Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Walking in the Portes du Soleil region
  • rascal
    Free Member

Anyone done any walking in this largely bikey area?
    My long-planned and much anticipated upcoming Morzine biking week has been scuppered due to a broken collarbone, so emphasis now on using lift pass for some great walks instead and seeing the area at a more leisurely pace.
    Looking for recommendations for some non-technical summits to bag as well as places I can grab a beer with a view as I’m bimbling around the area; or even where I can get some maps etc.
    Would much rather be packing the bike though! 😔

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seriously, Stoner is your man on this one. I’ve been talked through the maps. Many times. 😀 Think he’s on some travels at the moment but I’ll call his attention to this and hopefully he can give you some advice.

tjagain

Maps – you can get the ign maps online for free on your phone
    https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s some fab walking. Col De Cou is good without being too remote. Pont de Myon for a summit. There is a nice ridge walk Al Ng the Swiss border above le cret where the samoens descent starts. If you are feeling a bit more adventurous then the roc d’enfer is absolutely epic. Not super technical but quite exposed and some big drops. There are a few great loops that take in bits or a classic big loop. For less adventure just a bit of lift, a stroll and a bar is easily done within the biking area. So much good walking

roc d'enfer walk

tjagain

roc d’enfer

I have done that – utterly terrifying. Nothing technically difficult but the exposure is scary as eff.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you go up SuperMorzine then Zore you can walk into Avoriaz, then down through Lindarets, past Ardent waterfall down to Lac Montriond, and all the way back to Morzine via Montriond village and then down and through the Parc Dereche to the Swimming pool for a dip.

Lovely walk with lots of opportunity for beer stops 👍

Stoner
    Free Member

As nick says there’s just shit loads of superb mountain walks. If done every summit in the area and it’s all fantastic walking. Get the ign blue maps and fill your boots. For non technical, lift assist, and beer related stuff…and assuming you’re based in Morz itself
    (PS get a multi pass if you can for discounted access to some places but more importantly free chairlifts and swimming complex)
    1) superM, zore, walk along serrassaix East and down to lindarets, then either climb to col du bassachaux via the track west out of lindarets or take chaux fleurie and come back that way.

2) get to top of chavannes and walk the plateau du loex, there are walking only routes up there as well as shared paths with vtt

One that v few do is the point d’Uble, a favourite. But you’ll need a car.

Many other summits are awesome but brutal up and downs like the ressachaux or the nanteaux. If you have the legs they are stunning, but non technical.

TBH there’s loads of routes I could describe. Rather depends on the time you have, the legs, and transport. I’m on my way there now, will arrive late Wednesday. I’m around all summer so pm if you fancy a beer over a map to plan or even a walk buddy for an outing if time permits.

It’s what I do whenever I get the chance. I walk there more than I ride really.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Teedertodder

Just back from a hiking trip to Champéry (SUI) with the family. Loads of awesome hikes nearby which were great. Col de Cou was cool, plus upto Dents du Midi and Dents Blanche, although some routes were not accessible without crampons due to late winter.

The multipass allowed us to travel through to France via chairlift on a couple of occasions, would have thought it’s the same when based in Morzine (F) with the same permissions?

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks all – some great suggestions there.

I am indeed based in Morzine and will have the same lift pass as all the other chalet riders – used one of these on lifts as far over as Champery in the past so hope it’s the same again.

Other modes of transport not an option so will be utilizing the lifts to get the bulk of the height done. Pont de Nyon is a must and will reference maps to see how easy it is to get to Col de Cou – ridden ‘that’ ridge down into Champery last time we were there – awesome!
    I’ve done plenty of Grade 1 scrambling here but these are quite a bit bigger – that Roc d’enfer looks very arse-twitchy!
    Like the idea of rounds like the Lindarets/Montriond one too.

Stoner – I’ll message you if that’s ok – I’m there 17-24 Aug – be good to pick your brains beforehand and maybe even there over some Mutzig if you’re around then 😉
    Starting to think this could still be a cracking hol even without the bike!

rascal
    Free Member

My non-biking biking trip is almost upon us – this Sat 🙂
    I’m meeting Stoner for a beer early in the week to discuss routes.
    Map bought. Waist pack bought.
    Quite fancy the Morzine 3 Peaks – Pointe de Nyon, Nantaux and Pointe de Ressachaux – maybe 2 of them anyway, though not ruling out other gentler bimbles.
    Looks like you can bag Nyon easily using lifts…assuming I can use the usual lift pass all the bikers use…and hoping they’re open to to Nyon. Others will require a bit more effort!
    Anyone taken walking poles on a plane ok? They should fit in my kit bag ok…bollocks, just thought…they are carbon so could get damaged in a soft bag…I’ll stick them in my mate’s bike bag.
    I’m limited to what I can carry as not using a backpack (a layer, food and 2 x 650ml bottles)…are they any places tucked away in high meadows I can get water, or even better a beer on the way down?
    Looking forward to it now 🙂

rone

Also, in Morzine last week and there was a fire which spread to l’etale (the go to restaurant) , fortunately no serious injuries as I understand it.

Those wooden buildings don’t look much fun in a fire.

Stoner
    Free Member

The fire at l’etale was pretty fierce. there are videos on twitter. as you say, Rone, fortunately no one hurt. The burger shack is knackered though! The acrid smoke woke is up down valley all through the night.

Rascal- I have poles out here (carbon) you’re welcome to borrow if flying with them is a pain. Also rucksacks if you need one. I can help mark on your map where there are water points at higher altitude. Tbh there’s pretty easy access to water between summits.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Walking in the Portes du Soleil region’ is closed to new replies.