• This topic has 63 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Wahoo Elemnt Bolt
  • onandon
    Free Member

Anyone have one ?

Really interested in the ability to use google maps to find a location and import nav details on the fly.

Any user reviews would be great.

Can’t stand Garmins so please don’t suggest them 🙂

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I don’t have an Elemnt, but I believe the Lezyne GPS units can also import nav details on the fly from a smartphone using their app.

(I don’t have a Lezyne either – but have been looking at both recently. The DC Rainmaker site is a mine of information.)

andyrm
    Free Member

This review’s just been updated with a longer term use video showing various functions in use:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/gadgets/cycle-computers/product/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-review-51034/

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Mv-KQ1f4g[/video]

onandon
    Free Member

Yer, I watched that but no real input into the nav or anything showing in detail how it works.

Also, there are quite a few comments on unreliable data, average speed, distance etc.

variflex
    Free Member

Yes really good unit. I only use it for road use as I use a garmin watch for MTB. Much easier to use than Garmin units. Black and white navigation isnt as good as the colour garmin1000 but with turn by turn pop ups giving 200m warning of the next turn, its been pretty consistent so far. Dont expect to just download a strava route and expect it to tell you when to turn, you have to use ridewithgps.com to enable that and include a cue sheet. Lots of info online.

Overall, much faster than garmin to pick up satellites, sensors etc and the ease of setup via a phone is really good….its biggest selling point. Value for money too I think.

djglover
    Free Member

Interested in one of these..Does it come with any mount that can attach to aero road handlebars does anyone know

variflex
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    Interested in one of these..Does it come with any mount that can attach to aero road handlebars does anyone know

It comes with standard bar mount plus the standard type rubber band solution for attaching to top of stem.

For aero bars you may need to look at other solutions as many include Wahoo inserts. There was a really good one on kickstarter a while back now in production but its 40odd quid I think from memory.

djglover
    Free Member

thanks!

onandon
    Free Member

What’s it like for pulling info from google maps ?

gren
    Free Member

Using one from Raceware on my Canyon. Or you clean buy an adapter if you gave a Garmin/K-Edge one already.

munkster
    Free Member

OP, I went Elemnt Bolt fanboi crazy in this thread a while back, may be some more info/insights in there: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-wahoo-elemnt-bolts-in-stock

😉

shanta
    Free Member

Couple of question.

I have just used min for a road ride and used the HR zones. However the zone only went up i.e on a hill climb i went into Z4 but the zone never settled back down, even after i removed my HR monitor. Anyone else had this issue?

Also, anyone use these for MTB?

munkster
    Free Member

Were you riding with anyone else? ie. were you definitely paired with your own HRM? When was the last time you changed the battery? Did you get, erm, “sweaty enough” to make a decent contact with the sensors? When I’ve not been pushing it on a ride my HRM measures 200+ thanks to the poor contact and even higher if I lift it off my chest, bizarrely.

I’ve just bought some electrode gel for my Garmin HRM (which intermittently misbehaved on the Garmin as well as my Bolt) so will see if that helps in the case I mention above. Cheaper than a new HRM I figured. I’d suspect the HRM before the Bolt personally but you never know…

onandon
    Free Member

Decided to buy one of these but can find stock anywhere in Switzerland or the uk.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Is the Bolt sunlight readable? My Garmin Touring is hopeless if the sun is anything but behind you.

Jason
    Free Member

I bought one of these last week. Wiggle had them in stock briefly. In the sunlight it is clearer than the Garmin 800 it replaced, the black and white screen gives better contrast. However I found the LEDs hard to see in sunlight, they work great for a turn indicator – except on a sunny day.

No issues with the LEDs being used with the HRM function, seemed to work fine.

And it has been used for Mountain biking as well. Seemed fine, and I was surprised how many local trails are shown on the map.

munkster
    Free Member

The indicator LEDs only work on RWGPS routes so as such I rarely get that functionality (tend to just use Strava routes) but yes the LEDs are less visible in bright light. Screen great though.

onandon
    Free Member

ah. one quick questions fellas.

How is the screen with polarized glasses? iphones for example are a pain in the hole.

cheers

munkster
    Free Member

I wear polarising prescription sunglasses with mine. No issues at all.

Edit: but then I’ve never noticed any issues with my iPhone either so maybe I’m not the right one to ask.

shanta
    Free Member

@ munkster

Yes i did get sweaty enough and have also tried it out at home. The Wahoo support have been great to a point but on this HR issue they have gone silent. I guess no one else has had the same issue ?

I have tried ringing their customer support phone line but it always says the are closed..

submarined
    Free Member

So, further to the question above – if you stick a GPX in, how do these deal with it off road?
    I’ve never had any sort of navigation device, and am seriously considering one of these for road rides, but also crucially for off road routes as well, but with the intention of following routes done by others, but not having to stop every 5 seconds to check I’m going the right way.

petec
    Free Member

i’ve got a elemnt, and use the HR on that and with the Suunto watch.

Never had any issues; might be slightly high (got up to 195 in a run the other week), but it does come back to normal when I stop. Resting according to it is about 55 so seems rightish (and obviously that’s without any a lot of sweat)

munkster
    Free Member

@shanta

The Wahoo support have been great to a point but on this HR issue they have gone silent. I guess no one else has had the same issue ?

I have tried ringing their customer support phone line but it always says the are closed..

Are you aware that there is a pretty active Google Groups, er, group for the Elemnt? Could try on there, I believe that the developers keep an eye on it too: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/wahoo-elemnt-users

shanta
    Free Member

I was not aware of the Google forums, however i can’t find anything on this issue. Wahoo did call me yesterday from America but dared not ring back on my mobile for obvious reasons so i am awaiting another call. For those who do use HR zone, does the zone revert back to 1 once the activity has stopped. Mine still shows what my hr was when is stopped the last ride, in this case z3…. Is that right?

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Back in stock @ Wiggle if anyone is looking for one.

onandon
    Free Member

Just checked and they aren’t showing for me.

petec
    Free Member

@shanta

i used my HR monitor last night – it did the usual up and down with the HR over time (and hills). And obviously when I got back it was back to normal very quickly

Yours sounds a bit dicky.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

@ on and on – I guess you are looking at the bundle (out of stock), the unit on it’s own is in stock.

onandon
    Free Member

No, wahoo isn’t even listed when I search.

trigrwoods
    Free Member

Submarined, I am over the moon with mine. Bought it specifically for following off road gpx routes and strava routes and im more than happy with the results. To be fair i can only compare it to using ViewRanger on my iphone which did a job but would often drain the battery before the end of the ride, leaving me in limbo so battery life was one of the main factors of me choosing the wahoo. I followed a quantocks route that I downloaded from strava, it is only a small screen so i did have to correct myself a couple of times (it angrily beeps at you when you go wrong so you can quickly sort it out rather than noticing miles later) I found zooming right in at the onscreen map helped as alot of trails run adjacent to each other so it was easier to distinguish which trail i was supposed to be on. I was out on the bike for about 4 hours and still had 69% battery left when I finished so yeah well chuffed.

MoreCashThanDash

Another bump for this topic

I have apparently won a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt courtesy of an online competition, should be with me by the weekend. 😀

Currently got an old Edge 500 – anyone gone between the two and point any perils and pitfalls of losing my Garmin habit?

Bez

Bugger. Rushed through to the checkout and then realised the current £40 off £200 code is for other stuff.

onandon
    Free Member

Ok. Ordered one eventually from wiggle. My location was Switzerland and some items aren’t shown when you search the site. I swapped back to UK and there they were. I guess Wahoo have their own channel for supply here.

Anyway. Looking forward to giving this baby a try.

shanta
    Free Member

Wahoo in the States rang me in the UK yesterday (would not get that from Garmin) and said they were not aware of the issue i have. The guy said he will pass it on to there developers who are pretty hot on Bolt bugs at the minute as it is obviously there newest product, so i need to look out for software updates soon.

Customer has been very good o must admit, just hope they sort it soon.

shanta
    Free Member

Beginning to think im cursed….

According to my Elemnt app i had a KOM last night (big surprise believe me). After checking in Strava i was actually no where near (face palm).

onandon
    Free Member

A bit of a pain but sounds like they’re keen and interested in helping you out.

I have an issue with endomondo at the moment. It will only record up to 42 miles in one session so I keep loosing my bigger rides.
    I emailed them and they helpfully responded with ( I imagine that’s annoying ) and no further information or help.

Shred
    Free Member

Is there anyway to change the number of fields shown on the screen. When using the side buttons, my Bolt goes from 4 metrics, to 7.

I would like 5 metrics as with 4 there is a gap of unused space.

shanta
    Free Member

Yes, i must admit they have been on the ball trying to assist, much better than Garmin. Lets hope the issues can be sorted with software updates.

Shred
    I have the same issue with fields jumping from 7 too 4 so i guess that is how they are out of the box, not sure if you can amend this.

shanta
    Free Member

Further update,

Greg from Wahoo has emailed me to say there will be some firmware updates available late this week to hopefully fix any bugs, which is good. Hopefully it will fix my latest bug where the ride results on the app shows a max cadence of 220!

medlow
    Free Member

Yep, Wahoo have been great for me too.
    I logged a fault with the Bolt still saying its connected to the phone, even when switched off.
    Also the fact that the phone battery level (displayed on the Bolt) is always 50%.

So there are bluetooth related issues with my setup, and they tell me they have a fix for all of them being released in a few weeks.

Other than that, the Bolt has been excellent.
    I do feel the side buttons could do with a bot more ‘click’ feel, they are a bit mushy for my liking. The top 3 buttons feel great in comparison.
    Great screen in sunlight, maps are good, easy to setup up, phone app is excellent compared to Garmin Connect I find.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Wahoo Elemnt Bolt’ is closed to new replies.