Home Forums Chat Forum Volvo estate appreciation

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 272 total)
  • Volvo estate appreciation
  • snotrag

@smokey_jo – presume yours is the 1.8 or 2.0 – in which case its a Ford/Mazda Duratec/MZR. Exact same common thermostat issue on MX-5s, Mondeos etc and anything else with that engine. Its a bit fiddly to get to, but an easy job.

Remember its a predominantly ford pard – you can x-ref against Mazda and Volvo part numbers. Not expensive at all.

Do not ignore it though as you get terrible fuel economy as your finding out, but also in extreme, run the risk of borewash from your engine running so rich all the time.

Edit – good car though, I had an ’07 R-Design for a while which looked good, had the funky tow tone seats but was awfully underpowered for me with the 1.8. It all Mk2 focus underneath so dirt cheap and easy to keep them going.

smokey_jo

@snotrag yup mines the 1.8 – Temp gauge gets up to 1/4 then doesn’t move unless you leave it idling at a standstill. Then drops as soon as you get air flowing on the move again. I thought it might be the sensor rather than the stat as I get heat into the cabin within 2 mins.

Didn’t realise it was such a common issue – good to know the likely fix though.

On the Focus/Mondeo you get good access via the headlight but the V50 has a weird bit of bodyshell that gets in the way. Looks like the serpentine belt tensioner will have to come off to give me enough room to get a socket on the bolts.

lowey

The latest cars are fully integrated with android auto, started about 4 years ago and is now pretty much across the board in europe. V90 was launched in the middle of 2021 IIRC, i’m in a V60, which got it a bit later. If it’s earlier than that, you have to use Volvos built in voice commands, which aren’t so good.

For my 21 plate V60 Android Auto was an option. Bit rubbish really given the price of the car. Would expect Andriod / apple car to be standard these days. Even our vans at work have it.

The built in voice command works perfectly fine with setting temp and fans etc though.

tonyg2003

Our XC60 has the google operating system, but I use Apple Carplay as a default mostly. It works fine but it is no improvement on the system in the 5yr old Merc the volvo replaced.

slackboy

Android Auto

Theres a difference between Android Auto and Google automotive services which the Volvo range is moving to. ( The v60 should have it for 2023 models).

Android Auto just allows you to run an app from your phone on screen

Automotive services embeds the Google os in the car and is used to control all the infotainment stuff.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/v/connectivity/infotainment-page

boblo
    Free Member

Yes agreed. I can use Android Auto with mine it just needs a specific USB socket for phone connection. All that really does is (badly) mirror a small selection of apps on the big telly. Sadly Google Maps is (are) mirrored at about 1/4 size of the native nav system screen which is a bit clunkier to use. Try setting up several vias without road names/junctions/post codes in Volvo native nav to see what a ballache it is…

mert
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s the cookie, google automotive, but we generally refered to it by the project, which was iCUP.

towpathman

Northwind

snotrag

@smokey_jo
    – presume yours is the 1.8 or 2.0 – in which case its a Ford/Mazda Duratec/MZR. Exact same common thermostat issue on MX-5s, Mondeos etc and anything else with that engine. Its a bit fiddly to get to, but an easy job.

Is there the two sizes like there is in the mazda applications? (long and short?) IIRC they both fit fine in the MX5 but there’s some applications where you need the right one for clearance reasons.

It’s a big enough pain in the arse to not cut corners I reckon, usually I’m happy enough with pattern but here I went for a genuine one.

smokey_jo

Will it’s done now but I lost half a day and most of the skin off the back of my hands doing it.

Once the aux belt tensioner was off access to the pipe clips was OK then top 2 stat bolts were no problem, the lower one though, christ almighty, had to manoeuvre the socket on extensions into the gap between the inlet on the block and then get under the car to get the socket located onto the bolt then back on my feet to work the ratchet a couple of clicks before the socket came off the bolt and get back under car to out socket back on and repeat for an hour until the bolt is finally free.

Repeat for reassembly🙄

Still car warms up normally now so the stat was stuck open, good job it wasn’t the coolant temp sensor as I couldn’t even see it let alone get a spanner on it.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah you’ve got to take the stat out to get to the sensor…

smokey_jo

Stat was out and I still couldn’t see the sensor…..

boblo
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn’t being serious. Missed the emoji out. It’s the sort of thing I always do. Fix something that isn’t broken then have to remove it again (possibly breaking it) to get to the broken bit. Design eh? 🙄

stwhannah

Please send Volvo karma my way. 08 V50 at the dealer for fault diagnosis this week. Suspect a Dacia Logan MCV is in my near future (as the cheapest newish large thing available).

Edit: dealer says it’s probably not worth paying for the fault diagnosis. I hate cars.

RustyNissanPrairie

Please send Volvo karma my way. 08 V50 at the dealer for fault diagnosis this week. Suspect a Dacia Logan MCV is in my near future (as the cheapest newish large thing available).

I’m afraid regular sacrifices to the Norse gods of Volvohalla are needed to keep some of these old warriors on the road. Fingers crossed Odin is in a pitiful mood…..

…….or its your EGR valve.

RustyNissanPrairie

Edit: dealer says it’s probably not worth paying for the fault diagnosis. I hate cars.

If no joy – i have Volvo dealership level diagnostic gear (Vida) if you’re in Rawtenstall call by and I’ll have a look at it.

RustyNissanPrairie

4 years on from starting this thread and it’s just passed another MOT today with no advisory.

It was first registered on 27th August 2004 so had its 19th birthday this weekend @ 203k miles.

I preemptively changed the control arms as I’ve never been happy with the PU bushes I fitted a few years ago and changed the rear radius arm bushes. Otherwise it was a couple of cans of wax (Bilt Hamber S50) to touch up the underside.
    Parts bill ~£350
    Still an awesome car but it does feel like bit of a dinosaur nowadays in a world of EV’s although it is ULEZ friendly.

Thankfully I have a good assistant!

mazdarati

Just back from a 4k trip through France Belgium and The Netherlands in my ’14 V70. Just clicked over 315,000km on the way home. Never really cost me anything outside of regular maintenance over the past 4 years. And only estate I know that’s wide enough to take a large frame widthways across the boot. No need to throw down the back seats makes a massive difference when clicking up miles (Sadly only with the gravel bike now given the LLS newer MTBs)

IMG_20230814_185512IMG_20230814_194938IMG_20230825_215543IMG_20230814_194918IMG_20230825_130041IMG_20230825_203525

RustyNissanPrairie

315,000km

👍 which engine is it?

mazdarati

The VEA 2.0 4 cylinder. That of the notorious EGR valve issues! Went through all the recalls with Volvo with previous owner. Think the last rectification work was done at 140kms been trouble free for me ever since. I really should be shortening the oil change intervals given the mileage but it rarely uses oil between top ups and with my annual mileage I’ve kept it to the 28k oil change as I just don’t have the time to take it off the road!

jeffl

Not my Volvo but spotted this whilst out the other day.

IMG_20230904_110251

bfw

my two big Volvo estate experiences..

mid 90’s 740 Est fantastic for me and my bikes, and then in 2002 a eight year old 940 Est that cost me 8k in 18m and was a horrible experience.  The first was hardly serviced until I got it, the second had a brilliant service history from new and one previous owner.  Go figure…

Loved the internal dimensions though

bigsurfer
    Free Member

So I am looking to buy an O8 plate V70 2.4 D5 I went to see it and had a good look over it. I am a good home mechanic I have been doing all jobs on mainly VW and skodas for the last 20 years. The V70 has been parked up for a few months as the sellers are emigrating. It drives well, couple of bits of paint work that could do with tidying up but not rusty. Its done 190,000 miles it needs a new drivers seat as the leather is ripped but thats quite easy and is perfectly usable while I wait for a good replacement. It was already cheap but they jump stated it and fitted a new battery and now the stereo and central control panel is now dead, no lights nothing works no AC, ventilation fan reversing sensors. I agreed to buy it based on them getting a garrage to fix it, the garage are saying they need to send a module off to be repaired which puts us out of the time frame to buy it before the seller leaves the country. I have negotiated buying it for £500 as is. My internet searches have lead me to beleive that it could be the CEM module, ICM or IAM. Is it a parts lottery or should diagnostics be able to tell which part has failed. If so do I get a garage to diagnose or do i buy a lead and a copy of Visa. I will talk to the garage that has been looking at it to see if they pinpointed a specific module?

mazdarati

Speak with the garage first to see if they have identified the specific problem. There seems to be varying reports online of centre console failure after a jump start, with everything from a fuse to CEM module. volvoforums.org.uk has a wealth of knowledge, may be someone with Vida near you who is willing to help.

At £500 it’s worth twice that in parts so don’t worry I’m sure you will get it running. Keep us updated!

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Mazdarati, spoke with the garage they have scanned with generic software and it reports Climate Control Module comms failure. Picking it up on Sunday so will take it from there. Looking forward to it, wanted one for ages but have had 2 skoda octavias that have litteraly not put a foot wrong for the past 4 years. Will probably get a copy of Vida and go from there, will let you know how I get on.

RustyNissanPrairie

The best source of Vida is one I can’t quite remember the name of (sorry) but the guy pre packages it in a Virtual Machine (Vmware) and charges $5 to cover the bandwidth/download. It’s a massive file so you might have to do a few attempts.
    It’s far easier with a VM rather than trying to find the correct configuration of PC/laptop.

DICE clones occasionally come up on ebay bit Volvo are on to it. I got mine from Alibaba/AliExpress

CEM fault could be moisture related – check the scuttle/sunroof drains.

https://volvodiagnostic.com/

fatmountain
    Free Member

I find it so depressing that they’re disconintuing these estates in favour of the SUV.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

RustyNissanPrairie. Is this the Vida download you were thinking about https://volvodiag.com/. I can’t see anywhere where it mentions the cable type you need? Is it a specific cable or just generic.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

So I have now joined the club. Managed to get a V70 2.4D5 manual for the crzy low price of £500 drove home the 100 miles with no problem. Car was absolutely filthy inside and out but after a good afternoon it is now approachine presentable. It has quite a few scratches on the bonet (looks like a cat slept on it regularly) a really bad paint repair on the rear wing that has crazed (checked inside and no actual panel damage just a bodged paint repair). I am waiting on a Mongoose cable to arrive so I can get Vida on it to try and track down the comms error for the central part of the dash. Rear subframe has a good layer of surface rust on it which will need dealing with in the next few months but seems pretty solid. I am firmly in the camp of cars are a tool to take you amazing places, while lugging lots of kit, hopefully reliable so it doesn’t need to be perfect just look presentable and not be rusting away.

matt_outandabout

I picked up my VIDA/DICE from Facebook….It is a good tool and worth having, if a faff to set up if you are not technically minded.

mazdarati

Looks great bigsurfer. They are a reliable old tank, plenty in Autotrader in the 200k mile club. My BIL, who is living in Finland had a V50 with the 2.4D and it had well over 450km on it and that seemed to be the norm over there given how expensive cars are to buy new in Finland

RustyNissanPrairie

RustyNissanPrairie. Is this the Vida download you were thinking about https://volvodiag.com/. I can’t see anywhere where it mentions the cable type you need? Is it a specific cable or just generic.

Yep that’s the website I got mine from.
    The cable/dongle is the DICE – this is the tricky part of it as they are all clones but some are better than others. I can’t remember where mine came from sorry.

RustyNissanPrairie

@bigsurfer

Managed to get a V70 2.4D5 manual

Good price – I bought an XC90 for £500 with 215k mile. It’s good condition but I’m rebuilding it.

Following on from my £400 bangernomics – £500 Volvo

Couple of things with a D5
    1. Change the auxiliary belt and ideally change the alternator one way pulley as well. If it throws the belt it takes the timing belt with it destroying the head/engine.

2. I think yours is 185bhp/silver rocker cover – check the swirl flap arm is connected (left hand side of the block/head – small plastic arm 2″ long)

3. Listen for ‘tugboat chugging’ especially with the filler cap removed – dead vacuum operated engine mount.

Saccades
    Free Member

My “fake” Volvo had a head gasket failure 😩, just after it hit 350k km. Not uncommon on the hdi engine.

Fixed for under a grand and so far appears to be all good (appears to have regained some horses too).

I regularly see a v50 T5 AWD on my commute that I lust after.

boblo
    Free Member

Not sure I’ve seen this here so far…

I’ve the v90 D5 AWD jobbie and just had it in for the annual rape and pillage. I opted for the Polestar Optimisation extra fruity upgrade. You get 14 days to decide if it’s black magic or not and can have a refund if you’re not chuffed.

Well I’m chuffed. It’s night and day even compared to the old Dynamic setting. There’s hardly any extra top end (5bhp) but 20% more midrange torque and they reprogramme the box so it’s less lazy/shunty at start off and holds the gears slightly longer. Nothing bonkers, just enough. As a Brucey Bonus, I’m getting +5mpg as well so self funding in 25k miles at current fuel costs (ahem).

I’m usually sceptical of these magic tunes but this one is Volvo’s (Polestar) own and doesn’t impact any warranty etc. My only reservation is why oh why oh why should we pay more for the car it should have been…?

The other info point that IDNK is, whatever driving mode you choose, it defaults back to ‘Comfort’ on start up. Who knew?

RicB

Booked my V60 Recharge in to the dealership today as the high voltage coolant heater has blown again. Seems a common problem with Volvos. It took them 3 months to fix last time so probably means I’ll be without preheat and a cabin heater for 2 out of the 3 winters I’ll have it on lease. Awesome

I know some people love them but for me it’s  been a profoundly negative experience

and don’t even get me started on the automatic boot lid that randomly closes on my head, the awful satnav and the laggy touchscreen that is a pain to use.

have asked the lease company if I can get shot of it early

RustyNissanPrairie

V60 Recharge

Geely not Gothenburg.🤷‍♂️

stox
    Free Member

After spending all of my childhood in Volvo Estates the inevitable has happened – I’ve turned into my dad . Just got a V60 R Design Plus (D3) in Savile grey and I absolutely love it! Here’s Hoping it does me as well as some of the cars on this thread …

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My XC 60 2.4 D4 is due a cambelt change. probably going to take it to a (trusted) local garage as it looks a pig of a job. Any ideas on costs before I book it in?

matt_outandabout

Not only have Volvo stopped producing estates, this apparently is thier next practical car.
    Oh Volvo Geely.
    🤢

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/volvo-em90

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 272 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.