• This topic has 23 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by cozz.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Walking trousers, Mountain Equipment
  • Mounty_73

Looking at some all year round use walking trousers, visited my local Cotswolds store and tried a pair of Mountain Equipment Ibex pants and the fit was great.

Are there any others worth a look at before I buy them?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I always have a look at the Rohan site. sizes seem spot on.
    Nice kit and worth it if in the sale.

ton

i got some cheapish north face ones, which are okish, also got some haglofs which are in a differant league altogether. well worth the money.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i got some berghaus ones a while back that are a sort of weather-resistant (not actually waterproof) material, and they’re really good. indestructible and work really well in pretty much all conditions. were not that expensive either. can’t remember the name, sorry!

think they might be these ones: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/berghaus-ortler-pant/fuseaction/products.detail/code/17240059/id_colour/124

grahamb
    Free Member

Montane Terra’s.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve never really found an all year round walking pant, the temps/weather in this country is just too diverse. Probably depends a bit on where you go and what you do. Often thru the winter I wear just waterproof trousers (goretex or similar with braces, but plain as poss. so it doesn’t look like I’m dressed for an attempt on the Eiger).
    Friend of mine likes his Patagonia Rock Guide pants and wears them regularly.
    Very similar style to what you’re looking at, by the looks of it.

jam-bo

mammut base jump are good winter trousers but too hot for summer.

any old shorts will do in summer.

Cougar

Craghopper Kiwis for me. Cheap and cheerful (like me).

nedrapier

rab vapour rise are also good winter trousers but too hot for summer.

josemctavish
    Free Member

I’ve got Mountain Hardwear trousers I use all year round, really good range of movement and come in long lengths. Not sure what the current equivalent is but definitely worth a look. Patagonia and Mountain Equipments are good too though!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

for all year round use a good compromise would be to get some zip-off trousers and some paclite or event overtrousers, and maybe some 3/4 length hh lifa long johns.

then you could wear the zipoffs for normal weather, or the lifas and zipoffs if a bit colder. If it gets unexpectedly warmer you take the legs off (3/4 lifas so you can roll them up under the short trouser legs).

when on the hill and wind chill comes along put on the paclite trousers.

🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

+1 for montane terra. although if you want to do th dd bit of riding I would go for the terra alpine, they have a more tapered design.

although the ibex pant is a nice option… go for those if they fit nice.

druidh
    Free Member

Terras are great for lightweight, warmer wear. I use the ME Combin trousers in winter though. The Schoeller material is excellent for warmth, stretch and water resistance.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

TNF Apex trekking pants here – the material is very comfy, although I’ve had to take both pairs to the local tailor to get bits of the stitching repaired. although I think that is partly because I wear them biking and they get rubbed at the ‘gooch’.

I have another similar TNF pair that use the same softshell material, but have internal gaiters and braces that I wear for skiing – much comfier than these padded salopette thingies that everybody wears now, much more like the old 80s ‘jet pants’, and you can stick a thin pair of silk/thermal leggings on underneath if it’s a chilly day.

Mounty_73

Cheers people… some good trousers…

I like the Montane Terra, but cant find anywhere local to try a pair on, may have to order a couple of pairs online & try.

Will also look at the mammut base jumps & rab vapour rise, they look like just the sort of thing I am looking for.

I have had a couple of pairs of craghoppers, but I find the fit is very poor for my legs/body shape. 😉

supremebean
    Free Member

mounty, what size waist/leg are you? i have a brand new pair of medium montane terra pants for sale, £40 if you are interested, email in profile. i bought a large and medium and never got round to sending the medium back.

Mounty_73

mounty, what size waist/leg are you? i have a brand new pair of medium montane terra pants for sale, £40 if you are interested, email in profile. i bought a large and medium and never got round to sending the medium back.

Thanks, but I think the medium would be too small, I seem to be around the 36inch waist. 🙂

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

My hubby has Parami Cascada trousers and though pricy are fantastic in the winter, the very long side zips mean flashing a bit of leg if you get too warm, but base layer bottoms underneath can sort that!

AlasdairMc

Montane Terras for me too. I got the special edition ones from the Climbers Shop in Ambleside, only £35 but they’re green.

Very well made and versatile, I wore them in the Alps this summer both in the valleys at 35 degrees and on the summit of Mont Blanc at about ten below freezing.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

My hubby has Parami Cascada trousers

That sounds like a spicy sausage

snowpaul
    Free Member

i use army lightweights or german army moleskins – cheap and durable

paul

amodicumofgnar

Craghopper Kiwi are a good cheap three season trouser, they also do a soft shell version but havent tried them. Current favourite cold weather walking trouser is the Haglof’s Rugged Mountain Pant, so good I might live in them this winter. The downside is they are pricey.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I have quite a few pairs of walking trousers which my employer kindly bought me (or paid for..i chose them!) including the ME Ibex which are very nice and comfortable all day, the Montane Terra’s are really good, nice fitting, side vents and dry quickly, and will also pack up very small and compact. The only thing i find are the sizings are a bit iffy, so try some on first. In addition i’ve got the Mammut Base Jumps – again very good but more an Alpine style pant. Personally, i’d suggest the Montane Terra’s.

cozz
    Free Member

rohan here – bought stuff since the 1980’s when it was even better before it went all poncy

just got another pair of winter bags – they are awesome, and cheap in the sales, they send email newsletters out with some cracking deals

I work outside and winter bags are worth every penny – just got some in the sale for £54

use the normal “bags” on the bike quite a bit too

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Walking trousers, Mountain Equipment’ is closed to new replies.