Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • VW Golf 2.0tdi mk7 – 100,000 miles plus?
  • Mintyjim

Hi,
    Has anyone got a highish mileage mk7 Golf?
    I don’t really subscribe to the 100,000 plus miles problem zone in well cared for cars, but interested if anyone has one and what were the problems?

Looking at one as a stop gap, 64 plate with 107k miles over 4.5 years so perfect motorway miles.
    Feedback welcome!

Cheers

Drac

Superb car I had one before I went all hippy hybrid. It had around 50k on when I got rid, never faulted in that time.

Mintyjim

Love to go hybrid but I don’t have the budget yet.
    Good to hear about your experience. I’m ok with the spanners but some of the emissions tech might be beyond me.

jeffl

I’ve got the same engine in an Octavia. Just about to tick over 100k. Only problem so far was the well known issue with the water pump failing. This was fixed by the dealer under warranty.

Obviously not much help as I’ve not got over 100k yet. Main thing I’d be looking at on a high mileage car is wear and tear on suspension components. May need to account for new shocks and a clutch at some point.

bigginge

I’m at just under 120,000 on a 2013 2.0 tdi Octavia estate which I imagine is 99% of the same engine parts as this. Apart from servicing and tyres I’ve not had to touch it since buying it a few years ago with 62,000 miles on it. Apparently the timing belt is due for a change at 120,000 miles (or every five years) so I should probably sort that but it didn’t sound too bad at around £400 for our local independent place.

slackboy

I’ve had various VAG group 2.0 TDi engines taken them to 150,000+ before I got nervous. Never actually had any problems with the engines. They’re pretty reliable as along as you change the cambelt regularly and keep an eye on the fluid levels.

I think the real issue with 100,000+ cars is the wear and tear on the other components – clutch, turbo, suspension etc will all be getting tired and that may mean a bill while you own it.

Mintyjim

Great feedback. Given 107k over 4.5 years I’m quite comfortable about wear and tear.
    I’m more concerned about our 2008 2.0tdi Touran with 110k on the clock of predominantly town driving!

40mpg

I’ve had 3 2.0 tdi Passats, all taken to 130 to 140k miles. No real problems, just little niggles. Only changed the last 2 after people drove into me and wrote them off. I came off better than the car each time!

Currently on 135k and still lovely yo drive. Very reliable. Boot latch has just gone, £25 for a new one, half hour to replae. Similar thing when i snapped off the mirror switch.

Golf and Passat models don’t really date either so a good choice.

drnosh
    Free Member

Son no 2 has a mkV Golf.

Bought at 70k miles, now 130k miles.

Old school diesel.

Ultra reliable in 5 years we have had it here. Regular servicing, especially oil to keep the turbo sweet.

Good on tyres.

Front wings a bit rusty now (common problem, rubbing of the wheel arch plastic on the folded under lip of the wheel arch breaks the paint, and rust starts). Not structural luckily.

jakd95
    Free Member

Got a 2009 Mk2.5 Octavia with the 2.0 CR Tdi @ 152k, had a replacement turbo about 10k ago but apart from that still runs well, though the suspension is getting tired.

lowey

Had a 2.0lt tdi golf Mk7 GTD for 3 years.. took it to 90,000 from new. Never once missed a beat. totally rock solid and would have another in a heartbeat.

Previous to that was a 1.9tdi passat that I did 230,000 in. Again, never once had a problem (other than CV joints)>

molgrips
    Free Member

Age much more important than mileage IMO.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Just got a newer Audi A4 – ours was a 1.9TDi 130 -so similar engine. It had 210k on the clock & was still going well but for the automatic gearbox which was failing & a repair was uneconomical.

Lester
    Free Member

I have a golf 2.0 td for my work car at the moment its a “60” plate
    I just take pool cars that are available as I have 2 other vehicles at home

the golf has done 175,000 miles, and it hasn’t been treated well, lots of people in our company have used and abused it.

I cant believe how well it drives, its so reliable, oops jinxed it, and its an automatic

Mintyjim

Brilliant. I’ll do it. Watch me buy a lemon! Bahahaha….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf 2.0tdi mk7 – 100,000 miles plus?’ is closed to new replies.