Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Wacko Jacko and the great ticket swindle
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So – the organisers are offering, all out of the goodness of their hearts like, to let people get the tickets in lieu of any refund.

How damn stupid do they think people are (although I am sure there will be a great deal of very stupid people out there)? I mean, 50 nights, 20,000 capacity, that is one million tickets up for grabs.

And they think that people will want them in the hope they will become collectors items?

uplink
    Free Member

Slightly lower @ 800k tickets but yes, I did smile when I heard that on the radio this morning

BigJohn

I think the concerts should still go ahead. It isn’t as if they were relying on him doing the singing & stuff anyway.

Whenever that Buddy Holly stage show plays it’s packed and he hasn’t bothered turning up for any of them.

sofatester
    Free Member

🙄

enfht
    Free Member

I heard Jarvis Cocker may be taking over the tour? 🙂

toby1

You gotta remember, these are people who were dumb enough to buy them in the first place, so there is every chance they will fall for the Commemorative ticket scam!

😛

hora
    Free Member

Seriously? Then its obvious that the company cant afford to give the money back then.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seriously…
    It’s a swindle!

I like this bit or PR… Promoter AEG Live said the tickets feature graphics “inspired and designed” by the music legend

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hardly surprising they cant afford to give all the tickets back – you’d have to be a fairly impressive business to soak up that sort of loss. I dont think its that wacko, some people will want a commemorative ticket. I personally would rather buy some bike bits with the cash (if I had bought a ticket, which I had not). Each to his own. They are offered a 100% refund, it can hardly be considered a swindle can it, unless its a tax on the terminally stupid.

WackoAK
    Free Member

They claim some customers asked if they could be issued with the ticket rather than a refund. Seems like a genius idea dreamed up by someone in the company.

SST
    Free Member

How is it a loss? They didn’t pass the money on to Jacko did they?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well, no, not a swindle, apart from the fact they are trying to influence purchasers behaviour by suggesting they will become collectors items. All 800,000 of them they hope.

uplink
    Free Member

No, but I’m sure there’s been a lot of overheads already so the promoters are going to lose on this one big time

hora
    Free Member

£25m upfront payment. The insurance on the first 10 concerts will cover that but the future dates- will have needed a downpayment.

marsdenman
    Free Member

How is it a loss?

What have they paid out / can they reclaim as deposits for the venue etc.
    Costs already paid for ticket production / distribution – oh, no, sorry – they get that back via ‘booking fees’ don’t they (allegedly your honour…)

No idea how true it is but, it has been mentioned that they are only insured for 50% of price paid so yes, a big loss on the horizon….

I’m not a ticket holder but, if I were I’d gladly exchange it for my money back and let them take their chances selling the ‘commemorative’ tickets – that’d block bandwidth on Classifieds…… 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I bet there were some loose sphincters somewhere in AEG Towers when they heard that Jacko had karked it…

DezB
    Free Member

Apparently, I didn’t hear this myself, but it was suggested on a radio2 discussion yesterday, that it might be disrespectful to want a refund. 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

LOL yes – I switched Radio 2 off at that point – I simply couldn’t process the concept of it being disrespectful.

Again, someone in AEG frantically creating PR stories…

jimster
    Free Member

So how is it a swindle?

You return the ticket you get your money back, you hold onto the ticket and you don’t get a refund.

Same as any other concert that’s been cancelled.

HackneyRider
    Free Member

the question really is why didn’t they insure against a ‘no show’ from the wacko jacko?

or maybe they couldn’t get insured against the loss…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So how is it a swindle?

As I suggested above ^^^^^^

hora
    Free Member

They couldnt.

joemarshall
    Free Member

the question really is why didn’t they insure against a ‘no show’ from the wacko jacko?

Famously not very reliable megastar, hasn’t done a concert for years, rumoured to be not very healthy, plus a legal battle from a rival promoter who claims they have exclusive rights. Potential losses of a no-show = millions. Because of that, no one would insure it, so they took the risk themselves. If they’d pulled it off, they’d have made zillions, as it is, they bear the cost.

Joe

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And you gotta laugh at all those rip-off tee/poster sellers who are lumbered with countless counterfeit goods.

LOL

bigdawg
    Free Member

there was cover in force – but not a lot…

http://www.insurancetimes.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=13&storycode=379183

I seem to recall a few weeks back that there was areport that 10 shows were arranged with Jacksons knowledge and then 40 were added and he was told about it afterwards – he wasnt happy and even he said he couldnt have done that many shows…

epicyclo

tell them to go beat it 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

Apparently they could only get insurance fo 20 of the 50 shows.

I have read stuff that indicates Jackson was too ill to perform even one show, let alone 50. Weeks ago people were suggesting he wouldn’t fulfill the commitments made on his behalf.

Who forced him into it?

kimbers

balls jacko went for 50 coz he knew he was in hideous amounts of debt

hed been unable to come up with an album he promised that sheikh before taking all his money and had been ordered to pay up
    he knew he couldnt manage 50 mins on stage anywhere close to his old form so he took too many painkillers, by mistake

Spongebob
    Free Member

I seem to recall a few weeks back that there was areport that 10 shows were arranged with Jacksons knowledge and then 40 were added and he was told about it afterwards – he wasnt happy and even he said he couldnt have done that many shows…

Correct!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Its alright lads!

By the end of the week Gordon will have stepped in to offer to cover the cost of refunds for all tickets from the public purse… 🙄

mark my words! 😈

Spongebob
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

balls jacko went for 50 coz he knew he was in hideous amounts of debt

hed been unable to come up with an album he promised that sheikh before taking all his money and had been ordered to pay up
    he knew he couldnt manage 50 mins on stage anywhere close to his old form so he took too many painkillers, by mistake

His advisors went for it, not him. They were creaming off huge amounts from him, doctors, lawyers, as well as all the other hangers on.

Jackson was away with the fairies. He knew he had big debts, but was a very sick man (mentally and physically).

duckman

There were pictures of him rehearsing last week and he actually looked better than he had done for years. Still 50 nights? A wee bit mental that one.

toby1

50 shows, sound like he was being managed by Bernie Madoff, who of course had his fee paid up front 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Oh we know he was mentally sick. Do you think Gary Glitter will get the same sort of faux-‘star-that-I-knew-personally’ grief from fans coming out of the woodwork? Or ‘its michael jackson’- hes as innocent as a boy/hes not the sort to do that…

hmmmm. you give $22m to make a complaint go away. Smoke…fires..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

he actually looked better than he had done for years

No he didn’t – he looked an emaciated mess.

thomthumb
    Free Member

No he didn’t – he looked an emaciated mess

the point still stands!! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

His family should take some blame- not hangers on.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

the point still stands!!

Aha – good point, well made.

hora
    Free Member

Overheard girl at work earlier…

“lets look on Ebay etc and Elvis/Lennon old tickets if its a good deal”?

Ghouls all of them.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is a pair of tickets on Ebay at £255 with 6 days to go.

It wouldn’t be AEG employees pushing the price up would it?

Would it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Wacko Jacko and the great ticket swindle’ is closed to new replies.