Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • VW T4ists – advice and opinions please?
  • john_l
    Free Member

VW T4ists – asvice/opinions please.

Looking at a ’96 T4 with Reimo conversion. Ticks a lot boxes – right layout, colour (not white or yellow!), Price not too bad etc

Recent MOT history shows that it’s had a lof of structural work done. Which I think is a good thing, or should it set alarm bells ringing that there might be more? Seller has been very open about how much work’s been done, although I guess there’s no point hiding stuff that MOTs flag anymore.

Thoughts on below?

Nearside Front Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
    Offside Front Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))
    Nearside Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
    Front Fluid leak harmful to the environment or a risk to other road users Leak off pipes (8.4.1 (a) (i))
    Front Brakes imbalanced across an axle (1.2.1 (b) (i))
    Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
    Nearside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    Brake fluid close to minimum mark (1.1.10 (d) (ii))

Simon

I would avoid anything that has had any welding to structural areas, plenty of other vans out there.

My T4 is 2002 so a bit newer, I spent months looking for the right van in the spec that I wanted and had to travel from West Yorks to Stirling in the end to get what I wanted.

Phil_H

I sold on my ’96 T4 5 years ago on after a load of work to get it through the 2015 MOT. I didn’t really want to but I poked what I thought was some surface rust on the drivers side sill with the key and it went straight through, the passenger side was the same. The garage I use welded in some new sills and advised me to get rid of it sharpish whilst it still had a decent length of mot on it.
    Looking at the history it just got worse and worse after that.
    M296XSN if you want to have a look.
    1996 is round about the mid series facelift so it could be pre-facelift, then it will have rear drum brakes rather than discs. The brakes on mine were really shit towards the end, kept failing on the rear load sensor.
    What engine is it?
    Mine was a 1.9 normally aspirated diesel and was hard work getting it up to speed.

I had the van for about 10 years and it was great until the end when it just started costing too much to keep it on the road.

If I were you I’d look for something younger.

misteralz
    Free Member

We’ve had a T4 for five years now, one of the last of the short nose ones. I’ve seen plenty crusty ones in my time but never anything structural. Run, and run away fast!

jamesoz

I’d avoid it myself, rust areas tend to grow after welding unless you can/have treated the inside of the welded area.
    As mentioned if there are any rust bubbles visable, it will be a hole if you prod it.

duncancallum

Depends on how well done….

They do rot a bit. What’s been replaced and any photos of the work

Marin
    Free Member

Best advice: Don’t buy it.
    I’ve got an ’03 T4 for 10 years and whilst I hope it has many more miles in it they are old and parts wear out. The list of warnings on that vehicle makes mine look brand new. Save up more cash and get a better van. You see countless VW’s with a nice paint job and a good conversion but on vans that old it’s all fur coat and no knickers.

duncancallum

So it wanted pads and a leak off pipe. A set of arb bushes.

That is all fine.

Was it chassis rails or sills.

Its not as bad as people are saying on here.

Where is it located. If its NW I’ll have a look if you wanted

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Had a 2001 T4 for 5 years. Easy to work on, just make sure water pump is replaced as often as is possible, they are crap. I had issues with rust on the bodywork mainly arches…but the previous owner effectively parked it next to sea for 10 years! Considering that it was structurally sound, which is probably why I’d give that one a wide berth!

db

**stealth advert**

Don’t buy it, buy mine! 1997 Holdsworth with less than 61k miles.

john_l
    Free Member

Thanks all, appreciate the advice and the offers of help. The rest of the MOT history is even more welding, so it’s a no go.

dB – pm me, interested.

ash.addy
    Free Member

Most older T4’s have had welding done to them. This doesn’t mean they’re bad vans. I sold mine 5 years ago but when I bought it I spent a fortune on welding. If the van is right take it to a garage for a report at least then you know of the welding has been done properly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘VW T4ists – advice and opinions please?’ is closed to new replies.