Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • W2 This weekend
  • skybluestu
    Free Member

What the best start point for W2? I know you can start at either so interested in people’s thoughts. Does it make any difference at all?

martinhutch

Depends if you want a warm up before you get on the Whites climb. That’s the only downside of starting at Glyncorrwyg for me.

oldnpastit

I like to start at the Glyncorrwg end, since (IMO) the cafe is better, so I would rather finish there.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Is there anyone local on here that can guesstimate if the snow will settle up there tonight?

davidjey
    Free Member

Is there anyone local on here that can guesstimate if the snow will settle up there tonight?

We’re being spared the worst of the weather over here, but any precipitation (and there will be some) will fall as snow on the tops – should be alright in the valley if it’s driving you’re worried about. I wouldn’t expect much of it to linger into the weekend.

EDIT/CAVEAT: I’m 30 miles away in Cardiff and extrapolating looking out the window here to what I expect to happen on the hills further west….

chakaping
    Free Member

I like starting at Afan, so I can finish with The Wall descent.

Usually do it with riders who need a mid-ride re-fuel as well, so stopping at Glyncorryg for a bite.

zilog6128

The cafe at Afan is decent now IMO since it was taken over. I like to start at Glyncorrwg so I can do Whites climb when I’m fresh; Y Wall climb is a bit of a fire road slog so I’m not as inclined to ride it so hard.

Denis99
    Free Member

I”ll keep you posted on the snow, I live about 3 miles from the Wall trail.

At the moment it’s just raining, but it can sometimes turn to snow up at Windy Point ( top of the climb out of Glyncorrwg).

I don’t think it will come to much, wouldn’t mind a bit of snow, I will be up there on the fat bike then.

Me, I would start at the Wall end, just so you don’t have the big climb straight out of the Glyncorrwg car park.
    It’s just personal preference though.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Cheers Denis. We are aiming to get up there for 0930 Sat. Will keep an eye out for a fat bike. I’ll be on a Rocket!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I was about to say in just over the otherside of the Blwch, and it is what is locally known as a lovely summers day* here

(*torrentail rain, overcast, windy as and bloody cold)

Denis99
    Free Member

We had a flurry of snowfall late in the evening (yesterday) and then it began freezing.

Windy Point will have snow for sure, it won’t be that deep, but almost certainly will be hard and frozen ice in places.

I would expect a little more snow and the temperature is unlikely to thaw what snow there is up there.

Be fine, just adding to the fun, make sure you have something to protect you from the wind chill and it will be fine.

skybluestu
    Free Member

Cheers for the report! Yeah will be wrapped up like an artic explorer:)

skybluestu
    Free Member

Weather forecast is looking somewhat worse than yesterday. Anyone know if it’s going to be rideable at afan in the morning?

Denis99
    Free Member

It will be rideable, it always is.

Has turned colder, cold wind with occasional sleety hail, nice……

The trails always drain very well, ground will be hard with some snow and ice puddles.

I’ll be the daft old duffer , probably on the ebike, fat bike at that.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘W2 This weekend’ is closed to new replies.