Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wales Road Trip – Must Do Trails?
  • heihei

Am planning a 2-3 day road trip next month. The intention is to stay away from trail centres and ride the natural stuff.
    I've got a pretty good knowledge of mid-Wales (Elan Vally / Rhayader, Machynlleth), and Snowdonia (Pont Scethin, Snowdon) but not done anything in the Black Mountain/s, Beacons etc.

The latest MBR has what looks like some good recommendations. Does anyone have some "must do" trails?

Also, is it worth spending some time at Brechfa / Nant-y-Arian?

maxray
    Free Member

Descent from heaven off Crug Mawr.. I would sing its praises but it has turned into my Nemesis after 4 failed attempts at the route!

the route is in this Great Black mountains book

devs
    Free Member

The Syfindrin trail at NyA has a natural feel about it. BUT, I did it yesterday and it is very very wet. Loads of axle deep puddles and crossings. Great ride though.

mtbfix

The black at Brechfa is more natural than a lot of trail ctrs and will be a proper challenge to ride if it is wet as the first half is really quite slippery and rooty. Very enjoyable, shame there's no cafe there.

cinnamon_girl

The Wayfarer? The Monk's Trod? The Gap Route? All classic 'must do' trails.

But no doubt some will say different on here 😉

trailmonkey

+1 for Crug Mawr. Lots of different ways to approach it.
    Personally, I'd avoid the classic Black Mountains Killer Loop, which gives you a monster push up Y Das only to drop down on really uninspiring open moorland. Anyhow, however you get there, do Crug Mawr.
    The Gap is very good for the scenery and is a must do ride at some point but apart from a rocky stretch at the Gap itself, it's not really that technical and if you're after techy stuff, you might find the whole ride a bit dull.
    If you're going to do some man made stuff then Afan/Glyncwrrg would be my call, just because there's so much choice.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Cadair Idris, Ranger Path on Snowdon, Climach -x

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+ for Climach-x. Great route.

mt
    Free Member

Monks Trod will be in great condition right now, take your snorkle.

heihei

Cheers for the advice.

As for the classics, have done the Wayfarer and Monks Trod in the past, and whilst great scenery wouldn't bother repeating them. I also wondered if the Gap route would fit into the same category, and from the sounds of it, it does.

Done the Climach-x and might repeat – the downhill is superb.

Cader Idris is a possibility – I've walked it, climbed it, so I suppose I should ride it too!

VegiAlex
    Free Member

Cader Idris is awesom! I did it last year in the pi$$ing rain, loved it!

bintangman
    Free Member

..and another for Crug Mawr. I'd go for the killer loop for the fact it's all laid out for you and is a great day out. Theres some great riding round Abertillery and Pontypool as well. Theres some good rides you can do from the carpark at Cwmcarn, some of which have been in WMB.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hmm loads of good stuff in the elan valley. I'm there on the 13th August for 3 days including 'Ride the Dragon' a 50 mile route taking in the Claerwen reservoir, Strata Florida Abbey, the Devils staircase and back to Rhayader. If the wheathers good it's a great ride if not I'll just be pleased to survive it!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Black Mountain Killer loops is ace, although much better on a nice day.
    "The Gap" in the beacons is another classic.
    Doethie Valley at the southern end of the Cambrian Mtns is one of the best natural rides going.

Nant and Brechfa are also well worth it IMO, and if you do the Doethie Valley, then a trip to Cwm Rhaeadr is good. Its only a 5km track, but lots of fun.

waihiboy
    Free Member

dont miss nant-y-arian… one of the best and underated!

brechfa is very scalterix track like llandegla, good fun but i prefer more 'open natural ' stuff

pypdjl
    Free Member

How much of a horrific mud-fest is nant-y-arian likely to be tomorrow?

devs
    Free Member

Sorry just saw this. All the trails will be a little damp but it's never a mud fest I would imagine as it's slate and rock. The big 35 km trail was so wet I can't imagine it drying out any time soon. I ended up losing my front wheel in one puddle! I managed to pedal out though. The rest of the trails should be fine.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Cheers, yes it was mostly fine, although as you say there were a few very deep puddles, saves washing the bike I suppose! Really enjoyed the trail, almost like a mixture of a trail centre and a natural ride.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wales Road Trip – Must Do Trails?’ is closed to new replies.