Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Wake up call for Fox?
  • tom.nash

Thought I would do some market research; my current Fox forks have high and low speed compression damping which I really like. I need new forks, wanted similar but everything has CTD which I dislike (having ridden several different CTD forks), no plans to change for 2014 so X-Fusion it is…

Thought a straw poll on ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ for CTD would be interesting……

fizzicist
    Free Member

Wouldn’t go so far as saying wake up call.

My experience with the Fox CTD 29er forks on my hardtail are good enough – trail setting works nicely, well damped. Climb is fine for road sections as its a total lockout. Descend is totally under damped so I don’t use it.

By comparison, my Maguras dive horribly so end up wound down a lot. DT Swiss are very good but keep blowing oil through the seals. Lyrik 2 step are were the best fork I’ve run all round.

seavers
    Free Member

Yeah… I’m not sure on CTD. New bike came with em, I have always had RS forks. Personally I am finding setting them up a bit of a pain, when I get T right D is rubbish and when I get D right T feels like C.

Lyrik it is then.

seavers
    Free Member

Lyrik 2 step are were the best fork I’ve run all round.

That is comforting!

Northwind

They’ll just do what they always do- sell a flawed product for a bit for a silly price, then launch a new product which fixes the flaws, and turn it into a selling point.

(fork legs wearing? Buy new coating! 32s too flexy? Invent 34s!)

fizzicist – Member

Lyrik 2 step are were the best fork I’ve run all round.

Jesus. Really? Mine exploded before i even got them fitted :mrgreen: When I phoned I got as far as saying “I’ve got these 2-steps and” before the chap was giving me the price for a coil conversion.

orangeboy
    Free Member

For me ctd is in its way out and an avalanche cart is soon to be mine
    34 ctd just does not adjust and dives very badly
    29er 32 should lock out but does not and just not plush

X-Fusion ftw.

Lovely they are.

curvature
    Free Member

CTD on my Whyte M109 and really rate them!

seavers
    Free Member

NW….I was going to go for the dual position Lyrik…I know the 2 steps had issues but how about the Lyrik RC2L Dual Position Air? Reviews seem pretty good.

wrecker
    Free Member

I love my RC2s. I don’t want CTD, and I wouldn’t entertain paying £900 for some. I not a fan of rockshox damping.
    Companies like xfusion could give fox a real wake up call I reckon.

fizzicist
    Free Member

Amazingly my Lyriks never failed, utterly perfect in the 2 years I ran them. Despite nailing a tree head on, bouncing down the broken road and into a gate.

You may have a clue why I don’t run big forks any more….

obelix
    Free Member

Next bike I’ll be getting X-Fusion, even though Fox is in my price range. Their functionality is bloody good, at a fraction of the price. I think Fox (and others) have identified a market that is willing to pay far more than the goods are worth, and are laughing all the way to the bank. So I guess it’s some sort of principle thing.

prezet
    Free Member

Yeah I reckon Fox are shi**ing themselves 🙄

jairaj

I’m not really a fan of Fox but I got on fine with their RLC damper. Tried the CTD damper and didn’t get on with it at all. In D mode it just blew through the travel with no mid stroke support and in T mode it was too stiff with no small bump compliance. I’m told the CTD Adjust would work a bit better but the ridiculous price puts me off.

I’m also annoyed at Rock Shox for getting rid of the dual air spring too!!!

LoCo
    Free Member

2014 Rockshox forks Pike with ‘charger’ closed rct3 damper and revelations with new coating on stantions, seals and the rapid recovery rebound damper are looking & feeling very good.

Northwind

seavers –

but how about the Lyrik RC2L Dual Position Air?

Sorry, no idea, never met one. Probably good though! The damper’s ace and lyrik airs are better than most airs- mahoosive spring I suppose.

Aren’t the Pike stanchions just painted Black i.e. No fancy coating, I read somewhere

LoCo
    Free Member

Hopefully they’ll put the charger damper in the lyrik as it feels better than the current setup in them, one with high and low compression would be rather nice 😉

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I think the theory is simple – the more letters a fork has after it’s name – the more trouble it is going to be. The best bet is to get the simplest fork that suits your budget and travel / weight requirements and send it straight off to the tuners to have the spring weight, oil volume / viscosity and shim stack set up to suit your weight and riding style. This will result in a far better fork than any amount of acronyms the manufacturer can add and will probably be cheaper to boot.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fitted and like probably proves I’m just not as fussy as some.

KonaTC

Fox are guessing that 80% of riders will love the simplicity and for the other 20% as said earlier they will buy next years latest greatest new product. Marketing is King 🙁 over functionality

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So, RS-1’s it is then?

JCL
    Free Member

CTD is crap.

Kuco

My 2 month X-Fusion Slant fork went tits up last week second day into my holiday 🙁 Though they were a really nice fork while they were working.

But I do seem to be unlucky with forks going wrong.

LoCo
    Free Member

Wait and see what the revisions to the 2014 fox CTD units is like before you discount them.
    Pikes and Revs for 2014 that I have had in have the black coating on the legs, which they don’t quote at being ‘slippier’ however I doubt they will have just put the coating on for no reason, just not claiming it, the seals are lower friction and black (or murda’d out if you like too) 😉

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not a fan of CTD forks or shocks; had them fitted to a demo bike and thought they were a bit poo really. Not enough support, especially in the forks that were too eager to use their travel. I’m a big fan of the older forks though and I love my Vanilla RC2’s which are still going strong.

When my 36’s die they’ll be swapped for X Gusion or sine second hand BOS forks. RS, Fox and Marzocchi are all charging way too much money for forks. X Fusion have proved that you can produce a good fork for a lot less than what we’re paying at the mo.

I_Ache
    Free Member

seavers – Member
    NW….I was going to go for the dual position Lyrik…I know the 2 steps had issues but how about the Lyrik RC2L Dual Position Air? Reviews seem pretty good.

My Lyrik DPAs are fantastic. I blew two 2-Step cartridges so fishers put the DPA in for me. The spring is so much better than 2-Step, its much much smoother and therefore more supple over trail chatter. I think it has a much larger air chamber than the 2-Step which is why it feels so much better. The actual DPA action has never failed me either.

Rik
    Free Member

My 2 month X-Fusion Slant fork went tits up last week second day into my holiday Though they were a really nice fork while they were working.
    But I do seem to be unlucky with forks going wrong.

What went wrong with them?

Sanny
    Free Member

I have a set of 32s and almost always run them on the Descend setting. A bit of an unnecessary dial for me to be honest. The rear CTD shock clunks in trail or climb mode and the lever is very easily damaged.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Wake up call for Fox?’ is closed to new replies.