Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Warner back for live DH commentary…
  • weeksy

OK so it’s a bit clickbait 😉

It’s also a Pinkbike article… sorry

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/rotorua-to-kick-off-in-march-with-live-dh-broadcast-from-whakarewarewa-and-ttokorangi-forests.html

But Crankworks will be live on Redbull TV…. so possible the return of Warner as the commentary team ? Mmmmm maybe 😀

It’s going to be some daft o’clock start times though that’s for sure.

Trimix
    Free Member

Anyone know how we can watch the DH and XCO stuff this year – now that Red Bull are not showing it ?

weeksy

Anyone know how we can watch the DH and XCO stuff this year – now that Red Bull are not showing it ?

No announcements as of yet… plenty of speculation though.

ayjaydoubleyou

I hope crankworx step up their camera work, I’ve never been able to get exited about the DH there, you miss so much of the track

a11y

WC DH season doesn’t start until 9th June (WTF) so plenty of time for speculation to continue!

weeksy

I hope crankworx step up their camera work, I’ve never been able to get exited about the DH there, you miss so much of the track

Redbull must have a load of cameras/crew doing nothing now 😀 So heck, it should be better now.

monkeyboyjc

I thought Discovery had bought the rights to cycling? Gmbn are going to be at WC races this year, their owned by discovery…..

weeksy

I thought Discovery had bought the rights to cycling?

They have, but they’ve not announced how/where/when/cost of viewing yet, it may be subscription, may be Eurosport, may be a discover channel, app, who knows…

frogstomp

I thought Discovery had bought the rights to cycling? Gmbn are going to be at WC races this year, their owned by discovery…..

Sounds that way.. but no details on whether it’ll be broadcast on any or all of Discovery+, GCN+ or Eurosport (all Discovery media outlets).

sharkattack

Crankworx coverage has always been pretty terrible but hopefully they now have the spare resources to improve it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Crankworx and the IXS Cup become a lot more high profile especially if the UCI DH disappears behind a paywall.

a11y

may be a discover channel

Thanks – I’ve now got Bloodhound Gang lyrics stuck in my head.

Please please please Discovery don’t **** up DH coverage – it’s the only sport I watch…

Speeder

The thought of GCN coving DH fills me with dread.

I’m hoping for the best with this restructuring of the sport and it’s coverage but it’s not looking good so far.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

The DH will be a subscription via discovery and all the pre and post information will be done via GMBN which is just an awful channel with awful presenters

chevychase

I don’t think they’re awful – but they’re a lot more “family friendly” – which’d turn the DH world cup into a boring cheesefest.

Speeder

No Chevy, they’re awful. It’s total clickbait media.

MSP

The thought of GCN coving DH fills me with dread.

They would probably be better than GMBN though, who seem to think that gurning is an acceptable replacement for personality.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is Martyn Ashton still at GMBN? He would be good at covering DH.

Wonder if they’re trialing him for commentary even? He is one of a very few people with the potential to be a worthy successor to Warner IMO.

But yeah, the channel generally is not for ‘core riders.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I hate it how people ruin sports with shit publicity.
    Both my girls play rugby and womens rugby is often shown on iplayer and via the premier 15s website, but they make it so diffcult to find.
    Eg Sarries went to Devon to play the Chiefs on Sat, it was on iplayer red button KO at 3pm. At 230pm it showed up nowhere on iplayer search, no publicity, nothing. However from experience I knew that if you had bbc1 on at about 3pm and kept checking the red button it would just appear.
    Even now if you search in iplayer for the replay you cannot find it with any single word, or combination of the words “women, rugby, Saracens, Exeter.” I found it by typing in premier 15s. Which is the name of the league, not everyone knows that.
    Someone at bbc needs a kick.

With MTB its just the same, we knew the womens rampage was on last year, did red bull televise it or have any coverage? Nope.
    And now it seems discovery are going to kill the WCDH. We love it, we want to plan when we watch etc etc.
    Marketing people need a royal kick. I will happily do it.

Rant over.

razorrazoo

Redbull must have a load of cameras/crew doing nothing now

I dare say that most are contractors so probably very few people sat around twiddling thumbs.

chakaping
    Free Member

I dare say that most are contractors so probably very few people sat around twiddling thumbs.

Yeah, same teams will most-likely be working for Discovery to film the racing this year.

Red Bull will have had their own people/freelancers working on the introduction, the interviews and that kind of stuff though.

Speeder

MSP
    They would probably be better than GMBN though, who seem to think that gurning is an acceptable replacement for personality.

I used GCN as a blanket all type term for any of those Global XX channels. they’re all very similar, schedule heavy and content light.

chakaping
    Is Martyn Ashton still at GMBN? He would be good at covering DH.

Not based on what I’ve seen of him on GMBN he’s not but then I do tend to avoid it if at all possible. The studio stuff is especially painful.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not based on what I’ve seen of him on GMBN he’s not but then I do tend to avoid it if at all possible. The studio stuff is especially painful.

They did a regular podcast a while ago, which he hosted. He came across as a knowledgeable and enthusiastic fan, and he’s a genuinely funny guy.

MSP

I find him to stray into “children television presenter” mode far too often. Warner can eb a bit “laddish” but at least I feel that the conversation is aimed at adults not toddlers.

chakaping
    Free Member

I find him to stray into “children television presenter” mode far too often.

Haha, I can see that now you say it.

But based on seeing him compere the Kendal Bike Night as well, I’d say his presenting style is flexible enough to adapt to a new audience.

Speeder

I very much expect the Discovery version of WCDH to be very much dumbed down and sanitised compared to RBTV very much like Warner had to reign it in to cross over from Freecaster (watch some on Youtube if you can’t remember) so I don’t expect it would be much up from “toddler level” (sums up my thoughts exactly).

oikeith

For those that have Sky, I had an email from Sky offering Discovery+ for free as long as I’m a sky customer, signed up and app logged into via Sky Q, can see live sport on the app such as tennis and road cycling, I expect DH to appear on the app when it comes back.

dirkdestijl
    Free Member

Confirmed MTB coverage for UK and many other regions to be on GCN plus (Not GMBN) and Eurosport Apps
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/uci-and-warner-bros-discovery-announce-viewing-options-and-new-world-series-branding-for-2023-world-cups.html

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.