Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Vitus Sommet
  • jimplops

Any real world views on the Sommet or Vitus in general, depending on insurance payout possible choice.

Cheers

oikeith

Which year and model?

A friend has the Vitus Sommet VRS 2018 and its a nice bike. Someone else I know had the normal Sommet from 2016 which is now a bit dated.

jimplops

Looking at 2018vrs, obviously that depends on timescale and stock levels lol.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I have that exact model. It’s a great bike. Good value well thought out spec. Better suspension than the YT jeffsy it replaced, more active and better controlled but it also pedals well.

Where are you and what’s the intended use? Needless to say it’s not particularly light and like any long travel bike needs some rocky steep terrain to get the best out of it.

jimplops

Cheers sounds good, not particularly bothered by weight, my codeine wasn’t light. It’ll be used lakes and peaks, with the odd trip to wales.

gallowayboy

My son has a 2017 Sommet, suits him well enough for local riding, PMBA enduro, BPW and Revolution trips. He likes it – its not the easiest going uphill, bit of a beast downhill. Suits his aggressive riding style well.  Excellent value but:

Check that parts like mech hangers are available, if they are buy several. His are unavailable and although a universal hanger may be available I couldn’t find one. Also the Novatec rear hub bearings wore out after three months, and the freehub pawls disintegrated at the same time – pawl sets for that hub not available in UK, so although CRC sent a new freehub under warrenty, I’m not expecting it to last very long – a set of better stronger wheels will be his first upgrade.

If you get one, check every bolt, spoke, and bearing as soon as its out of the box!

fizik
    Free Member

Built a 2018 escarpe 29 up coming from a codeine. Better in every way. Nice neat cable routing, very quiet. Rides really well, active under braking pedals well, rear ward axle path means it really picks up speed in the rough and long chainstays keep it nice and planted on technical climbs. Lower shock bolt worked a bit loose but no problems otherwise, 2k18 mech hangars were easy to get hold of too. Frame also doesn’t have an integrated headset which is good as makes adding an angleset easy to keep it up to date. I went -2 degrees straight out of the box it’s a weapon . Usual trails are lakes based but feels fine in the tight twisty stuff too. http://flic.kr/p/2ckFpey

1timmy1
    Free Member

Does anyone know the torque specs of the frame suspension bolts?

freeridenick
    Free Member

I bought a 2018 sommet vrx 2 months ago

hell of a bike for the 2.7k !!!

Took it to Ridgeline in Tuscany last month and no issues apart from a few bolts needed tightening..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Vitus Sommet’ is closed to new replies.