Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Vorsprung Smashpot – fitted.
  • jk1980
    Free Member

I’ve got one for my 160mm 2018 Lyrik, fitted by TF. I’m approx 88kg kitted so they have suggested a 55lbs spring.

I’ve been out on it today, and it really doesn’t feel good, way too harsh as it feels that the spring is too hard and ramps up really quickly even with the bottom out thing fully open. In fact on a set of trails where i normally get 140-150mm travel uses, I managed 72mm today! I’m not quite 100% back from an injury, but even so I would have expected to get through most of the travel on some sections.

Calling TF tomorrow, who are great to deal with, so hopefully they can resolve. But there’s so much ramp up, I’m thinking I could drop to a 50lb or even 45lb. Anyone else surprised by the ramp up? In open mode I was expecting it to be much more linear than it is.

lardman
    Free Member

after giving mine a few runs down my local jump spot/drop-off spot at the weekend, i can confirm that i will be going with a 10lbs lighter spring than the chart recommends.

I’m still running only 3 clicks from fully soft on the HBO, and getting only 20mm away from full travel (180mm fork) on sketchy landings.

I will have come down from 60lbs, to 55, then now will order up the 50lbs to check that out. Fork feels plush and active, but def oversprung still.

I’m 110kg

The Vorsprung charts are WAY off (at least in the 50-60lbs range)

mashr

Did both of you get your desired sag with your current springs? Would be a pain in the balls if you had to compromise on the sag you use by using a softer spring

schmung
    Free Member

I got a 45lb fitted to my pike (which already had a FAST 3 way damper), which is right according to the first version of the charts, but should be 40 according to the 2nd. Rode it for a few weeks, but felt it was too harsh, sothen got a 40 which I found really horrible in berms etc – had to dial in a load more LSC which ruined the small bump. Back to the 45 spring now but with the LSC wound almost right out and it feels about right. Still haven’t bottomed the thing, but it feels great for most stuff, so pretty happy.

I’m about 10-10.5 stone or thereabouts.

I do get a slight clunk when I completely unweighted the fork sometimes, but I can’t work out the source of it- everything is done up to torque spec inside.

lardman
    Free Member

The first 60lbs spring was giving me about 15% sag, the 55 version is in there now, giving around 20% but i prefer to run at least 25, preferably 30%.

So when the new 50lbs one arrives, I’ll post back the findings.

lardman
    Free Member

Btw- I’ve not seen 2 versions of the chart, just the one on TF tuned site.

There’s a new one?

lardman
    Free Member

Ok- so just looked at Vorsprung site chart, which has revised the weights down by 5lbs for my category, I still think the ‘soft’ setup option is more like the how the medium should be, but it’s closer now.

doomanic

Are the springs swapped out or is each different rate purchased outright?

schmung
    Free Member

Just the spring, which is about 60 quid. Pretty easy to undertake yourself as well.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi this is kind of why i asked about the bottom out setting. i feel i’m not getting max travel but the sag is right.  it’s fantastic off the top, roots etc   took it to the bike park on saturday but it was only the tamer trail open due to snow.   wondering if my spring is correct

lardman
    Free Member

Due to the spring rate chart being ‘out’ by quite a bit, TF Tuned have changed my spring (1 of them so far) for free.

Good service from them as usual.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ok may contact them

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

am currently in contact with Vorsprung and yes turns out my 55lbs is wrong and it should be 50lbs.

Hope i dont have to fork out for a new one.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

anyone have a 50lbs spring they want to sell or swap for a 55lbs?

transition1
    Free Member

I have a 55lb spring in my 2019 Yari 170mm, am 95kg kitted up with rucksack & water etc, went for that spring as on an e-sommet get about 20% sag early days in testing but seems good

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes i’m 80kgs fully kitted up, 150mm fox and their new table says 50lbs. I’m pretty peeved and this is gonna cost me another 70 quid to get it working as it should . Vorsprung said there is a  theoretically a 9% difference in spring rate between springs.

I didn’t fit it myself. it’s an easy job to to just pop out the old spring and put in the new one?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

HI all, I didn’t fit my smashPot myself, now it’s time for a lower leg service on my 36. Anything to think about / do different?

singlespeedstu

Same procedure just more oil in the spring side.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers ok

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

thread resurrection here! two things:

i need to change from 15mm travel to 170mm, its an easy job right.. take it apart and move some stack spacers?

Also, my bottom out adjuster seems to now only move approx one full turn, no clicks, and it doesn’t do anything. any ideas?

singlespeedstu

Easy enough to change the travel but you’ll need some heatshrink to replace the stuff you’ll have to cut of.You need to change the number of small inner spacers and the large outer ones to change travel.
    Not sure about the bottom out. Is the adjuster shaft bent?
    Take it apart and have a look. Again easy to do, just take note of how the shims are stacked.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers, good point about the heatshrink..  will need to source some of that

jakehinton
    Free Member

How often are people doing a lower leg service on their forks with the smashpot fitted?

big_scot_nanny

Holy thread resurrection, batman! I’ve never done one of these before, kinda proud to do so 🙂

Really thinking hard about this for my Pike on the hardtail. My favouritest fork ever was a coil lyric BITD on a bike that got nicked. Want to recreate that feel, and as I am a heavy bugger I reckon this is a good call.

@lardman
    if you got the 50lbs spring, 10lbs lower than recommended, how did that feel?

I’m 120kg fully kitted, and it was reckomending the 75lbs spring. now, given the fork pressures I run have always been way lower than what RS recommends, and your comments, I’m thinking 65lbs would be more realistic.

thoughts appreciated!

mashr

Cant say much about the spring weight, but your Pike plus this kit (with its hydraulic bottom out) should be grand for you.

I was also thinking of resurrecting this thread with a different question – I rushed a spring change recently and my previously silent fork is now clunking. Suspicion is lack of preload (its not a topout clunk) as per the manual – anyone else gone through similar? Easy fix, but better to check before draining the oil and pulling it apart

bruneep

Yes, had this when I swapped springs out once.

mashr

Yeah that’s the bit I’ve been looking at too. I’m now on 10mm so time for another washer. A tad annoying that the want you to put the spacer in at the bottom

singlespeedstu

Easy fix, but better to check before draining the oil and pulling it apart

No need to drain the oil to adjust the preload.
    Just undo the topcap and compress the fork then adjust.

Mine came back from having an Andreani piston fitted and had a pretty bad clunk/rattle.
    Tried altering the preload with no luck.
    On closer inspection the heatshrink had wound it’s way up the spring.
    Re fitted some new stuff further down the spring and now it’s silent again.

Edit.
    Just seen your new post.
    Unless you can get the big spacer out somehow you will have to drain the oil and take the assembly out.

clubby

@big_scot_nanny when I got mine I was told to go by body weight, not fully kitted weight, as the chart accounts for this. I went for the lower of the two options I was near and it’s been great. Shop offered a free spring swap after a couple of rides if needed. As far as the chart goes, Vorsprung are based in Whistler and their idea of hard riding may be very different to a UK rider’s.
    It’s on my ebike which doesn’t see a big jumps so haven’t been using full travel, even with HBO fully open. Have just rebuilt them with a couple of the shins moved to lighten up the end stroke, but haven’t had a chance to text the difference yet. You can also run lighter oil to accomplish the same thing, although the shop has already recommended using 15wt instead of 20wt.

big_scot_nanny

@clubby that’s really helpful, thank you. And @mashr – great to have the affirmation, thanks!

bruneep

I was advised to go to a 55 spring by TF and Vorsprung, currently on a 45 spring, with 10wt oil

hairyscary

About 78kg to 80kg body weight here.
    50lb Spring and 2 clicks of HBO from open using 20 weight oil.
    50lb spring and a lot more clicks of HBO from open using 10 weight oil.

The forks have just been sold with the bike they were on and replaced with a an Ohlins air RFX 36 M.2.
    The Ohlins is good but not as good as the Fox 36 Rhythm with the Smashpot.

mashr

Does anyone know the specs of the heatshrink? You can buy it from TF Tuned but even they agreed it’s the most expensive heatshrink in the world when you buy it that way

P.S. the stuff covering my spring has clearly been for a wander too, so the preload may be fine after all

bruneep
    singlespeedstu

I emailed the Vorsprung guys and they gave me the speck for the heatshrink.
    Was a while ago and I cant remember what it was now.

mashr

bruneep

I’ve used this

Ordered thanks

anderzz
    Free Member

I’m changing travel and I want to source heat shrink myself. What size do I need?

Spring:
    2:1 singlewall polyolefin non-adhesive, with an initial (non-shrunk) diameter of 1.25″ (32mm). 1.5″ (38mm) initial diameter will also work.

Outer tube:
    2:1 singlewall polyolefin non-adhesive, with an intital (non-shrunk) diameter of 3/4″ (19.1mm)

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.