Say half a mile or a mile or so.

It’d be MUCH more fun than 90 mins of solitary agony. Courses could be planned to create tactical options too, much like tour stages.

njee20
    Free Member

Although I do like the idea of having a longer lap with more technical features for the upper categories rather than just more laps.

Sadly the UCI disagrees and is pushing for shorter laps and races!

Speaking to a lot of my mates who still race xc, they consciously avoid the less technical tracks as they just get blown away by guys who spend most of their bike time on the road. Now, these are not fat knackers, they are fitter than you, you and you. But they see no point racing around fields and flat tracks. And nor do I.

I think I know what you’re saying! Out of interest what courses do they consciously avoid? And which category?

molgrips
    Free Member

Where are these less technical courses? I’ve never raced on a flat field.

njee20
    Free Member

No need to be so facetious, it’s relative, there are less technical courses like Sherwood and Thetford, no one’s mentioned fields. If they’re actively avoiding certain courses I’m sure it’s not baseless.

I think the level is relevant too. In open (for example) you get some fit riders who are basically roadies who really will excel on a course like that. In elite you rarely get any real shocks, the racing will be closer, which can mean people being nearer the front, but it’s fairly uncommon for someone to win at Sherwood who isn’t in the top 10 normally. For example.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Why though? Again, I don’t think the racers have an issue, it’s those who don’t race that do.

I think the problem is getting those that don’t to do. There are lots more people not racing who would if encouraged into it. XC racing has an ageing participant profile, nothing wrong with older riders but there are very few kids actually racing XC, that’s what I think is an issue.

Whether justified or not. Start splitting out the course and you get into logistical headaches and deviation from UCI regs, which in turn makes it far less likely we will succeed on a global stage as we won’t get UCI points in domestic races and encourage the foreign racers over giving our top elites folk to race

comparing the a UCI ranked race to a grass roots fish and chipper?

even BC disagree with you

10.4 Authorised Technical Assistance (TA)
    10.4.1 Technical assistance during a Cross Country or Marathon/Endurance race will be permitted in National Championships, and National Series rounds, subject to the following conditions.
    Other than in exceptional circumstances, and entirely at the discretion of the organiser and Chief Commissaire, technical assistance at other domestic cross country races will not be permitted.

for local racing it’s the quality of the organisation, the thought in the course design and the atmosphere that matter

trying to emulate a UCI ranked event is the last thing you worry about

Start splitting out the course and you get into logistical headaches and deviation from UCI regs

why? you are supposed to have loads of marshals to ensure

10.5.2.2 All marshals must ideally have line of sight with each other and carry whistles which will be blown with a short sharp blast as the next rider approaches.

why not have marshalled course splits?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Personally I would like shorter faster races on wider courses. Say half a mile or a mile or so.

that’s the new XC eliminator format 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I did XC eliminator at BBB – it was fantastic!

njee I wasn’t being facetious – someone up there mentioned flat fields, which is an annoying stereotype, so I commented.

njee20
    Free Member

XC racing has an ageing participant profile, nothing wrong with older riders but there are very few kids actually racing XC, that’s what I think is an issue.

Far more than when I was in my teens, 8-9-10 years ago.

comparing the a UCI ranked race to a grass roots fish and chipper?

Sorry, didn’t realise we were only talking local races, assumed you just meant as a whole, was just pointing that this thread started on the basis that we don’t have any good XC racers, and that doing things which would mean fewer international riders and fewer UCI points would only worsen that ‘issue’ – whether or not you perceive it to be one is something else!

Euro
    Free Member

Why though? Again, I don’t think the racers have an issue, it’s those who don’t race that do. Whether justified or not.

But the current xc racers don’t seem to be able to compete at world level. There is probably many reason for that, but if you widen the talent pool and try to make it appealing to anyone who rides (4x, bmx, dh and all the other splinter cells) there’s a better chance of finding the next {insert the best xcer in the world]. There are plenty of talented riders about – but they just don’t do xc.

Sadly the UCI disagrees and is pushing for shorter laps and races!

How does what the UCI want prohibit changing the format in the UK to attract more/better riders?

Make it fun first, get them hooked then introduce them to the world of red tape and hoop jumping. By then they’ll have the fitness and skills to compete – no matter how long the laps/races are.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

It’d be MUCH more fun than 90 mins of solitary agony. Courses could be planned to create tactical options too, much like tour stages.

I agree the best races are when you are actually racing against people rather than just trying to time trial.

But I think alot of the problems here lie with the categories not the course (although a shorter a course would bunch things up).

Whats the point of having some fast/slow people in open and some fast/slow people in masters.

Why not have the slow people in one race and the faster people in another race.

A shorter course would also make the start even more important would have to be very wide to make sure a bunch or a crash didnt totally decide the race.

I remember one gorrick at swinley, I was nt in great condition but the race was packed over 100 people. I managed to get a good start then I heard someone crashed just behind me on the first bend ! Held everyone else up. I got a decent results (by my standards) because alot of good riders behind were trapped.

RealMan
    Free Member

I wonder what Emily thinks about all this.

chakaping
    Free Member

Whats the point of having some fast/slow people in open and some fast/slow people in masters.

Becuase more fast people can win that way?

I agree with you FWIW, always found the profusion of categories a deterrant to racing XC.

IainGillam
    Free Member

What is fun to ride and what is fun to race differ dramatically IMO, I personally don’t want a really techy, narrow course with long laps for racing or watching. I want short laps with opportunity for passing, which I think is why the Olympics worked well (seems to have been well received outside of STW circles…) As for the tech nature, the more “gnar” the slower the average speeds and the closer it is to a running speed so the more people getting off for a bit of a jog. You must have all experienced the narrow climb at the start of a race whereby the whole field is held up by one person getting off. A few “do or die” style lines to allow passing would be grand though, in a similar vein to the corner in the Olympics where all the riders went left round the berm and a few took a straighter line and hopped the rocks.

I think aligning it with the road and track systems is a great idea and I think lots of people who already race road could be tempted over. I’d like to see races split into 3/4’s or E123’s etc so you don’t have the problem of only 15 people in Elite. And to make up for the lack of prizes maybe a climbing competition or sprint primes which would be easy to do with timing chips.

Edit: I don’t think looking to 4X, BMX, DH etc will yield top level XC racers (let BC nick them for the track…), I think looking to road and track will.

Iain

molgrips
    Free Member

But I think alot of the problems here lie with the categories

Yeah, the categories are a disaster. But then you are back onto compulsory licensing, aren’t you?

juan
    Free Member

I think the sort of people who are represented here (Juan for example) are not what the sport needs, I suspect if all races were designed to his spec we’d see numbers plummet, and certainly not entice new riders.

You’ll find I am the least representative people on here… But I like the idea of designing a course (btw I did one race I liked in the UK and it was not in England).

I did XC eliminator at BBB – it was fantastic!

I did too, so maybe we even bump into each other. Actually I liked it, but I think people who “walk/pushed” on the bunny hop section should have had some penalties.
    And to be fair the XC race at the BBB around a loop around a field. A long funny one, but a loop around a field nonetheless.

But if you want technical skill to rule entirely over fitness surely you race DH or enduro?

Well first you’re missing the point. I don’t want XC races to be CX races. You should read jenn’s article about her trip to France. An XC race can be very demanding physically, but can and IMHO should be hard enough technically so that it still is MOUNTAIN bike. The problem here lies in the fact that most XC racers on here have no experience outside the gorrick series level of technicality. I have seen that on my first race in the UK. And to be honest with you njee, I am not sure your typical XC racer is fit enough to sustain a whole enduro (as you admitted yourself).

njee20
    Free Member

I got a decent results (by my standards) because alot of good riders behind were trapped.

That’s racing, if they were that decent they should have been at the front 🙂

How does what the UCI want prohibit changing the format in the UK to attract more/better riders?

Because, like I said, this thread started as a moan that the UK doesn’t have any decent XC racers on the world stage. There are myriad reasons for this, but it’s an absolute fact that if we had more UCI races we’d have had 2 riders yesterday, which is a start.

If you start a new version of the sport to encourage people in, then say “right, now we’ve got you hooked try this, it’s what we really need you to do” that’s less productive than trying to nurture what we already have. It’ll also mean that we don’t get so many foreign guys coming over for the few UCI ranked races we do have etc etc.

I’m not talking about encouraging people in full stop or at a grass roots level, I’m talking about success on a global level. I think it’s two separate things.

molgrips
    Free Member

And to be fair the XC race at the BBB around a loop around a field.

I only remember woody singletrack on the long XC course.

What do people think about the ‘no racing on PROW’ thing that means we can’t make mountain marathons CRC style into actual races?

njee20
    Free Member

Making races longer doesn’t make them more exciting. I’d not be any more inclined to enter them if they were actually competitive. Personally.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The problem here lies in the fact that most XC racers on here have no experience outside the gorrick series level of technicality

I dont think this is true, but riding more technical terrain is different from racing on it.

Also the level of race scene seems to inversely proportional to the level of technicality in an area. For instance thetford in Norfork average riding at best has quite a thriving XC race scene especially considering the small population there. Probably to make the cycling more fun !

I would nt want to race on a type of terrain that I could nt regularly practise seeing as alot of the races are likely to be in the south were is there magical technical terrain going to come from ?

crikey
    Free Member

I’d just like to chip in and say that CX and XC seem to be regarded as some kind of laboratory testing where the guy with the biggest VO2 max will always win. There’s actually a lot of skill and technique involved in both races, despite the lack of styling it up over the table tops, and the quicker you go, the more skillful you need to be.

The top riders in both sports are not just those who do most hours on a road bike or on a turbo, they are also the best in terms of bikehandling and skill too.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 394 total)

The topic ‘Warning!! old school moan about the Olympic Xc’ is closed to new replies.