Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wall anchor/ large chain to run through 2 x frames recommendations?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Planning to hang 2 x bikes on the wall.
    Need a good solid wall anchor and then a decent long chain to run through the whole lot – any thoughts?

Don’t want to spend loads but sensible amount.

stumpyjon

Don’t want to spend loads but sensible amount.

Not happening, spend enough to act as a decent deterrent and the rest on insurance, couple of ground anchors bolted to the wall and some reasonable cables / chains, enough to assure your insurance you’ve made the requisite effort. If the scum bags want your bikes they will be gone.

bails
    ElShalimo

@bails is right

We’ve got pragmasis in our garage. Just phone them and tell them what you need and they’ll advise accordingly. Not cheap but great kit.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

pragmasis in our garage. Just phone them and tell them what you need and they’ll advise accordingly. Not cheap but great kit.

Agreed, but add on a half metre to what they recommend.

Superficial
    Free Member

Mini thread hijack:

Are there any special considerations putting a ground anchor in a wall? I don’t imagine so but want to check. It’s a breeze block wall with no access to the other side except via someone else’s garage.

devbrix
    Free Member

My Kryptonite Stronghold came with drill bit and all the right fixings. No need for access from the other side. Drill, plug, screw in bolts with an Allen key and then hammer in ball bearings in to the heads of the bolts which stops them being unscrewed. I installed mine on a stone wall. Straight forward.

jimdubleyou

Are there any special considerations putting a ground anchor in a wall?

If you get the pragmasis big one, there are specific instructions about blocks from floor, blocks above and gap to corners – basically so you don’t split your blocks.

cookeaa

Are there any special considerations putting a ground anchor in a wall? I don’t imagine so but want to check. It’s a breeze block wall with no access to the other side except via someone else’s garage.

What’s the weakest point of the setup?
    From your brief description I’d imaging it’s not the anchor, or the chain but the breeze block, especially if you’re using an expanding anchor.

The easiest attack would be to put a bar through the anchor, apply leverage and try to get the bolts to crack out of the block (bear in mind they’re probably not too fussed about damage to your property).
    Withstand might be improved if you used a resin anchor (someone else more knowledgeable will probably pipe up) but if you can anchor into a concrete slab (such as the floor?) It makes plain old leverage a less viable attack…

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d just make sure your insurance covers them without chains/being locked up and save yourself the hassle/money. I spent about £400 on a decent chain, padlock and ground anchor a few years back – soon got fed up of threading it through 3 bikes all the time (and having to be super careful not to chip paint). It’s been gathering dust ever since as my insurance covers them just being in a locked garage.

Sure a chain/anchor might act as a deterrent in some cases but in others having a chain on might just mean the frame getting cut as ‘professional’ thieves want the bike for the components.

footflaps

Anyone intent on taking the bikes will have an 18v grinder with them, which will cut through any chain effortlessly. All you’re doing with ground anchors / chains is satisfying insurance criteria / deterring opportunists, who weren’t looking for bikes.

sirromj

I wouldn’t have thought an insurance policy deters opportunists though, so surely it makes sense to have a chain/anchor to do that. 2m 13mm chain from Pragmasis + lock + anchor < £200.

intheborders
    Free Member

It’s a breeze block wall with no access to the other side except via someone else’s garage.

Easy enough to cut through a breeze block – a pal lost his Ducati this way, and they scratched the bonnet-roof-boot as they pulled it over his car…

Ground anchor into concrete and then buy motorcycle spec security chains IMO

Superficial
    Free Member

All my bikes are insured, but that’s scant consolation if the 2021 bike shortage means there are none available to buy.

Which is why this year my garage has an alarm and my bikes are locked inside. Obviously it’s not perfect but it’s an improvement.

grantyboy
    Free Member

Almax chains, again not cheap. But cheaper than stolen bikes and trying to source a replacments in the current climate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wall anchor/ large chain to run through 2 x frames recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.