Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Following on from my £400 bangernomics – £500 Volvo
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Following this thread I started

£400 VW Golf bangernomics

I’ve just picked this up – Volvo XC90 D5 diesel auto, 2010year, one deceased owner from new and has been used by his daughter (friend of MrsRNP) for the last year. She was offered £500 trade in for it but knows I like my Volvo’s (MrsRNP has a V70) so offered it us for the same.

It’s a bit leggy at 210k miles but has had money spent on it and I can’t grumble for £500! Going to get it in my workshop and go over it before use.

walowiz

Bargain, definitely looks ok for 500 quid

RustyNissanPrairie

Yep – it’s a bargain but the owner knows I’ll tinker it and keep on top of it and with it a part of her dad’s legacy will continue (he had it from new).

This is MrsRNP V70 and some of the work I’ve done on it.

A Volvo is for life not just PCP.

Volvo estate appreciation

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teethgrinder

I’d love an XC90 D5, but the tax and fuel economy would make me weep.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I do love bangernomics and big mile Volos. I picked up a 2004 focus 1.8TDCI estate two years ago with 100k on the clock for £500. It’s been absolutely faultless. Cruises up and down the motorway effortlessly. Makes me wonder why anyone would spend 50k+ to do the same thing.?

chestrockwell

Because a 50k modern car will be a much nicer place to be than a 2004 Focus?

Love an early Focus, had plenty and was running a 2004 ST170 a few years ago but time moves on and pretty much any current car will be better, let alone a 50k one. I can absolutely see why people would if they have the available cash although it’s certainly down to personal preference and priority.

Nice Volvo BTW.

BadlyWiredDog

Because a 50k modern car will be a much nicer place to be than a 2004 Focus?

I can’t help it, but every time someone gives it the ‘a nicer place to be’ thing on a car thread, I imagine some louche bohemian dick lounging on a velvety chaise longue in a smoking jacket with one of those six-inch cigarette holders from the 1920s. Honestly, are people really bothered whether their car has cleaner, more modern patterned fabric and lavishly-contoured centre console?

Cars are not ‘a nice place to be’ full stop. They’re just a planet-trashing and practical way of getting from one place to another. I get the enthusiasm for fast or characterful cars, but the whole ‘nice place to be’ thing baffles me. Genuinely.

matt_outandabout

My boss has identical one in colour, age and mileage. It just clatters on.

Her only moan is the fuel economy and when it needs work, it can get steep…

flannol
    Free Member

Obviously assuming a 3rd party bluetooth radio is installed, I’m actually not sure modern cars are ‘nicer places to be’. If anything they’re made to a cost now. A Mk5/Mk6 golf is significantly nicer build quality than a modern golf – which is now a bit of a tin can, for example. And taller sidewalls ‘of old’ make for more comfortable cars on our shit roads compared to these joker wheels that come on even ‘entry level’ cars now – disagree all you like, it’s fact

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

“Because a 50k modern car will be a much nicer place to be than a 2004 Focus?”

Can’t argue with that but how nice do you want it ? It’s a box with an engine in for carrying shite up and the motorway not a holiday home.

RustyNissanPrairie

I spanner our own cars have VIDA/DICE Volvo diagnostics and my own workshop space in our house so running costs are minimal. The MPG will be better than our petrol 2.4NA! but we only do low mileages.

mashr

Came here hoping it was an XC90 – is not disappointed

timber

These were in my searches earlier in the year when it looked like I might have needed a cheap tow vehicle that could be used along forest tracks and fields.
    At £500, if it doesn’t work out for you…

kelvin

That’s proper.

doris5000

Cars are not ‘a nice place to be’ full stop. They’re just a planet-trashing and practical way of getting from one place to another. I get the enthusiasm for fast or characterful cars, but the whole ‘nice place to be’ thing baffles me. Genuinely.

I’ve only ever owned 2 cars, and when the first one died (a 14 year old Mondeo diesel estate), I replaced it with a 7 y/o Mazda. Now I’m not a car person, but I can’t deny that the Mazda was quieter, smoother and more comfortable, despite being their bottom-of-the-range family hatchback. It’s better in a lot of ways actually.

I’d never base a car-buying decision on it, as I only do about 3000 miles a year anyway so I don’t really care. But of the two cars, one is definitely ‘a nicer place to be’ than the other.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Quality cars. As you say not the best of the fuel but really good motorway cars.

Honestly, are people really bothered whether their car has cleaner, more modern patterned fabric and lavishly-contoured centre console?

I am no car but and would never spend load on A car but traveling is a nice Merc / BMW or similar for a few hours is so much more comfortable it can make a massive difference to a long journey especially if it’s a regular one. It’s a bit like business class on a plane Vs economy. Economy is not that bad but if you were doing long haul weekly it starts to look a lot more appealing if you have a business you can write the expense off to.

RustyNissanPrairie

We’ve done the long slog from Lancashire to Perpignan (French/Spanish border) numerous times in our V70 and they are a fantastic way to cross continents with the dog happily snoozing in the back.

We also have a low mileage but old Berlingo and it’s a great little car but comfort / NVH levels it is so far removed from the soundproofing and comfort of our Volvo.

singletrackmind

Swirl flaps on that engine fail. Well, they get abit gummy and the actuator motor overwhelms the strength of the rod and it can fail.
    Dpf equipped so will need a monthly Italian tune up to keep it clear.

RustyNissanPrairie

Swirl flaps on that engine fail. Well, they get abit gummy and the actuator motor overwhelms the strength of the rod and it can fail.

👍
    Hopefully get it inside workshop this afternoon and starting making a list.

scruff
    Free Member

Ive been looking for a V50 / V70 for around 3k most of them with traders and are absolutely FKD. First to see will buy my arse. Not bought a car in over 10 years but the second hand stuff Ive seen so far is putting me well off and there doesn’t seem to be many private sales without driving 100 miles to see them. Many been looking at Autotrader and some on ebay, any other places to look?

muddyjames
    Free Member

Bargain rather than banger surely! 500 is ridiculously cheap for a 2010 car based on current prices.

FB-ATB

But of the two cars, one is definitely ‘a nicer place to be’ than the other.

I agree to an extent, but how much better?

Two years ago I changed jobs and had to buy a car after years of company ones.

I got a 13 year old mk5 Golf as a stop gap. It doesn’t have heated seats, steering wheel, DAB like my last company car but for a 20 mile motorway commute it does the job. It has some niceties like leccy windows, aircon, parking sensor. In comparison, if you bought a 12 year old car 10-15 years ago what would that be like.

I’ve toyed with changing it but the tax, insurance, service cost per year is less than c 3 monthly lease payments or finance of something newer. Going for an older car (with current Covid premium) I don’t think will put me anywhere better/risk of an unknown quantity.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

To be fair I had a panda before which was fantastic around the narrow lanes of Devon where I live but on a 200 haul up the M5 it was an absolute ball ache. By comparison the Mk1 focus is a Rolls-Royce.

velocipede
    Free Member

Ive had a few Volvos – currently on a 2012 Xc70 which I’ve had for four years now and put about 50k in it since I bought it – superb car – now has 110k on it but I’m planning on still having it way past 200k…..

I didn’t pay banger money for it but I plan on holding on to it until it is one, and beyond!

reeksy

That’s excellent buying! Second hand cars in Oz are ridiculously expensive. I’m in the process of selling a 2012 4×4 Ute for almost as much as i paid for it 6 years ago and triple the mileage.
    Bought a 2018 Alfa Stelvio last week and I can tell you now it’s a much nicer place to be. Admittedly it’s a different type of vehicle but it will play the same role as commuter and long distance holidays. On a 2000km drive to bring it home (via some very rough roads) i noted the following differences:
    – better suspension than the 4×4 on both rough pothole wrecked roads and fast smooth roads
    – quieter and less road noise
    – way less fuel consumption (~50%)
    – more comfortable seats
    – far better sound system
    – a/c that just works well
    – faster… much much faster.

matt_outandabout

currently on a 2012 Xc70 which I’ve had for four years now and put about 50k in it since I bought it – superb car – now has 110k on it but I’m planning on still having it way past 200k…..

Aye, I had 2013 D3 V70. Put 90k on it in 4.5 years, up to 160k.
    I bailed out when the garage quoted £4k of maintenance and repairs, plus turbo started being a numpty that week…
    I do miss it and wonder if I should have ‘stuck’, but that repair bill was 40% of my new car….

IHN

Ah, that old chestnut.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I had a very early XC90 (2003) and I kept it for something like 12 years. It was good while our 3 girls were growing up and I see it’s still going.
    Notable issues were:
    4WD died so it became 2wd!
    The hand/foot brake system was truly crap and needed attention every year to get it through the MOT (I see nothing’s changed looking at the recent MOTs)
    It ate suspension parts and brakes.

Other than that is was a comfy place to be although a bit underpowered and thirsty for what it was.

nedrapier

Tell you what else will blow your mind: Some people pay a bit more to have a nicer seat on an aeroplane, when it’s not even their own aeroplane! Same with trains!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Love an early Focus, had plenty and was running a 2004 ST170 a few years ago but time moves on and pretty much any current car will be better, let alone a 50k one.

Really not convinced.

They’re all just variations on a black and grey plastic theme with ergonomic seats designed to be ergonomic around someone 3″ shorter than me. At least my old Berlingo was blue inside for a change.

Had a few hire cars recently too and the only change seems to be that in old cars the bluetooth just works once you’ve hit shuffle, in new cars you now have to plug your phone in again to get carplay/android to work.

Basically this:

Nothing will ever make a car more enjoyable than a train, whether that’s a packed ECML train Vs the M1 or the Bakerloo line Vs trying to drive down Mayfair, car’s suck.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s a box with an engine in for carrying shite up and the motorway not a holiday home.

Ever considered a career in marketing? This would be a great strapline for VW vans.

RustyNissanPrairie

Nothing much to report yet – my to do list so far is;

General service (oil & filters, brake fluid)
    Rear discs
    Timing belt and water pump
    Aux belt, idler and alternator one way pulley
    Swirl flap linkage/rod (will probably replace the entire flap mechanism as it’s passed a bit of oil)
    Flush autobox
    Investigate clock spring/DTSC issue
    Clean EGR and cooler

Longer term MrsRNP suggested rebuilding it as an ‘Overlander lite’ – small lift kit, AT tyres, roof rack, recovery points, etc. We’ve had an overland Defender and a Transit camper and have done Morocco/southern Europe, this ’90 would be a good vehicle for the Scandic countries we want to explore/roadtrip.

Dickyboy

Longer term MrsRNP suggested rebuilding it as an ‘Overlander lite’ – small lift kit, AT tyres, roof rack, recovery points, etc

That’s something I’d love to see

willjones
    Free Member

I like all of this.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve joined various FB XC90 groups and was showing MrsRNP a similar one which resulted in the comment “get it mechanically sorted, don’t bother with the paintwork as you know how knocked they get and we’ll go overlanding in it”

One of the many reasons I married her!

Its also cheap enough that if something did happen to it and it had to be left behind/financially written off it wouldn’t smart as much.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d check to see if it’s still got 4wd first then!

Oh and mine devices to drop a core plug after a service resulting in most of the oil being dumped on my drive.
    The fix was a £5 part but £700 to remove and replace the gearbox which was in the way 😩
    Good job it wasn’t 2 days later as we were due to drive to Bristol airport (3 hours) for a big holiday.

This was the final straw and I moved it on fairly shortly afterward.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d check to see if it’s still got 4wd first then!

Oh and mine devices to drop a core plug after a service resulting in most of the oil being dumped on my drive.
    The fix was a £5 part but £700 to remove and replace the gearbox which was in the way 😩
    Good job it wasn’t 2 days later as we were due to drive to Bristol airport (3 hours) for a big holiday.

This was the final straw and I moved it on fairly shortly afterward.

For the DSTC issue check the ABS rings on the front hubs…. I had to replace mine after they corroded and cracked.

sharkbait
    Free Member

…. And is the sound system working ok?
    It’s a MOST fibre optic system that can and does go wrong.
    Mine stopped working which also took out the built-in sat nav so nothing that went through the head unit would work.
    Pretty spendy to fix and that was another reason why it went!!!

RustyNissanPrairie

Not much to report yet, but one interesting fault though – it had the “Anti Skid Fault Service Required” message displayed.
    I know the previous owner (friend of MrsRNP) took the car to a reputable local garage for a Steering Angle Sensor replacement (£300 part). Two weeks later the message flagged up again and not long after the car came to my ownership.
    I have VIDA/DICE which confirmed it was a SAS fault. Removed airbag/wheel etc and noticed a few broken clips on the SAS. Disassembled the SAS unit itself and found the ribbon cable had been damaged. The garage was knowledgeable enough to know you can clean the optical sensor rather than replace the unit as instructed (and paid to do) but weren’t good enough to reassemble it correctly. The cable lasted the two weeks before the rotary element wore through it.

This is why I maintain our own cars.

tony07
    Free Member

Aww don’t talk. Left my Octavia in to a supposedly trained Vw mechanic to track down a coolant leak. Couldn’t find it so said just keep topping it up and it’ll be grand. Ordered myself an endoscope and tracked it down in 5 minutes to the charge cooler.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.