Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Walks on Skye
  • rascal
    Free Member

Staying there in May and doing a bit of planning/list making now.
    Going in the van and mixing responsible ‘wild’ stops with campsites to go us some scope for freedom.
    Looking at Blaven from the Torrin side as it looks more interesting than the other side.
    We hope to stay at Glenbrittle campsite, and there are a few paths that head up onto the Cuillin Ridge – one onto Sgurr Alasdair – looks ok on Google Maps but I suspect it’s more problematic than that! Anyone done this or an easier challenge onto the ridge from that side? Brauch na Frith is meant to be doable without superhuman mountain skillz but trek from Sligachan (staying there too) looks long.

Also on my list of contenders is Buachaille Etive Mor up the corrie – def not Curved Ridge, that or Bidean though this looks a big day out and potentially more tricky and hazardous especially if weather not great. Will be in Glencoe for a day or two so would like to do one if poss.
    The Ring of Steall looks great but a big day. Am looking at either Beinn Alligin in Torridon or the more daunting Liathach. Having initially thought ‘there’s no way I could do that’ or have come round to the idea of giving it a go. It’s a Grade 2 scramble which I’ve never done but this is apparently due to the exposure rather than the technicality. Done Tryfan north ridge, Jacks Rake, Striding, Sharp and Grib Goch but this looks another level. Watched lots of Youtube and read reports and it seems ok but still undecided – the wife doesn’t want me to do it! I guess there could still be some snow around in May too which could put a different complexion on things…

I’m up there for 12 days so would like to do 2 walking days with a decent gap in between….Glencoe, Fort Bill, Skye and Torridon in that order is the plan. Any tips folks?

perchypanther
    Free Member

^^^^ Look! Skye Walker!

mrb123
    Free Member

Liathach will be fine for you bearing in mind what you’ve done before. It isn’t all that difficult and virtually all of the tricky bits are bypassable (assuming no snow of course).

juanking

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/

Walkhighlands is a good source of info for Scottish hill walking.

johnx2
    Free Member

Buachaille via the corrie is an easy walk which I’ve done with my not very outdoorsy wife. Bit of a plod in the middle but rewarded by fantastic views over Ranoch moor. (My wife’s far more observant than me – in the corrie “are those big red animals red dear?”. I scan horizon and distant hillside: “what animals?” She points to a group of red dear less than 50m away “those ones!”

However, given the scrambles you list having done, wouldn’t Aonarch Eagach on the other side be more of the classic scramble to go for? Busy on a nice day, but for a reason.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Sgurr Nan Gillean by the standard route was a good one, I seem to recall.
    I recall Sgurr Alisdair is problematic. From glen Brittle campsite we did sgurr Mhic Choinnich and Inn Pin. Then on another day sron na ciche, bypass Alasdair and the 2 southern chain of munros (dubh mor and nan eag).

Curved Ridge on BEM isn’t that big a deal, just need to be sure of route finding right at start and towards the end, but I don’t recall the route itself being that difficult or exposed.
    Also Aonach eagach isn’t that big a deal technically, just you have to be sure of your route off (much easier with modern devices). For Bidean nan bian, I’d go via Stob coire nan Lochan

we failed miserably on Ring of Steall, was full winter conditions tho.

horns of Alligin is good as is Liathach (my first winter route).

brads
    Free Member

Best walk on Skye is the one back across the bridge to the mainland.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

^^^^ Look! Skye Walker!

Very good, very good. Even better with local accent.

tillydog
    Free Member

Was also going to suggest Sgurr Nan Gillian from the pub (the “Tourist Route”?).

If I remember rightly, the path up Sgurr Alasdair from Glenbrittle is up ‘the great stone shoot’ – i.e. a bit of a slog up steep scree. Dim memories, but I think there’s a more pleasant path to the last peak on the ridge.

Have very fond memories of an afternoon around Loch Coruisk. The boat trip from Elgol was very good, but ISTR there’s a path from Sligachan (never walked it though).

scotroutes

Torridon: I much prefer Alligin to Liathach. The latter reminds me of waking in a quarry. Beinn Eighe is the best, though a complete traverse of the ridge is problematic logistically.

Skye: It’s possible to do Alasdair from the Coir’ a’ Ghrunnda side and descend the chute. There’s one tricky chimney to climb just before the summit. (easy to take in  Sgurr Dubh Mor on the way). In the corrie, find the ledge on the left (North) side to avoid a lot of unnecessary scrambling up to the ridge.

Bruach na Frithe was my final Munro I saved it as it is a straight forward route and I had plans to do it with a wee crowd of friends. As it turned out, I did it in January while being filmed for Japanese TV. 😜

Oblongbob

Cuillin can be pretty intimidating when you get of the real tourist routes. If you are worried about curved ridge then much of the cuillin would be full on. Curved ridge is very doable on a nice day if you can find it – as mentioned above route finding at bottom is the main challenge; one trickyish step that cant be avoided but not too exposed so feels less daunting. Crowberry tower can be avoided easily. BnF is pretty straightforward – think I did after pinnacle ridge on SnG and am basteir, which was pretty epic. Blaven tourist route is also straightforward (clach ghlas to blaven traverse is spectacular, one of the best mountain days I’ve had, if you ever fancy a trickier scramble). Sgurr Alasdair is quite scrambly unless you go up the chute, which would be a grim hike up, I’ve only descended it when rained off the ridge, which was grim. Just heading into the Corries and exploring can be a great day out. Liathach you can bypass much of the trickier stuff, so from what you’ve done it sounds like you’ll be fine – hardest bit for me is the descent from the first Munro on nasty quartzite. Alligin is a lovely walk, do via the horns first then round and down the big Corrie. Nice wee scrabble up to horns, which you can bypass or take the trickiest route depending on preference. Bidean is pretty straightforward by the main route. Ring of steal is a great day. I’d also think about CMD arête if you that way.

chickenman

Sgurr na Banachdich is possibly the easiest one if you follow the sneaky route that goes up via the next coire to the north Coir an Eich (in the SMC Munro book and Walkhighlands site). Sgurr Alasdair over Sron na Ciche has a exposed long scrambly wall that is probably Diff standard climbing.
    Curved Ridge is easy and follows the base of the impressive raw meat coloured E facing wall (the Rannoch Wall). Descent off the Aonach Eagach after the second Munro summit is a pain in the arse, shame as the route up is great, the ridge has very positive holds and there is real exposure in places.

zippykona

PICTURES!

CountZero

Look! Skye Walker!

🤟🏼 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

mrb123
    Free Member

Re the Aonach Eagach, a much more pleasant descent is to continue along to the Pap of Glencoe and then down to Glencoe village from there.

dms01

Read the SMC guide
    On Skye the routes are much less obvious – the rock is fragmented and you require a higher level of navigation skill – especially as the compass isn’t always reliable. It’s the pinnacle of U.K. mountaineering and a step up from lakes or rest of Scotland.
    I also take a helmet if climbing / descending any of the stone shoots / screes.
    The are also guides you can hire….

chickenman

Chickenman Junior did the Laggan circuit including the Inaccessible Pinnacle aged 9 and the Pinnacle Ridge on Gillian and Am Basteir aged 10 (pictured in the SMC Climbers Guide to Skye). Not with a hired guide, just a (not very) responsible adult (his dad). However, on a recent return visit I was surprised just how full on the scrambling on the ridge is even on peaks like Sgurr Dubh Mor. Basically the hardest bits on the Aonach Eagach wouldn’t even get a mention if located on the Cuillin!
    I’d post pics but I simply can’t get it to work on here.

scotroutes

The SMC Skye Scrambles book is excellent. Well worth buying and carrying with you.

On the way to Sgurr na Banachdich on a pretty typical Cuillin day

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5XaudP]2003_0608_163710AA[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

zinaru
    Free Member

stating the obvious, weather is always a bit issue with any of these routes even in may. as far as skye goes, the main cuillin ridge can be a tricky place. ive been a few times were weather conditions have suggested its not the best idea to head there. glamaig and marsco are both great vantage point thought if you have a few hours just to get a proper look at the black cuillin up close.

glencoe – the walk up to the lost valley is pretty cool, again you can see how you feel before deciding to continue on to bidean. similarly in torridon the walk round to coire mhic fhearchair on beinn eighe is cool and pretty low level, you can climb back over the tops weather and mood dependant.

all 3 places though are spectacular and if you are lucky with the weather, you’ll have an amazing trip…

chickenman

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Walks on Skye’ is closed to new replies.