Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Wall anchor and long lock to run through 2 x frames?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Looking for recommendations for a good wall anchor and a long chain lock to run through the anchor and then 2 x frames hung on wall.

Don’t want to spend loads, sensible amount for decent piece of mind.

susepic

Anything these guys sell will do the trick. I have two shed shackles for my wooden shed and a couple of long chains and padlocks with matched keys.
    https://securityforbikes.com/products.php?cat=Chains+%28without+padlocks%29

edward2000
    Free Member

I use two of the kryptonite 912 combination locks locked together, so double the length. Sold secure gold rated also.

Northwind

Those kryptonites are fine for satisfying insurance and deterring total opportunists/amateurs/kids but any bike thief with half a clue will break the chain about as fast as you can put in the combination. Sold Secure Gold’s an intentionally toothless standard and only good for insurance purposes, it’s not a useful gauge of lock strength, by design. TBF it’s not much more than a scam.

Second the recomendation for Securityforbikes, their Roundlock padlock in particular is absolutely brilliant- usually good padlocks are super expensive, these wee things are awesome value but also the design just naturally makes them immensely strong, better than any padlock,. A good d-lock can also double as a chain lock so you can lock wheels or forks, or 2 frames together.

Squire and Almax also do chains to count on. Probably others now but I’m a little out of date. 16mm and upwards adds tons of extra protection, any good 16mm chain will be effectively cropper proof but they’re also physically too large for some attacks. Anything can be cut with a grinder at the end of the day but bulk counts there too, and a 16mm chain has almost twice the cross-section as a 12mm chain.

I won’t say what I’ve got, for obvious reasons but, one thing is that we’re used to thinking about loops, and loops of chain get seriously expensive. But actually for multiple bikes, a single length of chain anchored at one end, with good d-locks through it, can be just as good. Arguably better since you’ve not got the single point of failure (Break a link or the lock on a loop of chain and all the security’s gone for all the bikes, break a link or a single lock on the length-with-d-locks and you’ve either got just one bike, or a bunch of bikes still locked together and way harder to handle) It’s easier to handle the chain, too.

I can’t vouch for the DIB padlock but it looks good, and good value. Onguard’s Brute is an excellent and very cheap lock, as long as you can keep it dry (you’ll often see it do badly in group tests but mostly because it’s got bad weatherproofing and a really terrible bike mount, neither of which matter indoors, but it is a massive chunk of metal with a decent lock that can be had for £26, pretty awesome)

Oh yeah- got an alarm? Get one. If expense or wiring or whatever is a problem, don’t get a regular shed alarm with the alarm box built in, they’re absolutely useless. (thief hears alarm, finds alarm, smashes alarm, in 2 seconds flat). Waste of money and also kind of inconvenient. But also don’t put off thinking you have to spend a fortune on a top end set up, or that it’s hard to set up etc… These or something like them are absolutely amazing, for the money, and frankly anyone that doesn’t have an alarm should probably just get a couple:

You can slave multiple senders to a single alarm unit. You can also slave multiple alarms to a single or multiple senders. So you can have fantastic coverage with no single easy to destroy weak spot/single point of battery failure. The alarm unit itself goes in the house- it’s all completely wireless- so instead of just telling the thief that there’s an alarm like a normal shed alarm, it tells you there’s something going on <but not necessarily the thief>. This is how we nearly caught the last person that had a go. You turn it on and off at the alarm unit not the sender so again, that’s in the house. The range is decent enough, maybe not for “garage at the bottom of the garden” or “lockup at the end of the street” but it goes through walls etc no bother. Only criticism I have is occasional false alarms but not too often. They are just a very good, dirt cheap extra bit of security that you can throw up in 2 minutes.

Lastly, sorry, I really like my Blink cameras. Probably others can do the same job? The push alerts for phone are awesome, and being able to just have a look at what’s going on at any time is lovely. Hear a weird noise in the middle of the night? The cameras themselves aren’t the best, I ended up rejecting the one I got for outside and got a refund, but indoors they sit quietly in the garage, records stuff to the cloud, telling me what’s going on… Lovely. So much peace of mind. You do need power for the wireless box and ideally you want to wire up the camera too as otherwise the battery doesn’t last too well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Wall anchor and long lock to run through 2 x frames?’ is closed to new replies.